Seven changes! Kevin Walters wields the axe ahead of Origin II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Origin! It was very recent QLD talking heads where saying NSW where behind because they didn't stick with a squad and show loyalty to those players like QLD did............. loose one game, and half their squad gets dropped.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last time QLD made this many changes was when they got flogged in the 2000 series, difference was they waited till the following year.

If NSW towel them up in game 2 they wont know what to do for next year.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Queensland did the right thing game 1, they showed loyalty and when the team didn't perform they have the tap on the shoulder . The difference is these guys are all in their 30s, minus O'Neill.. so it's different to dropping fresh legs. I think qld look very dangerous

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
ha ha !
pick and stick, eh Queensland ?
Easy to do when you're winning and have 3 future immortals in your team. lose one game, and the ***** lose their fucking mind !

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How come
When ever a game is sent to Melbourne
It's always a nsw home game getting sent to Melbourne

Always essentially ensures Queensland get 2 home games every series

s
AS much as i dislike QLD (and I live there), this is not quite correct.

In the post seuper league era, NSW and QLD have hosted the same number of games. The Melbourne game is now every 3 years, and in the other two years, QLD get 2 games one year, and NSW get 2 games in the other.

although i'm sure the Melbourne crowds get behind QLD mire than NSW...

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's all laugh at QLD and that powder puff pack!

7 changes lol Walters wouldn't need to do that if he didn't pick a dud team the first time around. Good on him for seeing that changes had to be made. While Daley stuck with Farah and Peptide Paul for years.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If NSW don't turn up Qld will win this and be hard to beat in the last one. This is a better team than the last and NSW will have to be on their game. Thurston and Slater back and with the addition of Hess, Cooper. Qld should be close to favourites. I still don't think Mitchell Pearce is the right guy for the position but there are not many choices except Moylan who is playing really well. I'm worried for NSW

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
QLD going back to that era were they pick average players to make up the team i.e. Wagon, Flannery, Buttigieg
Dont forget john doyle and the fact the qld unknowns ripped nsw apart that year in 2001. Doyle was picked from reserve grade and dominated... hopefully glasby has the last laugh

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's all laugh at QLD and that powder puff pack!
7 changes lol Walters wouldn't need to do that if he didn't pick a dud team the first time around. Good on him for seeing that changes had to be made. While Daley stuck with Farah and Peptide Paul for years.
Yeah let's all laugh at the powder puff pack

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They've kept the same spine, just made some changes in the backs and engine room. The positives for this side are that the spine at this stage know each others game and could predict what the others have planned just from body language. Dropping some aging players and replacing them with youth could go either way. It was inevitable that they'd have to do this soon anyway. Doing so with the series on the line looks like a bit of desperation but if they have chosen well it could be a masterstroke.

At the end of the day though I think that even with the superior spine that qld have had during their great run, the fact remains that quite a few crucial series wins have come from referring decisions that we're hugely questionable. I'd say that game three last year was the culmination of my time watching origin. For the first two games the trans were allowed to belt each other. In the third game I thought about ten minutes in that they ordered NSW to put skirts on this nullifying the advantage they had developed with the forwards. I'm convinced that gambling was at the heart of it. I'm not usually prone to these type of conspiracy theories, but during the last season or two I've seen plenty of things that made me jump to the conclusion that at least a couple of matches each week are fixed. If multi betting is going to cost gambling agencies a lot of money they can fix one or two games which would kill the majority of multi bets. I hate thinking that the sport is no longer fair, but logic tells me that it isn't and when it comes to origin it's been going on for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.