Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Warriors superstar Shaun Johnson asks to be released from his contract with NRL club

Jilted Warriors star Shaun Johnson has today requested a release from the final year of his contract with the Auckland NRL club.

The 28-year-old halfback has a year remaining on his current million dollars per season deal but wants out immediately after the Warriors made it clear they are in no rush to re-sign him beyond 2019.

As first reported by the Herald last month, the Warriors informed Johnson and his manager that they would not be moving quickly to offer him a contract extension and that he was free to test his value on the open market.

In an explosive development in a fast-moving story, a disgruntled Johnson met with Warriors boss Cameron George and coach Stephen Kearney this morning and requested an immediate release while he explores options with several rival clubs in Australia.

It's unclear where he might land if he is eventually released but Cronulla are believed to be the early front-runners among a group of at least four clubs willing to bid for his services.

However, Johnson's request has been denied and the Warriors are so far holding firm in insisting that he see out the remainder of his contract.

The Penrose-based franchise are believed to have plans in the pipeline to replace the 263 game veteran long-term but still want him on deck at Mt Smart next season.

The Warriors have not ruled out re-signing the mercurial playmaker for 2020 and beyond but concerns over his consistency mean they are unwilling to throw him the amount of cash reserved only for the game's elite players.

Johnson, the club's marquee player and poster boy since his debut back in 2011, has not taken the news well.

Up until now, he has been the club's priority every time his contract has come up for renewal and Johnson now finds himself in unfamiliar territory.

With a cloud of uncertainty hanging over his future at the Warriors, Johnson is now ready to up and leave rather than stick around and prove his worth and value to the club.

Calls to the Warriors have so far gone unanswered but the ball is now in their court regarding Johnson's future.

If the Warriors do decide to grant him his wish and release Johnson it will send a clear message to fans that the club is not just doing what it's always done in automatically re-signing him.

The news comes after Johnson broke his silence on the matter via an emotional social media post yesterday expressing his frustration at the situation and explaining the impasse meant he was shopping himself around.

"I thought it's best I clear a couple things up regarding my situation at this stage with the Warriors," said Johnson.

"Firstly, there is no contract for me to sign past 2019.

"Secondly if you saw the article that came out a few weeks back [...] they said they are in no rush to re-sign me. Since then they have told me again at this stage they [won't] be offering me anything.

"That means I get to spread my wings and see what's out there so right now that's what I'm doing!".

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12167098

We better be having a crack at SJ right here and right now, clubs just taking the piss of they're not even entertaining the possibility of SJ in the blue and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.