Opinion Slater

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know he has only coached 3 origin games but I think Slater has what it takes to be a top FG coach possibly from the same cloth as some of our greats the way he coached lasts nights game and the plan going into it I think he has got what it takes I’m not saying be our head coach but maybe assistant

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
would be better than Fittler (which is surely no chance) but I still think we need someone experienced for the job (who isn't Paul Green).

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know he has only coached 3 origin games but I think Slater has what it takes to be a top FG coach possibly from the same cloth as some of our greats the way he coached lasts nights game and the plan going into it I think he has got what it takes I’m not saying be our head coach but maybe assistant
He said no way am i thinking about coaching an Nrl team at the moment.
Note that he said No Way twice! Lol

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon throw the bank at him to work with our young backs...

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently while he was playing at state and domestic level he was the one who came up with a lot of the game plans and saw things in the game that others couldn’t

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Can't see him leaving a cushy media job and the maroons coaching gig just to be our assistant. I do agree he has a pretty good footy brain and will make a good NRL head coach one day.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I see it , a club player playing SOO is a big step up. An origin coach coaching a club side is a big step up too for different reasons.
I did however like that slater took his team from the disaster of game 2 and win this game without Munster and a depleted squad as the game went on. Seems to have way better footy smarts than Fittler.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hes shown more coaching brain in a few games than unFittler has in a few origin serieses

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't see him leaving a cushy media job and the maroons coaching gig just to be our assistant. I do agree he has a pretty good footy brain and will make a good NRL head coach one day.
10000% he will end up a first grade coach. It’s always been earmarked for him even when he was playing. Slater will do a Gould, coach first and then slide into media full time once he has scratched that itch.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happened to all the Slater haters?
He obviously planned a bit of blood and hate in the cauldron and it got them home.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s got that “it” factor , he knows what he’s doing . Would 100% take him

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Showed in 3 games he can get his team up from a psychological stand point and have playing a very high intensity for 80 minutes.

Coincidingly QLD showed some exceptional Melboroune type plays which would’ve came from Slaters way.

At NRL club level it’s different however. You worry about 25 games instead of 3. No luxury of picking the best 17 in the state.

End of the day won’t happen.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement until he coach's at NRL level. Yes he did very well at Origin, but it's three times a year with the best players.

I'd suggest Origin coaches are more Mentors with a splash of coaching whereas NRL is full on coaching.

In saying that, if he were to transition to NRL, I believe he would ace it.