Sherwin Going No Where

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingi

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
by Matthew O'Neill (Senior Editor)

There's been all sorts of classical rumours floating around about Brent Sherwin and now is the time to set the record straight.

Sherwin started the season inconsistently and was disappointing last year except for a small handful of matches. Sherwin proved in 2004 that he could dominate big matches and in three successive weeks finished on top of Matt Orford, Craig Gower and Brett Finch as the Bulldogs won the Premiership.

Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes believed after Round 3 that Sherwin needed a few weeks in Premier League to sort out his confidence and work on the basics that made Sherwin an impressive halfback and an important part of the Bulldogs setup. Sherwin had a solid Round 2 match against the Wests Tigers but his performances against Penrith and Newcastle were disappointing and it appeared the game plans in both weren't properly carried out.

Unfortunately for Sherwin he broke his hand in Round 5 and since than all sorts of rumours from all angles have been murmoured around. Sherwin is in fact injured and he wants to stay at the club contray to what all the reports are saying. Sherwin is in no way faking his injury as some moronics have been suggesting and he wants to be a part of the Bulldogs where he is a local junior and has progressed to being a premiership-winning halfback for the club.

Sherwin has two years remaining on his contract following this year and has made it clear that he wants to regain his first grade position. It's easy to break contracts these days but with the salary cap rules in place, the Bulldogs *if* they wanted to release Sherwin would have to find a club that would pay the full amount or it would be loaded against the the Bulldogs salary cap.

The absence of Sherwin will be felt this weekend with Hazem El Masri unlikely to be available due to a hamstring injury. Sherwin is a fine goal kicker and would be a first string kicker at virtually any other club except for the Bulldogs due to the presence of El Masri. The Bulldogs will have to find a goal kicker in the absence of both El Masri and Sherwin.

Another challenge for Sherwin will be the form displayed by rookie halves Ben Roberts and Daniel Holdsworth on the weekend. Holdsworth is slowly settling into the club and Roberts in two games has showed that he's got potential to be a good first grader. Sherwin played his best football when challenged and that's only going to be good signs for the Bulldogs when he returns.

Bulldogs fans who are supporters of Sherwin can rest easy. There is going to be no mid-season release and he'll be hungry for success when he is given the all clear from Dr Hugh Hazzard to make his return, which is expected to be either Round 11 or Round 12.

Miss Bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
thank god for that! i didnt believe the rumours anyway!

H

Hazmak

Sherwin Going No Where...
he ain't, going no where...
he can't be stopped now...

etc etc etc

qld_bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said except the goalkicking, from what I have seen he is an average kicker at best.

D

DoggyStylz

where does Matthew O'Neill (Senior Editor) work? or work for?

Man Hater

B good or B good at it
Reaction score
GO Shifty i love him and i am still sending him that clipping that habib prepared

H

Haztrick

qld_bulldog said:
I agree with most of what you said except the goalkicking, from what I have seen he is an average kicker at best.
lmfao.. Sorry, but that's a laughable comment.

Bulldogs50

Justin..
Reaction score
u goose lol.. sherwin is an outstanding goal kicker and has kicked throughout his younger days and regularly practices with hazem

dvsbastard

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a great article (and provides some very good news for us all), but the only thing that annoys me is Matt hasn't actually sourced his information (no interview with Shifty, Folkes or anyone within the club)... It almost feels like an opinion piece rather than solid fact!

So Matt I will just have to take your word for it! :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.