News Signed 2 years. Suluka Fifita

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We could do worse than sign him, there isn't much else available ATM,he would be cheap and would add a bit of size to our pack

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't see him as a starting prop but might be okay off the bench if we can also snag May and Stefano.

Starting props May and Stefano with this guy plus Knight and King off the bench. Seve in future

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There just aint good props available at the moment. It was the same last year where only a couple of good props changed clubs in Leniu and Flegler.

I don't think theres that many establish good props available for next year either. Maybe Hamlin-Uele or Jack de Belin, I think Hargreaves is available but he won't leave the Roosters if not retire.

So clubs have to go for good young props that havn't yet been established and then develop them. Like Terrell May, Sione Fainu, Klese Haas, Pasami Saulo or Suluka-Fifita who the Dogs are chasing now. I think another prop like Terrell May will be a good combo we can develop as they have size and agression and will come a lot cheaper than paying for an established prop that is subject to a bidding war.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
There just aint good props available at the moment. It was the same last year where only a couple of good props changed clubs in Leniu and Flegler.

I don't think theres that many establish good props available for next year either. Maybe Hamlin-Uele or Jack de Belin, I think Hargreaves is available but he won't leave the Roosters if not retire.

So clubs have to go for good young props that havn't yet been established and then develop them. Like Terrell May, Sione Fainu, Klese Haas, Pasami Saulo or Suluka-Fifita who the Dogs are chasing now. I think another prop like Terrell May will be a good combo we can develop as they have size and agression and will come a lot cheaper than paying for an established prop that is subject to a bidding war.
Exactly, the player market isn’t what it used to be . Another qld team has changed the dynamics a little as well as the cap increase. Development is the only way out and that seems like short term & long term.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unfortunately we will be caught up in a bidding war especially if we are chasing players from either Souths or the Roosters, both of which stacked with players on huge contracts with no apparent cap restrictions.

I have always thought a good measure is to try and attempt to rank a clubs top ten players and then try to put a best guess estimate on the value of the 10th ranked player - at the above clubs that number is around 650k and neither Suluka or May are that close to the top ten.

looking at our squad it would be hard to find more than 10 players over $4-450k

if they are spending the best part of 6.5-7m on 10 players that means the other 20 are basically on minimum!!

We should then be able to easily outbid both clubs on players not in their top 10 however they consistently find a way to retain these guys - making their depth impressive.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Unfortunately we will be caught up in a bidding war especially if we are chasing players from either Souths or the Roosters, both of which stacked with players on huge contracts with no apparent cap restrictions.

I have always thought a good measure is to try and attempt to rank a clubs top ten players and then try to put a best guess estimate on the value of the 10th ranked player - at the above clubs that number is around 650k and neither Suluka or May are that close to the top ten.

looking at our squad it would be hard to find more than 10 players over $4-450k

if they are spending the best part of 6.5-7m on 10 players that means the other 20 are basically on minimum!!

We should then be able to easily outbid both clubs on players not in their top 10 however they consistently find a way to retain these guys - making their depth impressive.
I think thats sort of how the cap works. But I also think the recent players union and new agreements have over inflated prices as well. Especially for elite platers. If they are getting 1.2 to 1.4m then avergae player can get 600 or 700k.

But the Dogs are lucky in that sense because we are starting over and have a good development strategy to produce our own players. It won't be until we have success on the field that there will be upward pressure on increasing pay. If we can lock in as we have done with some backs long tern deals for good young forwards then they come good in a couple of years we get a bargin.

So teams like Souths and the Roosters have peaked and have a lot of big priced players to manage. Any on the fringes will be looking for a better opportunity while I think the top clubs will be reluctant to get into a bidding war over their fringe players. Even if a couple of other clubs get interested hopefully its not going to push the price up too much due to cap restraints. But I think we are in a better position than most clubs with more room to move.

I remember we signed a young Klemmer on something like 300 or 350k on a long term deal and everyone was saying it was crazy. But the following year he's dominating and catching the eye of rep teams so it turned out a bargain. May and Suluka-Fifita could be our new Klemmers from other clubs that we can develop into Bulldogs at a cheap cost rather than trying to get an established player who is set in their ways.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Exactly, the player market isn’t what it used to be . Another qld team has changed the dynamics a little as well as the cap increase. Development is the only way out and that seems like short term & long term.
I think the Dogs are being smart in this sense. We have development connections with some Kiwi clubs, NSW country and in Qld. I think theres areound 4 or 5 young Qld props in our prop development program.

We seem to have done well with our backs getting some great young prospects like Mitchell Woods we just have to do the same with the mids. I think May and Suluka-Fifita are ideal as they are not too young to completely develop, have had top grade experience but are also young enough to develop further.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the Dogs are being smart in this sense. We have development connections with some Kiwi clubs, NSW country and in Qld. I think theres areound 4 or 5 young Qld props in our prop development program.

We seem to have done well with our backs getting some great young prospects like Mitchell Woods we just have to do the same with the mids. I think May and Suluka-Fifita are ideal as they are not too young to completely develop, have had top grade experience but are also young enough to develop further.
I agree, if we can bring players across to do their job and do it well, nurture the young ones coming through which I think in a matter of time it’s going to reflect first grade. It would be awesome to have someone like woods play in a trial match to see where his at. 8 days to go till our trials, can’t wait.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree, if we can bring players across to do their job and do it well, nurture the young ones coming through which I think in a matter of time it’s going to reflect first grade. It would be awesome to have someone like woods play in a trial match to see where his at. 8 days to go till our trials, can’t wait.
Just over 4 weeks until our round 1 game

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just read today that it looks like the Bulldogs have pulled out of the race for Terrell may. Not sure why perhaps something to do with the complications of also having to sign his brothers and that May has a new agent and will probably stay at the Roosters.

But nevertheless thats OK as this is all for next year and I am sure we will find some good props by them. Suluka-Fifita may hopefully be one and I don't mind making a play for him despite being injued as there is little good potential available.

Woods is on a development contract and is due to join the top grade training next season. In the meantime he led our Harold Mathews side to a grand final win and he and Alex Conti another talented half the Bulldogs signed will pair up for the SG Ball side this year. They are both more or less Bulldog juniors and went to school together so they know each others game. Though we did poach Conti from the Tigers junior ranks.

Good future halves pairing if we can keep them. I think they are both signed on a long term deal. I know Woods has a 4 year contract.