Shattered Sharks officially a club in crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FORMER Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart has launched a scathing attack on the Sharks' handling of the Kade Snowden affair, while the club's dream of a $300 million development to ensure its long-term survival is again in jeopardy.

''If you've got monkeys running the zoo, it's always going to be a mess,'' Stuart declared yesterday, in a thinly veiled swipe at club chairman Damian Irvine.

The comments come as Snowden's father, Chris, defended his son, ridiculing suggestions the NSW forward is disloyal or mercenary. In further bad news for the Sharks, George Capsis - a Sutherland Shire councillor who was once chaplain of the Cronulla team - warned that the multimillion-dollar development that needs to be approved at tomorrow night's extraordinary meeting to provide the debt-ridden club with a revenue stream would be built upon a flood plain. Stuart's blast came after Snowden inadvertently became involved in the game's biggest contract wrangle when Cronulla trumpeted his re-signing on Thursday.

But a late and lucrative offer to join Newcastle - allegedly from prospective Knights owner Nathan Tinkler - forced Snowden to cancel a planned media conference and reconsider his future. Snowden maintains he hadn't shaken hands or signed the deal. Stuart unloaded on the club.

''I chuckled to myself when I heard people talking about loyalty during the week when people at the club fail to honour it themselves,'' Stuart said.

Snowden began his NRL career in his home town of Newcastle but managed just 14 games between 2005 and 2007. Unwanted by other clubs, Stuart took him to the Shire and transformed him from a borderline first-grader into a State of Origin prop. Stuart described Snowden as one of the club's most popular players and sympathised with his plight.

''I know Kade Snowden better than anyone at that club and I will stand by the kid,'' Stuart said. Chris Snowden, a footballer of some repute before a neck injury forced a premature retirement, rubbished suggestions his son was disloyal.

''Way off the mark. It [upsets] me a little bit that people might have thought that,'' he said.

''He has never been in this position … that's very harsh.

''You've got your fans that are loyal to their own club, and when things don't go their own way, they get a little bit upset. He's been real worried about how people think about him - that's knocked him about more than anything.

''We really feel for him. He's worked hard to get to where he is and a lot of that has had to do with Ricky as well. He's a bit down with the way things are.''

Knights chief executive Steve Burraston issued a statement yesterday claiming the club had no knowledge of the identity of the third party behind the deal. ''If the allegations are correct, that third party operated independent to and without the knowledge or approval of the Newcastle Knights board and management,'' Burraston said.

Kade Snowden has travelled to the family home at Belmont, near Newcastle, to escape media scrutiny.

The issue could come to a head tomorrow when Tinkler meets Knights officials to discuss his privatisation proposal.

It is understood he could also meet Snowden tomorrow.

Irvine said Snowden had been given the weekend off to clear his head. ''We support Kade 100 per cent in this; we don't feel he is at fault at all,'' he said.

On the development front, Capsis - who stressed he was speaking as a resident and not on behalf of the council - recalled how almost nine years ago the stadium precinct was flooded. The dressing rooms were swamped and a motorised shark fin Capsis drove on match days was destroyed.

Tomorrow night Cronulla Leagues Club members will vote on whether the Sharks should sign a development deal with a consortium to develop their land holdings - 10 hectares of junior playing fields, the home ground and two car parks - into retail outlets and a residential estate.

If approved, the Sharks would receive an advance of $2 million.

The club, which is $11 million in debt and is said to be unable to borrow any more from its bank, has warned members that voting against the proposal would jeopardise the club's future.

However, Capsis insisted there were major environmental problems that should be discussed.

''Yes, there are problems - there's flood issues for a start,'' he told The Sun-Herald.

''The risk of a flood at Shark Park isn't some kind of big secret - it flooded a few years ago.

''It is one of a few issues that need to be seriously looked at.

''It's a flood plain and these areas flood. It happened [at Toyota Stadium] a few years ago and all I can say is people have a short memory.

''These so-called one in a hundred year floods seem to be happening a lot more regularly.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ficially-a-club-in-crisis-20110219-1b07i.html

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$300m proposal that may save Sharks

lol but over at the telecrap on the same day.....

IF last week at Cronulla was about Kade Snowden, tomorrow is all about the club's faithful.
Members will convene at Sharks Leagues Club tomorrow night to determine the club's fate at an extraordinary general meeting.

Members will be asked to vote on a $300 million retail and residential development proposal that could end the club's financial failings once and for all.

The proposal includes a multi-level shopping centre, complete with outdoor eateries and beer gardens, entertainment zones for the kids and a residential estate that sits alongside a redesigned Toyota Stadium.

