• yes

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • no

Votes: 16 59.3%

• Total voters

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TBH - the way that rules were interpreted and dealt with in the 80's are a far cry as to how they are punished now.

Eye gouging, tripping, headbutting - these 3 comes to mind immediately. If any of these acts were carried out on the field - it was effectively an immediate send off.

Now I think back to the Jarryd Hayne headbutt - all that got was a sin bin. Reynolds was also binned for a trip, but I do recall we have had several tripping instances in the last 24 months, all of which had a fine, and possibly a penalty if spotted. Eye gouging - well, I think we can all agree that Gurgess was lucky to stay on the field for his Farah facial.

As for Maloneys trip - I think as a whole we are desensitized to these sorts of acts to the point where we feel it is penalty sufficient. But it is a grubby act.

Malla

Reaction score
TBH - the way that rules were interpreted and dealt with in the 80's are a far cry as to how they are punished now.

Eye gouging, tripping, headbutting - these 3 comes to mind immediately. If any of these acts were carried out on the field - it was effectively an immediate send off.

Now I think back to the Jarryd Hayne headbutt - all that got was a sin bin. Reynolds was also binned for a trip, but I do recall we have had several tripping instances in the last 24 months, all of which had a fine, and possibly a penalty if spotted. Eye gouging - well, I think we can all agree that Gurgess was lucky to stay on the field for his Farah facial.

As for Maloneys trip - I think as a whole we are desensitized to these sorts of acts to the point where we feel it is penalty sufficient. But it is a grubby act.
Mcguire was fined for a eye gouge as well. Very inconsistent.

What really annoys me is the refs have to rely on a player making a complaint about an eye gouge or a bite. We have a bunker with a thousand cameras that can spot it a mile away.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first half performance from the refs was an abomination.
They did EVERYTHING in their power to slow down our momentum and get Penrith back in to the game.
Cummins and Belinda Blunte and shite.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mcguire was fined for a eye gouge as well. Very inconsistent.

What really annoys me is the refs have to rely on a player making a complaint about an eye gouge or a bite. We have a bunker with a thousand cameras that can spot it a mile away.
The proverbial slope unfortunately. You check one thing, why not check the 1000 other things?

But I agree with you. I am firmly of the belief if a ref has got a decision incorrect (ie awarded a scrum to team A but should have been team B) - the bunker can check and make a decision and provide it to the ref before the scrum has even been set. No time lost.

What I also like about the above idea, it would fix the approach of scrums that teams have these days. You would of never seen a fullback lock in at scrum 20-30 years ago.

Malla

Reaction score
The proverbial slope unfortunately. You check one thing, why not check the 1000 other things?

But I agree with you. I am firmly of the belief if a ref has got a decision incorrect (ie awarded a scrum to team A but should have been team B) - the bunker can check and make a decision and provide it to the ref before the scrum has even been set. No time lost.

What I also like about the above idea, it would fix the approach of scrums that teams have these days. You would of never seen a fullback lock in at scrum 20-30 years ago.
Honestly... if the right call is being made at the end of the day, who are we to argue? I can already hear Gus in the commentary complaining about all this checking ruining the fabric of the game but he can get fucked. The right call should be made all the time, doesn't matter how we get there.

Happened against Panthers on Saturday. We got called a knock on but a Bulldogs hand was no where near the ball, it was replayed about 5 times and the call wasn't changed. Shit like that can turn a game on its head.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maloney cops a one week suspension for his trip. Bad enough to be suspended, not bad enough for a sin bin. NRLol

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I voted yes , a trip is a trip. Not worth anything more than 10min. But in this Nrl he gets a week..S Burgess with a record as fat as his head gets off for a swinging arm . Who knows amymore

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was notthe worst offence I have seen, (however I have seen players sin binned for less, such as Tolman in the same match) nor did it cause any damage to Smith, or change momentum to the game. However, in my opinion he reached out with his leg to slow momentum when there was a chance of us making a break in broken play. This signals deliberate intent, and therefore, in my opinion, deserves a sin bin. But it wasn't even picked up until several plays afterwards.
What do you think?
U mean JMK he got not Smith

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was notthe worst offence I have seen, (however I have seen players sin binned for less, such as Tolman in the same match) nor did it cause any damage to Smith, or change momentum to the game. However, in my opinion he reached out with his leg to slow momentum when there was a chance of us making a break in broken play. This signals deliberate intent, and therefore, in my opinion, deserves a sin bin. But it wasn't even picked up until several plays afterwards.
What do you think?
Tbh it depends. If others get sin binned for it then yes

All us fans want is Consistency

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maloney cops a one week suspension for his trip. Bad enough to be suspended, not bad enough for a sin bin. NRLol
Only got a suspension because it was his third offence that would othwerwise have been a fine.