Should religion be outlawed?

Should religion and Osman be outlawed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
And now we come inevitably to the crux of the argument- does religion do more harm than good? Is one person's self satisfaction more important than the lives of those killed in the name of their religion?

Please keep the trolling out of this thread- in the name of a bearable off season, let's have a thread where opposing viewpoints may be aired without vitriolic replies which will serve only to have a potentially informative thread deleted.

Discuss with wtf, Bain almost made sense for a second there andwotnotandwothaveyou

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think religion is the problem, I'm certain it's the fanatics who misinterpret and use religion as a justification to do wrong towards others.

Religion made me do it, rock/rap music made me do it, the media made me do it etc.. People need excuses because they are too cowardly to accept responsibility for their own indiscretions, thus giving other people a negative view on these certain things, rather than looking past the excuse and blaming the person directly for their individual actions.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Religion, as God intends it to be is perfect... If followed properly, it should lead to a harmonious society built on tolerance and fairness...

The people's interpretation of religion is flowed. Sheiks, pastors, priests, etc interpret religion based on personal or political agenda more often than not, the they feed this wrong interpreted idea to their followers thus you have the problem..

Blind faith is wrong, in Islam God challenges us to learn and seek knowledge so when you become believers we am built our religious life on strong and correct foundations...

Unfortunately, vast majority of us don't do that.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
in some Islamic conturies its a capital offence to be atheist

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My viewpoint is that religion fills a void in someones life and gives them something to believe in.

Anglican, Catholic, and (although I'm not really up on it) Islamic religions all teach core components in self belief, and bettering ones life.

Anglican/Catholic in many ways reads like a DO's and DON'TS list.

I'm not sure what you'd class me as. I was brought up Anglican Christian, but gave up on church because of lack of time. It's also hard to consider a religion as trustworthy when every second month another catholic/anglican priest gets done for kiddy fiddling. Not to mention why any god would let harm come upon "his people".

Believing in god has got me nowhere so far in life, it hasn't made it better, nor worse, it's made no difference to me, so why should I waste my time on it.

On the flipside I tend to agree much with the above. It's not so much the religion that causes tension (although certainly in some areasof the world simply your choice of religion can get you killed), but rather peoples intepretation of said religion, or the belief that person has in their religion, that no other religion should exist but their own.

Historically looking back though, religion has been a major component of many a war.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
religions cause wars when it's supposed to promote peace. What a strange civilisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.