Not open for further replies.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Phil Gould
Chris Anderson
Steve Folkes

What do they have in common?
All premiership winning coaches with the Bulldogs, who got their FG coaching debut at the Dogs.

Just because it appears that there are no "recognised"coaches on the market, it doesn't mean that there isn't ANYONE out there capable of doing the job FFS!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The single most important work facing the Club is to get a suitable replacement for Hasler. Can anyone get us back to our roots as the 'entertainers' in attack.... or are we gone forever ?
I don't want to be "the entertainers". I just want to win.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Phil Gould
Chris Anderson
Steve Folkes

What do they have in common?
All premiership winning coaches with the Bulldogs, who got their FG coaching debut at the Dogs.

Just because it appears that there are no "recognised"coaches on the market, it doesn't mean that there isn't ANYONE out there capable of doing the job FFS!
Great post. The last few premiership winners are also relative rookies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post. The last few premiership winners are also relative rookies.
Not really, both Robinson and maguire were coaches in the English Super League before coming back here and Paul Green apart from being assistant coach to Bennett and Robinson was also a head coach in the Qld Cup for a couple of years on top of coaching the Roosters U20s. They all had long stints as coaches before stepping up. At the end of the day no-one is going to get a run in the NRL unless they have demonstrated their worth as a coach in some other arena.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really, both Robinson and maguire were coaches in the English Super League before coming back here and Paul Green apart from being assistant coach to Bennett and Robinson was also a head coach in the Qld Cup for a couple of years on top of coaching the Roosters U20s. They all had long stints as coaches before stepping up. At the end of the day no-one is going to get a run in the NRL unless they have demonstrated their worth as a coach in some other arena.
I'm more than happy to give someone like that a shot. Dean Pay is similar to what you have mentioned, someone who has done a reasonable apprenticeship.

But waiting for a proven NRL coach to become available or putting up with Hasler just for the sake of it isn't good enough in my books but that's my personal opinion.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm more than happy to give someone like that a shot. Dean Pay is similar to what you have mentioned, someone who has done a reasonable apprenticeship.

But waiting for a proven NRL coach to become available or putting up with Hasler just for the sake of it isn't good enough in my books but that's my personal opinion.
Pay certainly ticks some boxes in terms of knowing the dogs culture and brand of play along with knowledge of the fans. I know he has done a bit of lower grades (U/20s?) coaching and is down in Canberra as an assistant but I don't get the sense he has a strong enough winning background as a coach to warrant the step up.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay certainly ticks some boxes in terms of knowing the dogs culture and brand of play along with knowledge of the fans. I know he has done a bit of lower grades (U/20s?) coaching and is down in Canberra as an assistant but I don't get the sense he has a strong enough winning background as a coach to warrant the step up.
At the end of the day there are risks with any coach. I think 6 years of sticking with what you've got is long enough, based on 2017 I think someone new is needed.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everything is a crisis these days in the media: "The Petrol Price Crisis" "Supermarket War Crisis" I'm over it.

I'm not buying into any of this drama, we are going through a rebuilding phase and it's going to take time. The clear out has already begun.

If we are rubbish again next year that is inexcusable and Hasler must go. 1 bad season out of 6 is ok.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Everything is a crisis these days in the media: "The Petrol Price Crisis" "Supermarket War Crisis" I'm over it.

I'm not buying into any of this drama, we are going through a rebuilding phase and it's going to take time. The clear out has already begun.

If we are rubbish again next year that is inexcusable and Hasler must go. 1 bad season out of 6 is ok.
The team has been shit for a number of years tbh.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I don't know if I'm in that group but I have said all along I don't care who the coach is so long as he is the best one that is available and nothing has changed, there is no-one better available so from my view we have no other choice currently than to put up with it. Half baked assistant coaches and lower grade coaches never cut it long term. Go find a good coach from ESL and I'm in but there is no-one in Australia that is better than Des at the moment who is available.
If Des is the best coach available then we are in a world of trouble. Surely ANYBODY could utilise the salary cap better than Des / Raelene have. Nothing appears to have changed in 3 years. ANYBODY would have made changes by now. The player development is non-existent ANYBODY could do a better job. It is only this week that he has dropped any players & they were Holland & Lee. Surely Fatsiano & Fatwood should be in the 2s? PArt of the problem is that 90% of the salary cap is spent on 17 players & there is nothing in the cupboard to replace out of form players.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Not that Nick Tedeschi flog again. He loves sticking the knife in.

