Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Sharks fans planning 'keep Greg' rally to stop Bird from flying coop

By Dean Ritchie
December 03, 2008

ANGRY Cronulla supporters are planning a demonstration to protest against the probable sacking of star player Greg Bird.
Bird, stood down by the club in August after being charged over the alleged glassing of his girlfriend Katie Milligan, is facing the axe at a meeting with the Sharks' board on Thursday.

As revealed in Tuesday's Daily Telegraph, Cronulla will also ask the NRL to deregister Bird for two years.

But fans on a website called Sharks Forever have started planning a public rally to support Bird before he meets the board.

Supporters are urging fellow fans to "spread the word by text".

Fans are attempting to get the Cronulla supporters club, called The Finatics, involved.

Sharks Tragic wrote: "If we want to keep GB (Bird) in our team we must stand up and make our voice be heard.

"The only way to do this is to go to the club on Thursday or Friday when the board meeting is conducted and let the board know how we feel."

Capital Shark added: "I'd suggest everyone who can get there (should, because we don't) want to have Greg Bird playing for another NRL club.

"Be realistic, if he isn't found guilty of something half decent in April, the NRL WILL NOT deregister Bird because our club took an easy out."

Another fan said he would "definitely" be attending.

Sharks chairman Barry Pierce said supporters had a right to protest.

"Those fans are entitled to an opinion," Pierce said.

"But I am also getting a number of emails from fans who disapprove of what Greg (allegedly) did. It could go on and on.

"They are also pleased with how we are handling it.

"I don't know anything about the (protest) meeting. We just have to go through the process."

Bird, when contacted by The Daily Telegraph, was reluctant to talk about Cronulla's plans to sack him. "I don't want to comment. I'll leave it to them to make all the rash comments," he said.

Bird's barrister Les Nicholls confirmed he would attend Thursday's meeting with the player's manager Gavin Orr, but would not comment on the outcome.

The Sharks board will be accompanied by the club's legal representative Steve Gorry.

Bird, who has a contract for the next four years, has had a charge of maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm downgraded to reckless wounding. He will appear in court on April 26.

Cronulla's board met on Tuesday night, when Bird's sacking was understood to have been ratified.

English club Warrington is favourite to sign Bird, who may be deregistered by the NRL.

Although Crounlla want Bird banned for two years, the NRL is considering deregistering him for one season.

lol apparently they don't just take quotes from the kennel

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright , whos gunna join up and sh!t stir them, I would've if i wasn't at work.

Grubby sharks fans.

I wish Paul Gallen would hurry up and glass some chick too so we can get the fck rid of him aswell.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One dimensional sh*t ass team, how they ever made the playoffs is a mystery. From the sounds of things it looks like coach Ricky isnt too far from glassing someone himself.

Mountain Dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
is it just me or WHO CARES, yes he did something bad, however she's not pressing charges, the cops are grasping at straws, everybody needs to get over it. Karmichael, Darius, Thaidai, are caught snorting drugs, filming themselves doing god knows what to that dumb broad, and they play for Australia, Birds gettin run out of the game, I don't like him or the Sharks, and his missus maybe an idiot, but in the end, she's not pressing charges, so who cares, 30 years ago this probably happened every week.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I cant believe some of those idiots on that Sharks thread !

Some tool reckons he is gonna drive up from Victoria for the protest !

Mountain Dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
good on em, at least there are some NRL fans who care enough bout their team and their game to actually do something. I reckon it would be a good day, get pissed and cause ****, that's always fun.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
good on em, at least there are some NRL fans who care enough bout their team and their game to actually do something. I reckon it would be a good day, get pissed and cause ****, that's always fun.
I should take my BBQ and sell some snags !

Mountain Dogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
how about selling Kebebs and felafals, that'll go down well with those ignorant aussie pride bogans.

our_footy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Go the Sharks, they are my team, but unfortunatley bird should be made an example of, this crap has been swept under the carpet for 100 years in rugby league

its time to clean house, not only at cronulla, a gr8 place to start would be with colin love & co

i say clean up pro sport & good luck to all our doggie mate here

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Media are so stupid.

What started as a rant by 20 or so faceless internet fans, has grown into a full-blown media event. I just saw it mentioned on morning news. Meeting tonight at 7pm - I'm looking forward to the small crowd !

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
LOL @ Sandman !

Stirring the pot over in the Shire I saw !

S

sandman77

Updat on the Protest,

Was epic fail.

No one showed up to protest.

footyfortress

Waterboy
Reaction score
Im a sharks fan and i pity this site.

But i may note.
We have a better coach
Finished wayyyyy higher on the ladder this year.

What Bird did was bad, i agree... Better than being accused of Rape tho.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL. "We have a better coach" "Finished way higher on the ladder this year"

And what did that get you? What did you achieve? What have you ever achieved? Please. Put crap on our club if you like, but do it properly. LOL "Better coach"

Status
Not open for further replies.