SEN Interview Pt 1 & 2 - Phil Gould confirms interest in Addin Fonua-Blake, concedes lack of depth in forwards.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to "GM Of Football At The Canterbury Bulldogs" link, to listen to the interview.

Pt 1 and 2 on separate links.

Last edited:

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this, definitely answered some questions I had. Its funny I also thought of Steve Mortimer watching that woods kid’s highlights

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sounds like Gus has got Burto on his radar for necessary improvement.

Woods reminds him of Turvey. Excellent.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a feeling klemmer is coming back

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sounds like Gus has got Burto on his radar for necessary improvement.

Woods reminds him of Turvey. Excellent.
Yeah sounding like all those utility players he has just signed could be intended for more specific roles. Hope there is a plan b for that middle forward he alluded to. Wasn't convinced that he is as confident as he made out with what we've currently got. Looking forward to the trials already. Going to be a long off-season.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah sounding like all those utility players he has just signed could be intended for more specific roles. Hope there is a plan b for that middle forward he alluded to. Wasn't convinced that he is as confident as he made out with what we've currently got. Looking forward to the trials already. Going to be a long off-season.
He reckons we have more in the forwards than fans think....hope so :grinning:

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He reckons we have more in the forwards than fans think....hope so :grinning:
Without doubt we need strengthening in the front row and I'm confident Gus will get us someone, but regardless of that I think we desperately need either Patolo, Hughes, Katoga or Famaasili (spelling??) to really have a breakout year and step up and actually make positive contributions to the team

Patolo has had a bad run with injuries but showed glimpses of promise a couple of years ago. Hughes is a big body that hopefully can start to use that and be effective at NRL level but both are still young

Famaasali and Katoga are real unknowns, but hopefully they might surprise us.

I guess what these guys do have is an opportunity and hopefully they grab it because I am confident by next year or by 2025, Gus will get a couple of experienced NRL props to the club.

We also have young Isaac Mateeva-Booth regaining fitness and that kid has the size to be anything in a couple of years. Throw in Todd and Hipoi from Flegg and there are some good youngsters there, but they still need development and are at least a couple of years away

I think Gus is playing his cards close to his chest and in the last month or 2 there has been plenty of rumours of props (who are under contract) possibly becoming available i.e Safiti, JT, AFB, Klemmer etc so I suspect Gus is right amongst it in regards to wheeling and dealing for those players

Either way we need all the front rowers we currently have to lift to the next level to give us some sort of platform up front

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
At least he acknowledges we need forwards.
I’m sure we can get a forward if he wanted to over spend. How many players can request a release and get a huge upgrade knowing we are cashed up and ready to spend . Gus won’t do that because in 2025 is the chance to get a couple of bigs on big money and we don’t want to be tied to a good prop on overs just yet. Gus has a habit of culling to free up cash and we have done that it’s just a waiting game to get the AFB or someone along those lines. Most of who we signed are on 2 yr deals and wouldn’t think on massive dollars. We have opportunities for those players and that will create enthusiasm and hunger. I have hope.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is why he was willing to take the Sia gamble until it was a no go.
It also tells us that he is struggling to find quality.
That’s why I said “the sky is blue”. It’s obvious our pack needs strengthening, but still good for the fans to hear him say it I guess. Also, another obvious fact that there aren’t any quality players available. If we get anyone for next season, it will be a deal they negotiate with another club, since no one decent is available. A la how we picked up Knight. This also clearly illustrates why Tko was even considered. Very slim pickings for top props atm. I don’t see them entertaining the thought of signing Tko if there’s even a few other good options.