Should we Recieve something for Junior players who leave our club

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just thinking with Myles and other players we have devoloped leaving the club for more money and oppurtunity, which is fair enough i guess, That the Bulldogs club should get some sort of financial reward for developing players. Not just the Nrl clubs but bush clubs that develop players that go on to first grade into the NRL. May be something similar to what the AFL has where if a player plays a certain amount of 1st grade games the bush club that he was recruited from gets a financial payment. I'am not sure how it would work best but surely we deserve some type of compensation for devoloping players only to loose them because other clubs can't develop their own juniors and just out bid u s for there services.

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
Put it back to the juniors if anything - not our clubs. Buy producing these players we make money by putting bums on seats. The business for the clubs is to keep producing these juniors. Lets not forget that on the other end of the coin the clubs do let good players go. Thurston springs to mind....

On the flip side you could say that clubs purchasing these players aren't getting the " bang for the buck " that clubs like ourselves do - when you are producing them and they playing for next to nothing - and doing the job that other well established footballers are doing. Helps to hang on to a superstar team that we have.

M

MrCharisma

wyongguy said:
I was just thinking with Myles and other players we have devoloped leaving the club for more money and oppurtunity, which is fair enough i guess, That the Bulldogs club should get some sort of financial reward for developing players. Not just the Nrl clubs but bush clubs that develop players that go on to first grade into the NRL. May be something similar to what the AFL has where if a player plays a certain amount of 1st grade games the bush club that he was recruited from gets a financial payment. I'am not sure how it would work best but surely we deserve some type of compensation for devoloping players only to loose them because other clubs can't develop their own juniors and just out bid u s for there services.
No

Then high profiled clubs like Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos will be paying more for their juniors to lure them away from smaller and struggling clubs.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Don't hold your breathe. Apparently we have to look after the interests of the game and supply players to the leaches of the NRL.

I don't blame the club for breaching the cap in 2002, we are used and abused and are supposed to stand by and accept it.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe if a player has been contracted to a club before they turn 19 & have been with the same club for 4 or more years UP TOO the age of 25.

Any club who wishes to sign them has to pay $50k per season to the club they sign them away from for the term of the contract they sign the player. This gives the team which develops the player some financial payback. It also sees the team buying the player having to come up with extra $50k on top of the offer they are putting to the player. They might give a 1 or 2 year offer to avoid being hit too hard by this, which the player wouldn't rush to sign for lack of security.

To go hand in hand with this I think the NRL should look into the Soccer system. Allowing players to be traded & or loaned out. The club has a 21 year old local junior with big potential, however can't crack a regular start in first grade. The player has say a 5 year deal with the club. A weaker club might want that player to which you can loan them out 1 season at a time. Blooding your junior in 1st grade for you. You can see how they go & get them back the following year or alternate trade them at that stage if they are happy at the other club, and we don't see a big future. Everyone wins.

I could go into much more detail plus heaps of other suggestions but I think you get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.