SG lands Assistant Coaches job at the Cowboys

DirtyDog72

Waterboy
Reaction score
Former Canterbury interim coach Steve Georgallis has found a new home at the Cowboys.

Georgallis, who did a good job in difficult circumstances when Dean Pay parted ways with the Bulldogs midway through this season, beat a host of candidates for the position as Todd Payten's assistant for 2021.

One of the most experienced assistant coaches on the market, Georgallis was on the Wests Tigers' coaching staff alongside Payten for several seasons.

Steve Georgallis has been on the Bulldogs' staff for several seasons. (Getty)

He is expected to move up north after an official announcement is made in coming days.

After the Bulldogs appointed Trent Barrett as head coach for next season, the 52-year-old Georgallis declared he believed he was a career coach and intended to stay in the game.

His experience will help Payten, who did a great job when he took over from Stephen Kearney at the Warriors early this season but is one of the NRL's youngest head coaches at 41.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great news for him. Also sincerely hope that PAy gets back into coaching as even though it didn't work out for him wish him only the best.
Some guys are made to be assistants and only assistants and I think that is Pays calling. Bellamy and Stuart had massive wraps on Pay as an assistant coach and so I don't think he'll be out of the loop for too long before another assistants gig comes knocking.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: well done Steve . Happy for him

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I feared for his employment but glad he landed a gig, seems like a pretty decent bloke!

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Great news for him. Also sincerely hope that PAy gets back into coaching as even though it didn't work out for him wish him only the best.
Nasheed here,
Pay's future is as a defence coach, and it may be with us even.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I honestly can't see him coaching anywhere, unless teams are really desperate.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on him seemed like a nice bloke and I thought he actually improved our team and at least our style of play wouldn’t have minded him sticking around

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day after pay left the dogs Phil Gould called him and said he could get him an assistant job at any club he wanted and he turned him down said he’s not interested in coaching at the top level at least for a while and will be helping out in group 6 next year