Should there be an automatic penalty try against teams who deliberately give six agains in the final secs?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We saw it in the dying moments of the Storm v Manly game where Storm players were blatantly offside and laying all over the ruck and not worried about giving 6 agains knowing there's only a minute to go. I just feel that a 10 min sin bin is not sufficient when there's only seconds to go and should have a more severe penalty like a penalty try in union when you collapse a maul next to the try line.

It would be frustrating to see that in the dying moments of a final. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck oath, sin bin the ***** and have a rule that the offender must start and serve the remaining time the following week.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We saw it in the dying moments of the Storm v Manly game where Storm players were blatantly offside and laying all over the ruck and not worried about giving 6 agains knowing there's only a minute to go. I just feel that a 10 min sin bin is not sufficient when there's only seconds to go and should have a more severe penalty like a penalty try in union when you collapse a maul next to the try line.

I don't want to give referees more areas to directly have a massive impact on the outcome of a game. Once the rules were set in stone and not highly open to referees interpretation. Now it's just numerous grey areas that can be interpreted differently by the same ref for identical infringements in one game.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Giving the referees more discretion will always backfire against bottom eight teams. You can be sure the refs would use it against us; and we'd lose every close game.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

That shits me to tears, something needs to be done

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No, but the team in possession should be able to nominate to take the shot at goal.
Same as when coming out from your own end, defending teams give away a restart to set their defensive line, attacking team should be able to nominate to take the kick for touch.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that any tweaking of the rules can help and it will only give the refs more power of interpretation. The rules need to be wound back, reviewed and modified in step with the modern era, not just added to ad hock to suit the agenda of the NRL administration.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The 6 again rule is the biggest blunder of the great game of nrl, and the reffs use it to keep another team in game of scores are hanging, they have to much discretion, get rid of it.!!!

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Like many things with refs I don’t get that if a team offends 3 times inside the 10 (or if it’s us then once is more than enough and anywhere on the field) then they send the next offender to the bin. But the ref then restarts the count, no no no no no, they have had 3 + 1 = 4 chances to stop offending. The next one should be in the bin too.

FMD Melbourne just keep on infringing, like having 1 player in the bin means a free pass for the next guy and the next guy add infinitum.

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The 6 again rule is the biggest blunder of the great game of nrl, and the reffs use it to keep another team in game of scores are hanging, they have to much discretion, get rid of it.!!!
I also think it was brought in to stop "The Cameron Smith type Captain" from debating decisions and thus slowing the game down to their team's pace.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could use the charge as unsportsman like conduct/not in spirit of the game. Imagine getting suspended for a week for being an asshole in the last minute.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They should give penaltys instead of set restarts for teams purposely slowing down ruck or offside on first or second tackles rather then a set restart and if that happens 3 or more times on tackle one then automatic sin bin. It's a joke the way it is now

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Could you imagine the amount of corruption from this? The 6 again rule juts needs to be scrapped