Should I consider going back to uni (DON'T EVER BE A NURSE KIDS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok ok, before anyone says 'but that's what you do for a job', i am well aware of what i do.
here's a little insight into what i do in 12 hours a day...

- get told i'm a ****, ****head, ********, moron, etc. this i can deal with.
- restrain aggressive and violent patients across 4 floors of the centre (that equates to 120 patients all up)
- listen to horrific stories
- liase with DOCS
- watch and patch up self harmers
- the occasional cavity search (oh yeah, i've found scalpels before)
- sit in an office hiding under an everest sized pile of paperwork, and find ways to get out of it. eventually i won't be able to open the door
- attend court
- occasionally even watch people die and attend their autopsies
- get punched, kicked, spat on, bitten, and have even had knives held at my throat
- train and present on aggressive behaviour management and physical restraint
- kiss the director's ass pretty much daily

i've been found sleeping under my desk some mornings as i will work through till 5am. wtf.

and i'm officially only a nurse. what the hell. i swear i do like 45 people's jobs.
also, how the **** do i not go insane like this lol?

so, question is, who the hell would stick it out in the role i'm in? i'm thinking about doing my masters, and quite possibly my Ph.D, but ffs i had a thought that i'll STILL only be a nurse.

quick, someone pick a uni course for me to do and i'll probably do it lol

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I do not envy you. But much respect.

This is why nurses need to get paid more.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not envy you. But much respect.

This is why nurses need to get paid more.
nobody i know would want my job. most have said that even at a million bucks an hour, it's not worth the stress.

i won't deny that i don't sleep much because of what i do, and i HATE the fact my job impacts on every facet of my life. i don't even tell people what i do anymore when i first meet them.

Reaction score
leesee...my cousin is a nurse..she has just recently completed her PHD...she wouldn't trade it for anything eventhough she gets treated like crap..etc,etc...

the fact that she can save lives makes her job worthwhile..plus it helps that she earns six figures....

but if you've lost the passion for nursing then go and study something else i say...just not accounting..lol

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
leesee...my cousin is a nurse..she has just recently completed her PHD...she wouldn't trade it for anything eventhough she gets treated like crap..etc,etc...

the fact that she can save lives makes her job worthwhile..plus it helps that she earns six figures....

but if you've lost the passion for nursing then go and study something else i say...just not accounting..lol
oh i haven't lost the passion for nursing just yet...i get a serious kick out of watching people get better. unfortunately in mental health, it's a revolving door, and the system fails everyone.

my only saving grace is the unbelievably stupid **** i hear because it makes me laugh lol

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe move to a different area of nursing?
i've done palliative care (got sick of everyone dying), oncology, surgical, orthopaedics, paediatrics, emergency and mental health.

mental health is at least amazingly interesting. it also makes me question why the government doesn't sterilise people lol

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
i've done palliative care (got sick of everyone dying), oncology, surgical, orthopaedics, paediatrics, emergency and mental health.

mental health is at least amazingly interesting. it also makes me question why the government doesn't sterilise people lol
What about being a community nurse?

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what university would you want to go
i'll pick you a course 'cos i'm bored

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about being a community nurse?
lol i laughed too hard when i did that. mind you, i was only in mental health.

me - so, what do you do with your time?
patient - i peel eggs
me - is that it?
patient - well, i like to peel the eggs with rubber gloves on
me - oh, i see (trying not to explode with laughter)

me - so, what do you see yourself doing in your future?
patient - well, i like to peel carrots.

i had to walk out. i then laughed so hard i spewed lol

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh i thought somewhere in brisbane
and... have you ever been to unsw before??? like not as a student, just been anywhere near the grounds?? because i think that might make you change your mind lol.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh i thought somewhere in brisbane
and... have you ever been to unsw before??? like not as a student, just been anywhere near the grounds?? because i think that might make you change your mind lol.
lol i have no idea, it sounded good.

the only courses i'd do in brisbane is a masters in nurse practioner (means i do everything a doctor does, just not cut people), or i'd do a double in law/psychology so i could be a forensic psychologist.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
law/psych sounds awesome you should do that tbh!! i think krissy is doing that.

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ideally, mental health is something i think i will always be involved with. i've worked with forensic patients before, and they fascinate me.

my aim? to snag a chat with ivan milat. that's what i aim for.

i'll be going through the high security facility up here though towards the end of the month, and i get to do their new admission. i'm so excited. the file is pretty gruesome, but i want to actually sit and talk with the guy.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
lol i laughed too hard when i did that. mind you, i was only in mental health.

me - so, what do you do with your time?
patient - i peel eggs
me - is that it?
patient - well, i like to peel the eggs with rubber gloves on
me - oh, i see (trying not to explode with laughter)

me - so, what do you see yourself doing in your future?
patient - well, i like to peel carrots.

i had to walk out. i then laughed so hard i spewed lol
Hahaha i would of laughed so hard when they said that

Status
Not open for further replies.