The project could take up to eight years to complete, but Cronulla chairman Damian Irvine said shifting home games during the development proposal was not an option.

"The proposal includes provision for all home games to remain at Toyota Stadium during the development process and for the licensed club to continue trading during the same period," Irvine told The Sunday Telegraph.

Irvine and his board are being guided by a consortium of property developers from the Capital Corporation, Parkview and Bluestone Property Solutions.

The proposal represents a new vision for the club.

Their goal is to rid the club of debt for the first time in 12 years, reposition the Sharks as a market leader in the community and entertainment precinct, keep the team in the Shire and create an ongoing income stream.

"The development has the potential to make us a very prosperous football club in the future, however plenty of work has to be done before that time comes," Irvine said.

"Other strategies the board has been pursuing over the past two years will combine with the property development to not only provide the long-term security and prosperity our club has aspired to for many years, but also consolidate our short-term financial position and needs."

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan urged members to have their say in the hope that any riches from the development will transfer to the football field.

"Sharks fans deserve a strong, competitive team on and off the field and this will deliver the opportunity to do this," Flanagan said.

Upon entering a development agreement, the consortium will advance an agreed up-front payment of $2 million that will go straight into the Sharks' coffers.

But it's the ongoing income stream from the retail arm of the development that is likely to see the Sharks pocket more than $1 million annually.

"Our club has borrowed against our land assets for many years and finally we are able to deliver an outcome that realises that asset and provides long-term revenue and security," Irvine said

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-may-save-sharks/story-e6frexnr-1226008681621

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Miller has big swipe at Stuart

and the return serve (article from sharks fan and member, phil mecrevice...purely conincidence)

SHARKS legend Gavin Miller yesterday attacked State of Origin and former Cronulla coach Ricky Stuart for using the club's desperate fight for NRL survival to air his personal grudges with the board.
Miller is convinced his struggling old club will die within 12 months unless members vote to support a $300 million development plan at tonight's football club meeting at Sharks League Club, described as the most crucial in Cronulla's history.

"I see Ricky Stuart has described the board as a load of monkeys - well, what's this got to do with him," Miller said. "Ricky's a friend of mine but he's made this personal."He left last year of his own accord because he had an unworkable relationship with Damian Irvine.

"This isn't about Ricky Stuart, Damian Irvine or Gavin Miller. It's about saving Cronulla. That's all I care about. Ricky's paid to coach the Origin team. He hasn't seen the development plans.

"And all the contract business between Kade Snowden and the club ... that's got nothing to do with Ricky Stuart either. I can't believe all the negative publicity."

Sitting overlooking the stadium from where he once captained the Sharks, Miller spoke from the heart about the previous fights to save the game's perennial battlers.

"Why am I getting worked up?" he said. "I'll tell you why. Remember back in 1984 when every player took a 50 per cent pay cut to stop the club from folding.

"We stood at traffic lights on the streets with buckets under our arms begging for money to keep the club afloat.

"The Sorensen brothers, the Mullane boys, Dave Chamberlin, Rowland Beckett, David Hatch, myself. Everyone. It was a very emotional time and you can understand why the club means so much to us."

Miller has been back living in the Shire for two years and has often attended training to offer help as an assistant to Stuart last year and Flanagan this season.

He's also taken a personal interest in the League Club development plans over the past six months.

"Have a look at these," he says, handing over the business cards from the consortium bosses of Parkview, Bluestone and Capital corporation.

"I've had a look at all the plans and I've been in to speak to them all personally," Miller said. "If there was any risk about the development site, do you really think three giant development companies would be getting involved?

"This is a no-brainer. The club gets an injection of cash straightaway. Otherwise, we're gone. The banks can't help anymore.

"People working in the club now will be out on the street and unemployed by the end of the year unless we go with the $300 million plan."

Miller also spoke of the contract tug-of-war between the Sharks and future Knights owner Nathan Tinkler for prop Kade Snowden.

"I know Kade Snowden is a great young man and he's done nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned," Miller said.

"If someone rang and offered you four years instead of two and an extra $50,000 a season, you'd want more time to think about it. Of course you would. You can't question his loyalty.

"Loyalty in rugby league died during the Super League war anyway.

"It's now about money.

