Sherwin, Anasta in Bulldog kick-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fatal1

Sherwin, Anasta in Bulldog kick-off
By MArgie McDonald
July 28, 2005

THE accuracy of Hazem El Masri's boot might be sorely missed for the next six weeks, but his goalkicking will not be completely lost to the Bulldogs.

Coach Steve Folkes said he had spoken with former Bulldog and NRL record-breaking goalkicker Daryl Halligan about the situation.

"Probably Hazem is as good a bloke as any to do some coaching. I think it's more about confidence and routine," Folkes said.

"I've spoken to Daryl Halligan about it and it's putting in the practice and having a routine."

El Masri tore knee ligaments in his right knee in a collision with Casey McGuire in last Friday's win over the Broncos, which put the Bulldogs into the top eight.

But staying there has been made harder with the confirmation yesterday that El Masri will need surgery and could miss up to eight weeks.

In a worst-case scenario, the winger-goalkicker would not be available until the NRL preliminary final - if the premiers make it that far.

At best he could be back for the first weekend of finals on September 9-11 - again if the premiers stay in the eight.

El Masri has averaged 10 points a game this season and has not missed a match since 1999, playing 174 consecutive games for the Bulldogs.

Advertisement:
He was just 20 games short of Jason Taylor's league record of 194. He has also kicked 536 of the Bulldogs' 538 goals since 2001.

The two other kickers, Braith Anasta (one goal in 2001) and Sherwin (one in 2002) held a kick-off at training yesterday.

"They've both got 100 per cent (NRL) records, that'll do me," Folkes said. "They'll probably decide it, whoever is happier doing the job."

The third entrant in the kick-off, Kiwi international Jamaal Lolesi, withdrew when he skewed several in front of the posts.

"That was embarrassing," Lolesi said.

El Masri was missed from the outset as nobody could find a proper kicking tee.

"They're all probably in Hazem's bag," Folkes yelled to Lolesi.

Assistant coach Kevin Moore made Sherwin and Anasta have 25 shots at goal: five each from in front of the posts, five metres to the right and left and five metres in from touch.

Anasta's score was 20-25 and Sherwin's 21-25.

"We kicked the ball surprisingly well out there and we haven't kicked for a long time because we've always had Haz," said Sherwin, who was the chief goalkicker in Canterbury's premier league and under-19 sides.

When Halligan retired in 2000, Sherwin said he and El Masri went through a few shoot-outs to determine who would be chief kicker.

He said he and Anasta would again have a kick-off before deciding who took the duties in Sunday's match against the Rabbitohs at Aussie Stadium. However, he was not adverse to sharing.

"Braith likes the left and I like the right, so we might just do it that way. If that works, it works," Sherwin said.

"If one of us is a bit tired on the weekend, the other one can have a go. We'll work it out."

El Masri's injury also has ramifications at fullback, with Lolesi favoured to become the Bulldogs' fourth custodian in as many weeks.

Regular Luke Patten hurt his right ankle (four weeks out), Trent Cutler damaged his leg (five weeks) and El Masri his knee.

"It is just unlucky for the three blokes who are injured. Hopefully someone will get back on the field so I don't have to play there too long," Lolesi said.

The good news, as far as Lolesi is concerned, is that he does not have to wear the unlucky No.1 jersey on Sunday because it was already given to El Masri.

20 and 21 out of 25 - ill be happy if they kicked like that in games

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fatal1 said:
The good news, as far as Lolesi is concerned, is that he does not have to wear the unlucky No.1 jersey on Sunday because it was already given to El Masri.
TANK was right about the cursed number 1 jersey not being used!!!

Sherwin and Anasta should do the job just fine.....it seems like they have it covered. Good luck boys

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I am feeling much more calm about Hazem being out after seeing 20/25 and 21/25

-alex-

fiesty midget
Reaction score
i was secretly hoping Lolesi wouldnt kick, i was less than impressed watching him kick for NZ lol. I just hope Anasta and Sherwin can keep the accuracy up come game time. 20/25 is a damn good effort for a first choice goalkicker, and considering nobody has kicked a goal for us for the past few years besides Hazem 20/25 for someone whos not a goalkicker is even better.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope they can kick like that during the game. I hope they do a lot of practise this week from near the touch lines. We would miss Haz the most on those kicks.
But I also want us to smash Souths so badly that the kicking doesn't matter. I'd be embarrassed if we got another score like our last game against them. :(

Bellz

Bellz
Reaction score
That's pretty good considering they haven't had to goalkick 4 a few years. Braith or Shifty taking over, I don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.