Shane Watson Wins 2010 Allan Border Medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
All-rounder Shane Watson has capped an amazing career transformation by winning the Allan Border Medal as Australia's top cricketer.

He won the medal and also the one-day international player of the year award for the first time.

Watson was honoured on Monday night at a black-tie function in Melbourne.

His fellow Test opening batsman Simon Katich was the other major award winner, taking the Test award for the first time.

The fact that the three major awards went to first-time winners was a strong reflection that the past year has been a period of major transformation for the Australia team.

After years of injury problems, 28-year-old Watson has blossomed since he joined Katich as the Test openers during last year's Ashes series in England.

Watson was the favourite to win the Medal, but when interviewed at the start of the night he expressed relief that he was finally playing consistently well at international level.

"For me this summer has been something I have only ever dreamed of," he said.

"To get the opportunity that I did during the Ashes was something I looked forward to, to put my hand up and put in some good performances and to be able to continue that through this summer has been something as I said I have only ever dreamed of."

Watson finally scored his maiden Test century during the Boxing Day match against Pakistan and this is the first time he has completed an Australian summer.

He has previously struggled with back stress fractures, shoulder, hamstring and calf problems and there were times when it appeared as though he would not realise his undoubted potential
Watson was recalled to the Test side after Phil Hughes was dropped for the third Ashes Test.

He polled 125 votes to win the Medal, with last year's joint winner Michael Clarke second on 90 and ICC player of the year Mitchell Johnson finishing third on 87.

The Medal was based on player, umpire and media votes for Tests and one-day internationals from February 4 last year to last Friday.

There were 14 Tests and 42 one dayers in the voting period, so the Test votes had a greater weighting for each player's Border Medal total.

Watson won the one-day award with 33 votes, eight clear of Michael Hussey, while Katich polled 11 to beat Johnson in the Test award by one vote.

Watson finished equal-third in the Test award with Clarke on nine votes.

South Australia's Michael Klinger was named the top state player for the second year in a row. He joins three-time winner Darren Lehmann as the only player to have won the award more than once.

All-rounder Shelley Nitschke won her second-straight women's international cricketer award.

Victoria all-rounder John Hastings won the Bradman young cricketer award.

Watson was near tears as he accepted the award.

"It's been an awesome ride and it's very overwhelming actually to receive this award," Watson said.

Watson quickly lightened the mood when one of the first groups he thanked was Cricket Australia's medical staff.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26728311-5018870,00.html

BONZ

Waterboy
Reaction score
He was a certainty.

I was at the TAB last week though and they said betting was unavailable. Still, wouldn't have had to be paying much.

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great story. After all he's been through he deserves it.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the awards. He was almost in tears when he recieved it. After everything that he has been through he deserves it. Congrats to Graham MacKenzie and Bill Lawry who got inducted into the hall of fame, congrats to Katich too. All of the ladies were looking good lol.

JERRY LEE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
congratulations to him as he has really come of age this year.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He deserved it.

Someone explain this to me however - how on earth did Michelle Clarke get the 2nd most votes ?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
considering hussey has only been going well in the one dayers, with ponting not at his best, the bowlers coming in and out. I can see why pup clarke got the 2nd most. He has had one of his better years but i think this year its been more of a combined team effort rather than a few stand outs. Really other than Watson, the rest chipped in enough

Status
Not open for further replies.