Sio Siua Taukeiaho Signed

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought SST looked pretty decent in the semifinal and the final. I realize ESL is way short of NRL standard, but the kind of stuff he does - takes the ball up strongly, tackles well, occasionally gets an offload away - would transfer well to the higher level. Plus he has played several good seasons of NRL and he isn't old enough to be looking to top up his pension.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bevan French in a Dogs jumper. He is the best player in Super League and daylight is second. Patrick Mago looked decent also, but he has played in the NRL before without making much of a mark.
Id say Welsby is best.
Ppl forget Bevan French was also considered a sicc player in the NRL too just had some kinks he has ironed out.
I was very surprised he stayed ans re-signed at Wigan, because usually aboriginal players get a bit sulky and homesick if they have options in the NRL which he did. But guessing Wigan gave him a marquee deal and he has a gf there or something.

Jippst

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
SST's busted ! He said it himself before he left..If he does sign then you'd hope we 'd have a plan B

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
SST played okay in the grand final but had a really good game in the semi-final. The player I would be trying to sign would be Wigan’s No 13 Morgan Smithies, he shows a lot of promise.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
SST's busted ! He said it himself before he left..If he does sign then you'd hope we 'd have a plan B
He had a bad knee injury (trapped awkwardly in a tackle) late in 2021 that just would not heal. It kept reoccurring in 2022 and he lost confidence that he would be able to play at the same level. That’s when the chooks decided not to resign him, so he was mentally down as well.

He finally had the surgery for his Catalans season, plainly he needed it. Hardly any pre season at all and he was playing quite well and getting fitter at the end of the ESL season.

Physically ok and mentally ready for a return to the NRL? The full NRL quality preseason will set him up, maybe he will maybe he won’t, let’s wait and see.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He had a bad knee injury (trapped awkwardly in a tackle) late in 2021 that just would not heal. It kept reoccurring in 2022 and he lost confidence that he would be able to play at the same level. That’s when the chooks decided not to resign him, so he was mentally down as well.

He finally had the surgery for his Catalans season, plainly he needed it. Hardly any pre season at all and he was playing quite well and getting fitter at the end of the ESL season.

Physically ok and mentally ready for a return to the NRL? The full NRL quality preseason will set him up, maybe he will maybe he won’t, let’s wait and see.

Always a Bulldog
Chooks decided to let him go before 2022.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
I sincerely hope he will be ready but to be honest I wasn't impressed from what I've seen in the ESL grand final.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Relying solely on memory I thought the decision was based on the 2022 preseason. It was announced by the Chooks in May 2022.

Always a Bulldog
SST had a poor season in 2021 (his worst ever in the NRL, redeemed himself in 2022). Rooster decision was based on that.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If it’s not this week he’s taking the piss

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
SST had a poor season in 2021 (his worst ever in the NRL, redeemed himself in 2022). Rooster decision was based on that.
Bennett chased him hard for the Dolphins at the end of 2021, it may have been “his worst” season but it wasn’t that bad, 136 run metres with 53 post contact, hardly horrible. There were quite a few games where Robinson played him with a hamstring injury, even Robinson admitted that he was only at 70%. Some players were also affected by the Covid restrictions more than others, being separated from family, from memory he has 3 sons under 7.

I’m looking forward to seeing how he goes.

Always a Bulldog

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
SST played okay in the grand final but had a really good game in the semi-final. The player I would be trying to sign would be Wigan’s No 13 Morgan Smithies, he shows a lot of promise.
The lad goes alright. Just seen Stickys going after him.

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Smithies has served a lot of suspensions in his Super League career which would be a bit of a red flag. He has been pinged for headbutting, crusher, high and hip drop tackles. Considering our success with ill-disciplined forwards in recent times, he'd be a risk.

It will be interesting to see how he goes at the Raiders, Sticky has had a fair bit of success with English players and the kid has talent.

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Did a mini dive on SST and watched the Catalans v Saints semi (switching between 1.0x and 3.0x speed)

He was definitely very involved throughout his two stints (20 mins, 25 mins), taking a hit-up virtually every attacking set, even if heavily involved in defence the previous set. He ran for 134m, though I don't know how many were directly from hit-ups. His hit-ups were very Ava like (although he does change direction in the lead up a lot more), meaning they didn't have a heap of explosiveness, but were consistent. As such, he sometimes lost a metre or two in the collision against eager (and semi-final) defence, and started bending the defence back when they were more fatigued, for e.g. his best run late in the second half (and had a few more similar after this):
chrome-capture-2023-9-17.gif
He moved the ball laterally a few times, which usually wasn't effective, but in this instance he showed some ball playing skills and helped create one of the few line breaks in this match
chrome-capture-2023-9-17 (1).gif
(he is the pixel that passes the ball right before the line and gets tackled)

He was active in defence and covered a lot of ground from first marker to close the gap between ruck and first defender every time, and looked to be constantly communicating from marker. I didn't notice laziness, though he reportedly missed 4 tackles (which I probably missed during the sped up parts).

