Social Media Thread

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
As I predicted the American election was going to be a massive story. I see 2021 being about social media censorship in a big way.

Let’s start with this.

Twitter wants you to think it cares about violence and racism and political threats, which is why they say they banned Trump, but consider this.

Big tech now understand that every congressional oversight committee will be run by a democrat for the next 2 years at least. The democrats want Trump smeared. Big tech obliged by banning Trump with the unspoken idea that if they keep the democrats happy, the democrats won’t regulate big tech/social media while they’re in power.

Anyone who thinks any of those social media companies care (unbiasedly) can read these tweets from accounts which are not deleted.

Including from Colin Kaepernick who media outlets love to depict as an innocent victim of racism.

Also from Kamala Harris who uses Twitter to finance bail for people arrested for rioting and looting (tweet below)

Attachments

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Corporations doing dodgy shit for their own benefit = duh!
Yes this is the other obvious point. Big tech can destroy any other tech company they wish to. Google and Apple controls the fate of any company hoping to be successful. They can literally kill the ability of anyone hoping to become one of their competitors.

in any other industry this behaviour is illegal and would be prosecuted.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes this is the other obvious point. Big tech can destroy any other tech company they wish to. Google and Apple controls the fate of any company hoping to be successful. They can literally kill the ability of anyone hoping to become one of their competitors.

in any other industry this behaviour is illegal and would be prosecuted.
LMFAO, what you never heard of the Woolworths/Coles duopoly? Westfarmers? Transurban? I could list you 100 of the biggest companies in Australia that do dodgy shit for their own good, I'll even link you the website of their propaganda machine - https://www.bca.com.au/ that covers all the dodgy shit they do for their own good.

You're gunna be busy dude critiquing all those, but hey, you'll have purpose.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
LMFAO, what you never heard of the Woolworths/Coles duopoly? Westfarmers? Transurban? I could list you 100 of the biggest companies in Australia that do dodgy shit for their own good, I'll even link you the website of their propaganda machine - https://www.bca.com.au/ that covers all the dodgy shit they do for their own good.

You're gunna be busy dude critiquing all those, but hey, you'll have purpose.
Yes but they are subject to investigation and have been prosecuted for anti competitive behaviour before.

If you want to talk supermarkets you‘ll need to discuss barriers to entry which are no where near as high as with big tech.

Aldi successfully entered the Australian market and while coles and Woolworths are dominant there are other solid options for the consumer:

Aldi
IGA
Harris Farm
Online offerings direct from farms with delivery (fresh produce)
Corner stores (for a smaller range)

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes but they are subject to investigation and have been prosecuted for anti competitive behaviour before.

If you want to talk supermarkets you‘ll need to discuss barriers to entry which are no where near as high as with big tech.

Aldi successfully entered the Australian market and while coles and Woolworths are dominant there are other solid options for the consumer:

Aldi
IGA
Harris Farm
Online offerings direct from farms with delivery (fresh produce)
Corner stores (for a smaller range)
Compelling analysis. When you're done with the other 98 let me know.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hope the 70% ownership of all Australia-wide media monopoly by Murdoch is thoroughly investigated on here.

He is every bit the Kingmaker here as big tech!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Hope the 70% ownership of all Australia-wide media monopoly by Murdoch is thoroughly investigated on here.

He is every bit the Kingmaker here as big tech!
How many australian social media platforms are having their publication / platform restricted / deleted by News Corp?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Oh sorry it's a social media/big tech only discussion...not supermarkets, Colin Kaepernick, Kamala Harris nor Rupert Murdoch you say ...though who has by far the most DIRECT social influence in UK, USA and OZ than any other one social media platform.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Oh sorry it's a social media/big tech only discussion...not supermarkets, Colin Kaepernick, Kamala Harris nor Rupert Murdoch you say ...though who has by far the most DIRECT social influence in UK, USA and OZ than any other one social media platform.
The most direct influence on the dissemination of information in Australia and any other western country is google, facebook and twitter and then a couple of other tech companies.

Legacy media like fairfax and newscorp is old hat. They have far less ability to sway an election or to influence a large group of people's opinions. I'm not saying they have no influence, just that their influence is far less than big tech.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not on social media thankfully. Although does Insta count, I’m purely there for the active wear

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most direct influence on the dissemination of information in Australia and any other western country is google, facebook and twitter and then a couple of other tech companies.

Legacy media like fairfax and newscorp is old hat. They have far less ability to sway an election or to influence a large group of people's opinions. I'm not saying they have no influence, just that their influence is far less than big tech.
You aren't even on them and they influence you! Could this be the first time you've been right about something?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone wondering why Parler was taken out by big tech:

Parler was #1 on the App Store prior to being banned

Amazon is the largest cloud storage vendor in the world. Parler uses them to host their services.

Amazon gave Parler 24 hours notice that they were pulling their 300-500 servers which Parler is hosted on.

This is a wide scale attempt to destroy competition and silence anyone who won't post 'approved thoughts'.

On the topic of 'approved thoughts' - Hacky would go great on facebook and the other platforms. He's a gold star student when it comes to repeating things that have been fed to him.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone wondering why Parler was taken out by big tech:

Parler was #1 on the App Store prior to being banned

Amazon is the largest cloud storage vendor in the world. Parler uses them to host their services.

Amazon gave Parler 24 hours notice that they were pulling their 300-500 servers which Parler is hosted on.

This is a wide scale attempt to destroy competition and silence anyone who won't post 'approved thoughts'.

On the topic of 'approved thoughts' - Hacky would go great on facebook and the other platforms. He's a gold star student when it comes to repeating accurate scientific research.
Fixed it for ya

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what's you answer dawg, regulate the fark out of big tech? And here I thought you were a conservative.