So much for ‘hands off’, Trent? Barrett targets Panthers trio in stunning raid

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trent doesn't work there any more - if the Panthers thought we would never approach one of their players they were being very naive.

Personally I just want the best players in the best positions - doesn't matter what club they're at, if they're off contract we're open to talk to them.
Even if there contracted who gives a shit, teams have raided our contracted stars many times in the past, time for our club to be ruthless and chase whoever they want

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL yep so other clubs can target them when there off contract and we will just twiddle our thumbs.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extremely keen on Burton coming to our great club. Just curious to where Averillo fits into everything. I would like to see Barrett at least see the kid at training to see his potential also. If Addo as speculated is a chance and wanting fullback, does Avo play Center??
I can't see avo not being in Barretts plans, he would be exactly the type of player he would like to have, all out attack. Imo he will improve immensely next year under baz

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
Avo isn’t a centre in my opinion. If we miss out on Burton I’d love to see him get a crack at 5/8, only thing that worries me is the lack of experience we’d have in the halves.
Either 5/8 or FB. He needs his hands in the footy more.
I reckon this kid could be a 2012 barba type fullback with the right coaching, he's a natural

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look at the date stamp October 28, 2020 11:23am I know that the news was reported yesterday but where there is smoke there is fire. At times I feel as though I'm clutching at straws looking for a positive angle for our club and us fans.
It wasnt a dig at you, more a dig at the terrorgraph for reporting yesterday's news today. Lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wasnt a dig at you, more a dig at the terrorgraph for reporting yesterday's news today. Lol
All good brother.....I have always rated you among the better posters. Even if at times our opinions differed :grinning:

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sign a few good players and others will follow if we get JAC just watch the flood gates open

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We gunna dump dwz off hopefully dragons are keen

No forgot addo carr instead must get addo carr

Katoni probably watching thinking cant wait to join the dogs soon
So long as we secure Burton first.
We won't be able to off load DWZ without having to pay some of the freight!

We are paying DWZ to be a fullback and Cotric to be a centre, but both are wingers. We can't afford to pay overs for another winger.

Money will be better spend securing Burton.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
PANTHERS

• October 28, 2020 11:23am
  • by TYSON OTTO
  • Source: news.com.au

Kyle Flanagan joins Bulldogs

Kyle Flanagan joins Bulldogs
1:15

Former Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett reportedly has his eyes on three Panthers stars in a dream “wish list”.
The new Bulldogs coach has had his eye on rising star Matt Burton since July — but the talented playmaker is just the tip of the iceberg in the Bulldogs’ planned raid on the minor premiers’ squad.

The Daily Telegraph’s Dean Ritchie on Wednesday told Sky Sports Radio the Bulldogs also have their eye on star forward Isaah Yeo and newly-selected NSW State of Origin star Stephen Crichton.

Ritchie said the Bulldogs are “privately hopeful” they could steal Burton for the 2021 season — despite the 20-year-old remaining contracted to the Panthers until the end of next season.
“They do hope privately though, if he agrees to 2022 they’ll try and bring it forward,” he said.
“You know how it works, you get an early release pretty easily these days.”
Crichton and Yeo are also reported to be off-contract at the end of 2021.
Matt Burton has options.
Matt Burton has options.Source: AAP

However, the Dogs will have a fight on their hands with the Storm, Tigers and Cowboys all reportedly chasing Burton, who was squeezed out of the Panthers starting side by the impressive form of playmaker Jarome Luai and fullback Dylan Edwards.
It comes after the Panthers earlier this year warned Barrett against trying to steal their stars as he finished his role as the club’s senior assistant under Ivan Cleary this season.
Ritchie said the cashed-up Dogs are also the front-runners to sign Storm winger Josh Addo-Carr, just days after the club confirmed the signing of former Roosters halfback Kyle Flanagan.
Flanagan confirmed his departure with an Instagram post on Monday.
“Shocked and Disappointed. I want to thank everyone involved with my time at the @sydneyroosters,” Flanagan wrote. “A rollercoaster year but full of memories I’ll remember forever.
“To the fans, I appreciate the ongoing support, it’s been unreal. To the lads, I loved every minute with you boys.”
It was earlier reported on Monday that Flanagan’s move to the Bulldogs will trigger a “player frenzy” which could see Cowboys star Jake Clifford make a move to the Knights.
Id be going hard for Burton and Crichton as a potential FB. He has a great body shape for FB Crichton. Forget JAC for FB if we can snare Crighton for 2022. Yeo doesn't bring much different to what we already have.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Penrith lock Isaah Yeo is humbled that incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett wants him to sign at Belmore but believes he owes it to the Panthers to stay.
Yeo was surprised when reports surfaced suggesting Barrett is keen to lure him to the Bulldogs when he comes off-contract at the end of 2021.

The Dubbo-born forward is a free agent from November 1, but he feels like his future belongs at the foot of the mountains.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I

I reckon this kid could be a 2012 barba type fullback with the right coaching, he's a natural
No chance, go look at Barba in 2010 even...he was easily the best player on the park when he came on, didn’t look like his size bothered him at all.

Averillo is far more of a ball player, much better kicking game and vision but if you’re talking pure talent Barba is way up there.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for much of the noughties, our club was pillaged by the likes of the Sharks, Cowboys and Roosters... the salary cap punishes success and developing players

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No chance, go look at Barba in 2010 even...he was easily the best player on the park when he came on, didn’t look like his size bothered him at all.

Averillo is far more of a ball player, much better kicking game and vision but if you’re talking pure talent Barba is way up there.
He hasn't really been given a proper go, playing in a terrible team and out of position, it's very hard for him to develop, his lower grades highlights show just how much natural skill this kid has.
He will shine with barrett as coach