Should the Bulldogs put Ben barba into first grade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rani

True Blue
Reaction score
from last years form i would say he isn't ready but the only way he will be able to come up to 1st grade standards is to play in first grade and get experience
Absolutely. I think that can be best achieved if he comes off the bench as an impact player and keeps working hard at his defense and ballwork.

the_yuk

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why not Josh Morris to fullback if Patterns out? Personally id go for Roberts hes like Anasta and Barrettt devestating when he runs but hopless when he trys the fancy stuff.

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Comparing Roberts to Barrett and Anasta, you are kidding right?
Barba needs to have a season in NSW cup for mine or even another season in toyota cup. Last year he scored alot of tries but his defence wasn't even up to Toyota Cup standard, we'd need to keep a medivac on hand if he plays 1st grade regularly in 2009

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i dont think he is ready yet? im sure a cameo appearance off the bench would be alright but i think the club are trying to make him into a FB rather then playing in the halves...

But lets see how he goes in the NSW Cup for bankstown

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
off the bench atleast for the first few rounds (say 1 month) then see where we are at concerning barba

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
No, he is far from ready. As we have witnessed.

bugden

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the general
el magic
morris
the mantis
utai
roberts
noddy
stagg
bobcat
te maari
hodgo
menace
hannant

sully
luva
kite
nick the greek

cwnj

Waterboy
Reaction score
Errrrrrrr, Not unless you want to wreck his career!

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the general
el magic
morris
the mantis
utai
roberts
noddy
stagg
bobcat
te maari
hodgo
menace
hannant

sully
luva
kite
nick the greek
What the heck are you doing? this isn't an 09 team thread.

Should Barba be put in FG? depends. The coaching staff will be monitoring his ball playing skills and defence. If they believe he has improved enough, I say give him a spot on the bench because he'll come in great value if a wing/fullback gets injured, and if a hooker gets injured push whoever the 5-8 is up there and give Barba roaming space behind the ruck.

If he proves himself, Then we'll see.

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if he is gonna be so great throw him in there... sandow could do it and he is tiny, no one had wraps on sandow, so step up barba

A

Al.Bundy

if he is gonna be so great throw him in there... sandow could do it and he is tiny, no one had wraps on sandow, so step up barba
Actually, everyone was saying he was more of a complete player than barba and has been long hailed the Aboriginal Alfie Langer

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Barba is still rubbish until he can fix his defence

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Benny Barba is a work in progress. We can all see that he has some extraordinary talents. His ability to follow the ball and back up are Terry Lamb like. He will have enjoyed his experience in First Grade in '08 and will be hungry for more.
He (to me) is very similar to Thurston when he arrived at the club. A little small and skinny, but Thurston is now arguably the worlds best player. Barba has that same aura about him. The danger is that rushing him into First Grade may hinder, not help his career. Kimmorley will be a very good influence and teacher of Ben.....
We will see him play first grade and cheer him on and tell all the other teams supporters, "We have Ben Barba".

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Barba wont start FG anyway, until we get injuries, who do you chuck out to fit him in?

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barba wont start FG anyway, until we get injuries, who do you chuck out to fit him in?
I would throw out Sullivan because Ennis is an 80 minute player. If Ennis got injured during a game, you could just push whoever is 5/8 up there which allows Barba to roam around and pick his times.

Plus Barba on the bench could cover if a wing/fullback got injured. Sullivan doesn't offer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.