"The club has done nothing wrong and Kade has done nothing wrong. Shane Flanagan is doing a tremendous job as coach and is handling this well. They just need some breathing space and it will get sorted."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-swipe-at-stuart/story-e6frexnr-1226009129218

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Vote will go with Sharks' proposal, says Irvine

CRONULLA chairman Damian Irvine says he is confident the majority of the club's members will tonight vote to proceed with a $300 million retail and residential development on club land that is seen as paramount to the long-term financial future of the Sharks.

The vote comes at a time when NRL chief executive David Gallop said it was important the club made a decision on development, a concept Cronulla have talked about for more than a decade.

''It has probably reached the point where, for the club's sake and everyone else's sake, there needs to be either a green light or a red light on the land development, because the uncertainty isn't healthy for the club or its fans,'' Gallop said.

The league closely monitors the progress of clubs that have pressing financial issues, of which Cronulla is clearly one.

Asked if the NRL thought Cronulla was in danger of folding, Gallop replied: ''Not at this stage, no, but they are certainly pinning a lot on the land development. Their financial position isn't great, but improvements in team performance, sponsorship and other areas can change things quickly.

''It happens, from time to time, that we monitor the situations of clubs, and we occasionally advance money from the end-of-season grants to clubs so that they can cover cash-flow problems. We've talked to Cronulla, over time.''

Irvine said the club needed one vote above 50 per cent of the members to get the development rolling.

''All the information has been supportive of the idea,'' Irvine said. ''And based on the feedback we are getting we will be confident. We're not pretending to be wealthy and secure, we know we have our challenges ahead, but we're breaking the mould to try and do things a different way and move forward.''

It has been reported the club would get an upfront payment of $2m from the development consortium if an agreement was finalised, and could expect to earn more than $1m a year from a percentage of the retail sales. But Irvine said the big earner would be from sales of the residential units.

''We would receive 10 per cent of the gross sales on the residential section,'' he said. ''We've asked for 700 residential units, but it may end up in the area of 550 to 600. At the sort of prices we would anticipate they would sell at, we would be looking at gaining between $25m and $30m to use as football club revenue over the next 10 years.''

The Sharks are in the news on two fronts at the moment. The club is still hoping star prop Kade Snowden agrees to stay, after a news conference that was scheduled to announce he had agreed to terms on a new contract was cancelled on Thursday. The Nathan Tinkler group that hopes to get control of the Newcastle club came in with a last-minute offer for him.

Cronulla, Snowden and the Tinkler group have all been criticised over the situation with some of the most scathing comments coming from former Sharks coach Ricky Stuart in yesterday's The Sun-Herald.

''If you've got monkeys running the zoo, it's always going to be a mess,'' said Stuart, who does not get on with Irvine. ''I chuckled to myself when I heard people talking about loyalty during the week, when people at the club fail to honour it themselves. I know Kade Snowden better than anyone at that club and I will stand by the kid.''

Asked if he wished to reply to what Stuart had said, Irvine replied: ''I've got no comment on that at all. We'll just keep working on achieving what we need to achieve. We have got no concern about anything outside the club.''

The Sharks are not the only club under apparent siege from the Tinkler group, with a report yesterday stating that Bulldogs centre Jamal Idris had also been made a big offer. Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said all he could do was focus on making Idris the best offer possible.

''I don't know the details of any offers that might have been made, but it's only natural Jamal is going to attract interest,'' Greenberg said. ''He's a big talent and he's got a high profile. But there are some very good reasons for him to stay at the Bulldogs, and not just to do with money.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...arks-proposal-says-irvine-20110220-1b13g.html

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
how can this club be in crisis when they have signed youtube sensation Keenan Cahill to promote the club internationally?

[video=youtube;PCMDmjh3bxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCMDmjh3bxw[/video]

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
all their eggs in one basket? fail and relocate ya duds

harold holt still aint comin supercoach

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No circus: Sharks to shut gates to media

CRONULLA will lock the Toyota Stadium gates behind them when Kade Snowden returns to training with the rest of the team today.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan told the Herald last night that in the interests of trying to keep distractions to a minimum and making sure the team prepared properly for the start of the season the only sensible option was to keep the media at a distance.

''We're going to lock training down,'' he said. ''We've had a good pre-season, and with the premiership kick-off only a few weeks away, we have to get on with the job. I don't need it to become a circus.''

Snowden has been staying with his parents at the family home in Newcastle following the drama that erupted over his future on Thursday. The Sharks called a media conference to announce the representative prop had agreed to terms on a new contract, but after the media arrived, the conference was cancelled and news leaked out Snowden had been approached by prospective Newcastle owner Nathan Tinkler.

Asked if he had an update on Snowden's future, Flanagan replied: ''I don't. That will all be worked out in the next few days.''

