News Shaye Faa’aoga

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can bring in 1 thousand talented kids...
But if you dont pick the best 17 to play every week and pick them in the right spot and have them playing top notch and effective footy, it's all to no avail.
Yes you'll make finals but you ultimately need to win the premiership otherwise no one cares.

Not discounting what Gus is doing....it has the potential to yield "continued success" as Ivan Cleary put it. But you need to have success before you can have continued success and that all comes from the coach and coaching structures rather than a talent nursery
Why can't you have both? It's not like he's neglecting the next few seasons. Kikau and Mahoney are huge signings that will make us much more competitive. Hopefully Ciraldo makes an impact as a coach. He was the most sought after coaching prospect across the league in the last few years for good reason.. Gus is addressing the present while also building for the future.

As I said, three to five years from now, some of these prospects could become stars that we have on affordable deals as opposed to having to overpay to get established young talent from other clubs once they hit FG.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
5 years from now with all of the scouting and gun youngsters being signed from all over the place, we're all going to be blowing Gus for the foundations he laid.
Personally I think I'll just send him a complimentary email :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why can't you have both? It's not like he's neglecting the next few seasons. Kikau and Mahoney are huge signings that will make us much more competitive. Hopefully Ciraldo makes an impact as a coach. He was the most sought after coaching prospect across the league in the last few years for good reason.. Gus is addressing the present while also building for the future.

As I said, three to five years from now, some of these prospects could become stars that we have on affordable deals as opposed to having to overpay to get established young talent from other clubs once they hit FG.
This is the sort of thing we had in the early 2000s especially with regards to the forwards. I remember even when we had talent pilfered from our ranks we were always able to adequately replace them from the juniors or get a cheap signing and train them to the level we needed them to be, we very rarely had to make big signings and that comes down to the foundations that we had as a club from junior pathways to the way we were coached.

Gus is bringing this back and after what happened in the last decade after Hasler first took over its a welcome return. People seem to forget that the Panthers a decade ago when Gus first went in were a shambles of a club and now look where they are