Smith not a factor in Willie decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Andrew Webster Source: The Daily Telegraph
THE decision to cut Willie Mason adrift was made before Brian Smith was appointed coach. It is a directive that won't change. Mason won't play in the Tricolours again.

"I seriously doubt he will be playing first grade for the Roosters," captain Braith Anasta said in an exclusive blog for The Daily Telegraph yesterday. "But I'm sure he'll play first grade somewhere and I wish him all the best."

Smith won't comment on the situation and chief executive Steve Noyce would only offer: "Willie and I have had a number of chats about his involvement here and the opportunities that may have been elsewhere. How that plays out, I'm not sure."

Behind the scenes, those who matter steadfastly believe that Mason has no place at their club. It is a belief held firm by chairman Nick Politis and the board, and was in place long before Smith was announced as Brad Fittler's replacement. Smith has merely stayed out of it.

The decision to sign Mason in late 2007 had a whiff of getting one up on the Bulldogs, the side that beat them in the 2004 Grand Final.

Now Mason has the Roosters over a barrel. The Roosters won't pay out the final year of his contract - reportedly worth about $400,000 - so another NRL side can snap him up in the second-tier salary cap.

That they are prepared to sacrifice that amount as they cultivate a new culture is significant.

The perception at the top is that Mason has been a toxic influence on the younger players. Many felt he undermined Fittler during the year.

Whether he relocates to Japan, France, another NRL club or the Roosters' feeder club Newtown is of little consequence to the powers that be.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would love to pull out a few of Masons quotes sucking Roosters c*ck a few years back...

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Here you go G-Dog ......

* Nov 2, 2007 - ""I'm prepared to take a $350,000 pay cut and play for match payments only. If it came down to money and playing for another club I'd be more than happy to play next year for match payments only."

@ http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/odds-on-mason-being-let-off-chain/story-e6frg7n6-1111114790252
* Nov 15, 2007 - "I can't believe he called me a bad influence on the younger players - I've been a good influence on those kids.

"He wouldn't have half the team there if it wasn't for me. We'll see what influence he has when half his team leaves next year. Then you'll see what type of influence I had over the club."

@ http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1320238/1453087?cfb3=3
* April 1, 2009 - ""I'm very happy at the club. I have got two years here and if I feel good after the contract and feel like I can compete in Australia at the top level I want to re-sign with the Roosters," Mason said. "Nick Politis (club chairman) rang me straight away and laughed it off and said he is never going to get rid of me."

@ http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10564613

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I'll keep 'em coming all day as I find them - Google News is a goldmine !

February 4, 2008 - "I just think the smart bloke that Brad Fittler is and the people he's got around him, he can improve my game a hell of a lot," Mason said.

@ http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/id-have-burnt-out-at-prop-willie/story-e6frg7n6-1111115465914
April 4, 2008 - But the outspoken forward couldn't resist a nibble, claiming he already had benefited from spending just five months working under Roosters coach Brad Fittler.

"More life skills I suppose, (Fittler's) a bit more of a mentor," Mason said of Fittler's tutelage.

"He's taught me to be a better person, a lot more humble and getting my life outside of football in order."

@ http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411749/1685585

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Bahahahahahahah!!!

These quotes are gold lmaooo

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
I think his playing mind games and will play with newtown jets for 2010.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
how'd your national team go against the Aussies in the cricket yesterday, smartass? Not so clever now, are ya

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I am Indian, not Pakistani. There is a difference, I swear!!!

Not so clever now, are ya hick.

zeedog

Bulldog Fanatic
Reaction score
What about the one where Mas said " I want to finish my career at the Roosters..."

LOL...could be his last year in first grade if he sticks by his words :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.