The Tinkler Group will meet with Knights' management today, in a bid to push its ownership bid through to a meeting of club members for a vote next month. There has been speculation Snowden will also meet with Tinkler today. Flanagan said: ''I don't know anything about that. He will be at training tomorrow.''

At the least, Snowden's manager, Todd Buckingham, is expected to meet Tinkler.

Flanagan made it clear he thought Cronulla had been portrayed unfairly in the media over the Snowden issue when he said the Sharks had, in good faith, ''put their chin out there as a club and had it whacked all over the place''. He said he had spoken to Snowden at the weekend, and the Origin player was ''fine''.

Cronulla chairman Damian Irvine said he anticipated a decision from Snowden on his future within days. ''He will come and see us early in the week with his manager, and have a chat,'' Irvine said. ''He has agreed to terms, and based on that, we're still confident Kade will be here next year. Kade wasn't in the right frame of mind to front that media conference the other day. He was flustered, and we have a duty to him as a player in a situation like that.''

Irvine said Snowden hadn't rejected the offer ''on the table'' but he refused to get involved in a guessing game on what the young prop might do. ''He has done nothing wrong at this stage,'' Irvine said. ''He is rock solid and he's a good kid. He hasn't reneged on his deal, he just needs more time.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ks-to-shut-gates-to-media-20110220-1b13f.html

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
just relocate ffs. you guys will fold sooner or later anyways

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Voting on the $300 million development for Sharks members is tonight.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm with Gavin Miller, Stuart has already had his spak and walk out, let the Sharks work through it and don't recycle drama's, its not about Ricky now, if he cared he wouldn't of left.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Alright it sounds good and all that the Sharks could possibly get the much needed cash out of this... but can someone tell me if there's any catch to all this?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Official release: Sharks members vote yes

Sharks Media OtherMon, Feb 21, 2011 - 9:46 PM

Cronulla Sutherland League Club Members tonight voted resoundingly in favour of the Board’s proposal to enter into a venture partnership with Bluestone Capital Consortium.

Over 98% of the 575 Members in attendance provided a strong show of support for the board of directors and management of the Sharks, who presented their preferred development partner to Members after a 12-month process to locate the best financial and community outcome for their land holdings.

Ten hectares of club land will be developed under the proposal, which includes mixed-use retail and residential development.

The meeting began positively with Sharks chairman Damian Irvine announcing that late today Minister Tony Kelly has signed off on the Part 3A application.

Irvine and the Sharks board of directors were very pleased with the result.

"Our job is to research all possible options and leave no stone unturned in locating and performing due diligence on the best possible options for our membership," Irvine said.

"That our Members have agreed to support our preferred partnership so resoundingly tonight is a fantastic endorsement for our club and our future.

"For the result to be so convincing only confirms to the greater community, that we are a proud united club, doing what needs to be done to not only survive into the future but also prosper."

Club legends Andrew Ettingshausen and Gavin Miller, along with the current NRL squad, were on hand to show their support of the property development, along with a range of Leagues Club Members and past and present club stalwarts.

While buoyed by the result tonight, Irvine was still cautious in reiterating that there is still plenty of hard work ahead to ensure that Members expectations will be upheld.

"This is a club with a future, and a very strong future and I encourage all past sponsors and Members who might not have renewed their association with us, or any potential sponsors and Members to get in touch with us and be a part of what is the most exciting era of the club's history," Irvine said.

http://nrl.com.au/official-release-sharks-members-vote-yes/tabid/10874/newsid/61432/default.aspx

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
how can this club be in crisis when they have signed youtube sensation Keenan Cahill to promote the club internationally?

[video=youtube;PCMDmjh3bxw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCMDmjh3bxw[/video]
wtf!

fridge

New Pup
Reaction score
=Tomorrow night Cronulla Leagues Club members will vote on whether the Sharks should sign a development deal with a consortium to develop their land holdings - 10 hectares of junior playing fields, the home ground and two car parks - into retail outlets and a residential estate.
i might have missed something but where will the sharks play their home games when this happens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
i might have missed something but where will the sharks play their home games when this happens?
Good question : No decision at this stage ... the development application must be submitted first before anyone can get an idea on that medium sized topic.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
for a club that has been under the pump financially for some years, why didnt the sharks make the decision to sell off some land or develop some land years ago. the club relied on constant bank over drafts to pay staff, was the previous board not capable of putting the club in a position to have a future, or just didnt have any planning for the future. hope the juniors dont suffer out of this

Status
Not open for further replies.