Did the real article say "Bulldigs" as well? LOL
This whole post confuses me because it is a copy paste of an article that has links to tweets in the middle of it. It is annoying me so much that I am going to spend a bit of time cleaning it up. That Bulldigs bit is from a tweet.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This whole post confuses me because it is a copy paste of an article that has links to tweets in the middle of it. It is annoying me so much that I am going to spend a bit of time cleaning it up. That Bulldigs bit is from a tweet.
Cheers mate ... I was reading it on my phone and it was a mess.

Looks like a real mishmash of an article which we've heard 1000000 times already nonetheless.

Stargate44

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
MOVE HEAVEN AND EARTH FOR PAY 2018 COACH... THEN AGAIN 2017..... (NOW!!!!!) ..... HAS A RING TO IT....

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The single most important work facing the Club is to get a suitable replacement for Hasler. Can anyone get us back to our roots as the 'entertainers' in attack.... or are we gone forever ?
Think our real roots is hard nosed and brutal defence with an element of skill in the backline on the back of good halves. Entertainers occasionally win a comp and look great when they win 38-0, but on most occasions they lose the important games that count when these games become arm wrestles.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is that I've seen Melbourne go to shit in the past when two of the big three were out for prolonged periods. Supposedly Bellamy plans to retire when those big three retire. I've seen Belamy coach NSW with bugger all success. Point I'm getting at is the tools of a coach are his players. Those tools are very sophisticated, but they're his tools all the same. Give the best carpenter in the world a kitchen knife to use as a saw and a rock for a hammer and they won't be able to make good furniture. Coaches are the same if their tools aren't up to scratch. Look at Bennett when he's had shit sides at his disposal. When he has at least one half with exceptional kicking he has been able to push for a premiership. St George won a premiership with the most boring playing style in the world based on possession and Sowards ability to land that football wherever he wanted. I think these are all reasonable comparisons.

So based on the comparisons I'm hoping that Hasler is at this point the carpenter using a knife and a rock to shape his creation. Our forward pack is not the issue, but our spine certainly has glaring weaknesses. Kicking being the most obvious. Even moving Ennis on caused them to lose punch though. Lets equate the hooker to a vice that keeps things in place while he's working to assemble things. When Barba moved on we struggled to replace him with a decent fullback too. Hopoate was something of a quality replacement and when B-Moz has played fullback and been fit we've looked better too. I think this gives further emphasis to my point.

My hope is that he's picked up enough good tools to get his workshop in a good state. Even lacking those vital tools we've made the finals every year and before Ennis left we even got as far as the grand final twice. Woith Ennis available in the last one we played we might have even completed better during that game. I might be wrong but as a football fan my preference is to hope for the best every year rather than dwelling on the worst like some others choose to do. If we play like shit next year I'll be closer to the sack Hasler bandwagon. But for now I'm going to hope for the best for my own sanity. I don't care if I'm clutching at straws. I've put plenty of thought into why our game is thing wrong and even taken into account the opinions of others. If we start each play off on the front foot with a good hooker our engine room will be more effective and our halves get more time when they need it. Given at least one half with true vision and th he skills to implement what they see we can hopefully finish sets well. If these are the straws I'm clutching so be it.
Agree with the above comments. Once again though it highlights our poor recruitment and retention under Des.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score

We should have jumped at Ivan Cleary given the sustained decline throughout the grades and Des recent record with a full strength roster.

Ivan has done an amazing job at strengthening the Tigpies roster in no time at all.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should have jumped at Ivan Cleary given the sustained decline throughout the grades and Des recent record with a full strength roster.

Ivan has done an amazing job at strengthening the Tigpies roster in no time at all.
He did have something like 19 players off contract so it was a massive opportunity to shape the side with players he wanted. There are also quite a. Lot of players who times coming off contract to coincide with the that that the expectation of a large salary cap increase was in the pop pipeline for this year.

Three of the stalwarts there who reportedly stayed for loyalty last time their contracts were up for renewal still left this time around. While. The media suggests frequently that a shitfight is occurring at our club it really is at the tigers who have factions from wests and balmain. If we had to replace Hasler I'd have wanted it to be with Cleary since he had a good record for finding and giving pathways to young talent as opposed to Haslers stance of trying to buy solutions.

Reality for us is that we've finally seen th he club splash out on a big name half and reports suggest we chased th he big name fullback that people have been whinging about since Ratboy was allowed to leave.

If the changes we are making to the roster fail next year, Hasler won't see out his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.