I also listened to his Bloke in a Bar interview where he talks about stepping away from the NRL, and it wasn't as doom and gloom as I'd thought it would be based on how some on here have referenced it. He definitely says his body was "done" at the time of leaving the Roosters for Catalans, saying that he had calf, hammy, and quad injuries, which would take turns getting injured just as one healed, and he felt that he couldn't deliver for the Roosters at an NRL(/ "Roosters") standard. Thus, he says he felt it better to go to the Super league to "relax for a bit", which in the context felt to me like a step away from the NRL to heal up, essentially in high-paying reserves, and then potentially return. He even says that during the Roosters end of season review there was talk of an eventual return, with him saying "I don't know, I might come back, but the lifestyle over there looks a lot more relaxed...".

Make what you want of this info dump. I don't know if he will be a good signing or not, but at least his admission of his body being kaput was at the time of leaving the NRL, with it sounding like a return decision hinged on whether he would be mentally willing to put his body back through it, after it recovered in Super League. Seems like he's had injuries throughout Super League, but unless we are making an exception for him, he would have had to pass our medical. Fingers crossed?

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Did a mini dive on SST and watched the Catalans v Saints semi (switching between 1.0x and 3.0x speed)

He was definitely very involved throughout his two stints (20 mins, 25 mins), taking a hit-up virtually every attacking set, even if heavily involved in defence the previous set. He ran for 134m, though I don't know how many were directly from hit-ups. His hit-ups were very Ava like (although he does change direction in the lead up a lot more), meaning they didn't have a heap of explosiveness, but were consistent. As such, he sometimes lost a metre or two in the collision against eager (and semi-final) defence, and started bending the defence back when they were more fatigued, for e.g. his best run late in the second half (and had a few more similar after this):
View attachment 87017
He moved the ball laterally a few times, which usually wasn't effective, but in this instance he showed some ball playing skills and helped create one of the few line breaks in this match
View attachment 87018
(he is the pixel that passes the ball right before the line and gets tackled)

He was active in defence and covered a lot of ground from first marker to close the gap between ruck and first defender every time, and looked to be constantly communicating from marker. I didn't notice laziness, though he reportedly missed 4 tackles (which I probably missed during the sped up parts).

I also listened to his Bloke in a Bar interview where he talks about stepping away from the NRL, and it wasn't as doom and gloom as I'd thought it would be based on how some on here have referenced it. He definitely says his body was "done" at the time of leaving the Roosters for Catalans, saying that he had calf, hammy, and quad injuries, which would take turns getting injured just as one healed, and he felt that he couldn't deliver for the Roosters at an NRL(/ "Roosters") standard. Thus, he says he felt it better to go to the Super league to "relax for a bit", which in the context felt to me like a step away from the NRL to heal up, essentially in high-paying reserves, and then potentially return. He even says that during the Roosters end of season review there was talk of an eventual return, with him saying "I don't know, I might come back, but the lifestyle over there looks a lot more relaxed...".

Make what you want of this info dump. I don't know if he will be a good signing or not, but at least his admission of his body being kaput was at the time of leaving the NRL, with it sounding like a return decision hinged on whether he would be mentally willing to put his body back through it, after it recovered in Super League. Seems like he's had injuries throughout Super League, but unless we are making an exception for him, he would have had to pass our medical. Fingers crossed
Im convinced
Hes our forward leader

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Smithies may have signed with the raiders

Achilles

Back to Belmore
Reaction score
Sen.com.au. From Michael Carayannis

However, Carayannis noted that the Bulldogs are yet to announce the signing of premiership winning forward Sio Siua Taukeiaho.

“Still not announced is Taukeiaho who has signed for the Bulldogs for next season on a good money deal,” Carayannis added.

“That’s because he hasn’t officially been released from Catalans (in the Super League).

“He still has a deal with Catalans and Catalans are still trying to work out with the Bulldogs what sort of compensation they will receive to release him.

“He arrived at the club as a marquee signing and he has only played seven games this year.

“It hasn’t worked out for Catalans.”