Opinion Shaun Wane for coach?

Would you be hapy with Shaun Wane as coach?

• yes

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • no

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • don't know

Votes: 18 33.3%

• Total voters

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We aren't into the "rebuilding" stage, that requires Salary Cap space which we don't have until 2021.
Are you saying to be rebuilding we need to buy all 30 players? I would've thought 3-6 new players at best, which means the other 24-27 need to be existing players. It is those 24-27 players improvement over the last 2-3yrs should be obvious by now. I can think of a few offhand, but many have either gone backwards, stayed the same, or haven't been given an opportunity to improve.

Quality player recruitment is based on budget (Cap space) which we don't have (until next year).
So only having limited funds forces us to buy also-rans? In that case, surely better to promote from within?

Your opinion, which you are fully entitled to, but ask 10/20/30 on here and you will get 10/20/30 differing opinions on selections with everyone claiming that they alone have the right selection.

Go Dogs
Yeah, that's humanity. Never said otherwise. But I haven't seen ANYONE say they think Pay's selections are 100% perfect. Far from it.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to see you've joined the team Baz ...tough one but had to be done ;)
I haven't joined or left any team Wend. I bop to my own tune regardless of whats popular and although I am saying we need to bring in outside help, I also suggest it can be with Pay still involved. The faction shit on here is a joke to be honest when you consider we are all supposedly supporting the same club.

My biggest concern is the fact we are less than 5 months away from 2021 pre-season training and yet the song is still that all will be ok in 2021.

I call "bullshit".

Now I read Twin Turbo is talking about things not happening till 2021 because thats when our cap is better, so is he inferring that we can start buying in 2021 for 2022 or do we have the cap available for season 2021 which is what everyone else believes?

If we have cap for 2021 then we should be well and truly down the road in negotiation with players and managers already. This crap about players not being announced till later in the year blah blah doesn't seem to effect other clubs with deals being done everywhere.

The silence is getting louder.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of players moving to other clubs next season?
Cheers

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So looking at who is off contract at the end of this year, where are our "Gun" spine players coming from unless we are somehow getting contracts broken? Are we targeting big name spine players?
This is the biggest reason why I"m not confident that the club will get the players they need. They simply aren't available.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just read an article on fox sports about the english players at the raiders, and Shaun Wane's opinion of them and how they are doing.
Wane basically says that he knows just how good they are, and in fact, he thinks they are capable of a lot more.
The article ends with a quote from him basically stating that not matter how well his players play, he always wants and expects more from them.

"Without being awkward I'm not ever really happy with anybody and i want the players to be the same.
"I don't want them walking of the paddock patting themselves on the back, I want them to walk off no matter how they've played looking at improving.
"I'll never walk around patting players on the back - I'll encourage them, say well done, but ask what's next and how do we need to improve. That's the attitude I want from English players." (He is also England's coach).

This is the type of coach we need to get ourselves back to the top again. I'm not a Pay hater, and i still wish him all the best for this year and his coaching career, but I'm struggling to understand some of his methods, and I'm not seeing a great improvement from the squad, regardless of the shit hand he was dealt etc.
What do you all think??
Listened to the Matty Johns podcast today and right at the end of it he mentioned that last season after one of our losses dean pay addressed the whole side after the match saying that the effort wasn’t good enough and some players where taking the piss he told them “if you aren’t prepared to put in the effort then don’t even bother turning up to training tomorrow “ the next day at training Lachlan Lewis never turned up so pay called him and asked him why he wasn’t there lewis replied with “you told us not to turn up” for a coach to tolerate this type of disrespect from a player just underlines the fact dean isn’t up to the job the players might like pay and think he’s a great bloke but do they respect him? I don’t think so.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fifita, Cotric, Connor Watson, James Tamou, Jack DeBelin, Jake Friend, Benji Marshall. Who am I missing apart from potential contract breakers like Bateman or "prospects/up and comers"

Dont get me wrong, if we sign Fifita, Cotric and maybe even Jake Friend to a short contract with Thompson already here we are well on our way, but...

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My biggest issue with Griffin is the length of time he’s been out of the game. It’s been a couple of years now and things change so quickly. He well might have kept up with the latest trends in the game but if he hasn’t we are already behind the eight ball.
I agree with you mate but at least griffin would play blokes in the right positions and rotate the bench in a fashion that makes some kind of sense so he’s already a couple of steps ahead of dean

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think its disturbing we need to get players from the UK like some of you guys are implying.

Might as well not let out kids play juniour footy because juniour players will then be a rarity to get a nrl contract.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So looking at who is off contract at the end of this year, where are our "Gun" spine players coming from unless we are somehow getting contracts broken? Are we targeting big name spine players?
You're right Baz...it's bs.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is the biggest reason why I"m not confident that the club will get the players they need. They simply aren't available.
Could be some Broncs players. They have 9 and Seibs contracted to Moses and can (apparently) renegotiate their contracts...do not poke Kaz. Warning: do not poke Kaz ;).

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Listened to the Matty Johns podcast today and right at the end of it he mentioned that last season after one of our losses dean pay addressed the whole side after the match saying that the effort wasn’t good enough and some players where taking the piss he told them “if you aren’t prepared to put in the effort then don’t even bother turning up to training tomorrow “ the next day at training Lachlan Lewis never turned up so pay called him and asked him why he wasn’t there lewis replied with “you told us not to turn up” for a coach to tolerate this type of disrespect from a player just underlines the fact dean isn’t up to the job the players might like pay and think he’s a great bloke but do they respect him? I don’t think so.
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. If this report is true then it is obvious Lewis doesn't, but this doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.
I think pay needs to be a lot harder on them, and players need to be held accountable. Players need to be demoted when they play shit, and vice versa. Sadly this is very difficult when there's no junior/reserve league's being played.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think its disturbing we need to get players from the UK like some of you guys are implying.

Might as well not let out kids play juniour footy because juniour players will then be a rarity to get a nrl contract.
It's hardly at this point. Not even close!! But if there is a position that desperately needs a dressing, and their is no one of quality available in that position here in Australia, then definitely we should be looking at the UK.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe they do, maybe they don't. If this report is true then it is obvious Lewis doesn't, but this doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.
I think pay needs to be a lot harder on them, and players need to be held accountable. Players need to be demoted when they play shit, and vice versa. Sadly this is very difficult when there's no junior/reserve league's being played.
What I dont understand is the Pay cheerleaders say he drops bad attitude trainers...Turbo says CHN, Ogden. Fair enough I guess.

But if you let shocking performance on the field go, Lewis, Britt, you kinda look a tad incompetent.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I guess the point I was trying to make is that by accepting that shit from Lewis and then continuing to play him week in week out what sort of example does that project to the rest of the team? Like I said I think they like him but respect is a completely different thing,and I think the way they play reflects what I am saying.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is this for real? Lewis literally didn't turn up?