News Should Canterbury persist with Kyle Flanagan? NRL legends urge Bulldogs to 'bite the bullet' after Round 4

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s easy for teams now to make sure Burto is well marked. Like CS said he’s best work is his running and kicking but there is no other threat. You go into other teams pregame home work during the week and I bet they are talking about pressuring Burto and taking away his space. Nobody is talking about Kyle because he is not a threat.
Yeah I agree, Don’t get me wrong, I think the only reason his form is down is because our halfback isn’t a halfback.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The old mental health card you reckon bro? Very common these days. And that’s no disrespect to anyone struggling it’s just what happens when someone fails these days. Too easy to blame someone else.
I have long term mental issues that arose from my health and I don't use them or my physical issues as an excuse for anything.

IMO, with my experience with coaching/training/managing JRL and even in my playing days, flamingo is just the poster boy for a typical coaches son.

Usually the worst player in the team but the most arrogant, either playing in FR or DH, being falsely pumped up by his dad and his mates as the next JT. They think they are helping but only setting them up for a massive fall, just like flamingo.

Flamingo is ruined, he has believed all the fake hype around him for years. He just isn't a FGer.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, Don’t get me wrong, I think the only reason his form is down is because our halfback isn’t a halfback.
Yeah. I think he still has to own his role but it’s easy for a runner to get shut down when there are less threats thrown at them. Compare the 2 of their highlights reels and it’s easy to see logic behind the Flanno criticism.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
You have to laugh at the media's narratives. Last year it was poor Kyle, how could the Bulldogs treat him this way, they've killed his development etc..

Now the same journos are saying he offers nothing, they should drop him and not even consider re-signing him..

I'm sure once he's dropped, the sob stories for Flanagan will start up again..
Spot on. And when the roosters cut him loose like a feral dog they were rejoiced as a strong club who don’t accept mediocrity. Some absolute peanuts in the media like Paul kent

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't buy this "Burton isn't playing well because of Flanagan" bullshit, almost exclusively they play on opposite sides of the field, Burton on the LHS Flanagan in the RHS. We could count on the fingers of one hand how many times Flanagan has passed to Burton in the 4 games so far this season. What Flanagan does or doesn't do on the RHS has next to zero effect on what Burton does or doesn't do on the LHS.

I would also point out to the dipstick media that our RHS (Kiraz, Averillo & Preston), where Flanagan plays, has scored more tries that the LHS (JAC, Alamoti & Kikau) where Burton plays (yes I know Burton that has scored a try himself). So Flanagan's service can't be all that bad.

If I asked ANYONE which 3 would score more tries Kiraz, Averillo & Preston OR JAC, Alamoti & Kikau who would have said the 3 on the RHS? No one.

Always a Bulldog

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good players don't have to rely on other players, put simply they perform. Terry Lamb didn't always have Turvey inside him & carried the team on his back when he came back after he retired to help the club through a tough time.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah. I think he still has to own his role but it’s easy for a runner to get shut down when there are less threats thrown at them. Compare the 2 of their highlights reels and it’s easy to see logic behind the Flanno criticism.
100%

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I have long term mental issues that arose from my health and I don't use them or my physical issues as an excuse for anything.

IMO, with my experience with coaching/training/managing JRL and even in my playing days, flamingo is just the poster boy for a typical coaches son.

Usually the worst player in the team but the most arrogant, either playing in FR or DH, being falsely pumped up by his dad and his mates as the next JT. They think they are helping but only setting them up for a massive fall, just like flamingo.

Flamingo is ruined, he has believed all the fake hype around him for years. He just isn't a FGer.
Exactly bro you are a soldier and March on ! The young kids these days just aren’t built for it. As soon as they receive criticism it’s someone else fault rather than look in the mirror.

I honestly wanted Flanno to do well this year I wish the best for all our players as fans we want to see wins but I have come to the same realisation as yourself… he’s not a genuine first grader and we’ll see after this year who signs him. He’ll be depth or sign with a bottom 2 team.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't buy this "Burton isn't playing well because of Flanagan" bullshit, almost exclusively they play on opposite sides of the field, Burton on the LHS Flanagan in the RHS. We could count on the fingers of one hand how many times Flanagan has passed to Burton in the 4 games so far this season. What Flanagan does or doesn't do on the RHS has next to zero effect on what Burton does or doesn't do on the LHS.

I would also point out to the dipstick media that our RHS (Kiraz, Averillo & Preston), where Flanagan plays, has scored more tries that the LHS (JAC, Alamoti & Kikau) where Burton plays (yes I know Burton that has scored a try himself). So Flanagan's service can't be all that bad.

If I asked ANYONE which 3 would score more tries Kiraz, Averillo & Preston OR JAC, Alamoti & Kikau who would have said the 3 on the RHS? No one.

Always a Bulldog
you don't "buy" it because you have NFI what a halfbacks roll in the team is. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your boss received stats on you similar to these relevant to your industry what would your boss say to you?

Do you even come to work mine would say.

Kyle Flanagan 2023 stats

Games4Tries0Try Assists0Linebreak Assists1Offloads3Average Run Metres35mAverage Kick Metres76mForced Dropouts1Average Tackles24

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Exactly bro you are a soldier and March on ! The young kids these days just aren’t built for it. As soon as they receive criticism it’s someone else fault rather than look in the mirror.

I honestly wanted Flanno to do well this year I wish the best for all our players as fans we want to see wins but I have come to the same realisation as yourself… he’s not a genuine first grader and we’ll see after this year who signs him. He’ll be depth or sign with a bottom 2 team.
Sure we take the piss out of Flamingo and rightly so but im sure we want him to succeed for the sake of our team.

But it hasn't happened yet and will never happen. Cut our losses and punt him to reserves where that's all he is, a reserve at best.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Some of the tries on the RHS had little to NOTHING to do with Flanno. Nice try bro but Jake has been the major player there.

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score

100%

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robinson was a 3 time premiership coach. His father won one. He now is under the guidance of one of leagues sharpest brains in Gould and coached by perhaps the biggest young prospect in coaching in Ciraldo.
He's been blessed to have to have had rugby league education via his family all his life. Kyle is 25 and in all honesty occupies a position that screams ownership in game management of a football team. He avoids decision making in sets most times. Probably shits himself when thrown the ball on the last and looks to offload it to someone else to own the icing on a set completion. A competent halfback should be screaming to get the ball in his hands. His ball distribution is always premeditated,rehearsed and never eyes up on given game situations. So many coaches later, attacking structures have been modified to suit his inabilities as a major spine player. The commentators are right and finally are telling it as it always was. He appears to finally have lost his leverage he might have had through them via his dad's influential status in the game.
There shouldn't be any fear now to drop this dud after having more than enough chances.
Sorry I just had a vent moment.

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good players don't have to rely on other players, put simply they perform. Terry Lamb didn't always have Turvey inside him & carried the team on his back when he came back after he retired to help the club through a tough time.
yep and he did that with a careers worth of experience.