Security Cameras

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You should join a house sitter/pet sitters site.

Thought about using a sitter, especially with our dog getting older. Just have concern if for whatever reason the deal feel through at late notice wed be stuffed (we are usually overseas in peak times). This is why we prefer the relatively more secure option of a kennel we trust booking months in advance.

But its something we are looking at. I know Mrs CD would much prefer someone we know though - so we'd be looking more at the young adult children of family friends etc. My sister stayed at mine for a week whilst i was away recently (just coincidental her family was in town whilst we were out of it), and i did prefer that.

Reactions: Kaz

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thought about using a sitter, especially with our dog getting older. Just have concern if for whatever reason the deal feel through at late notice wed be stuffed (we are usually overseas in peak times). This is why we prefer the relatively more secure option of a kennel we trust booking months in advance.

But its something we are looking at. I know Mrs CD would much prefer someone we know though - so we'd be looking more at the young adult children of family friends etc. My sister stayed at mine for a week whilst i was away recently (just coincidental her family was in town whilst we were out of it), and i did prefer that.
Maybe ask family & friends if they know of someone.

Animals feel more secure in their own environment.

Are your neighbours nice/trustworthy. (I am sounding like a cop)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A friend of mine in Melbourne got totally ransacked a couple of years ago. House backs onto a park (something I'd never do respite the nice outlook). Anyway, they put their bins out a couple days early - I think that was their main mistake.

Once you're the victim of crime you do get a bit paranoid. When I come down the stairs each morning, I look straight to the carport to check the cars are there. Fucking hate it.

I get more paranoid when we're overseas. Phone stays on for any alerts from home.
From personal (and professional) experience, I have found that 99.9% of criminals will avoid it if there's a decent deterrence.

I have person detection on my home. I hate it when I'm on holiday and out of mobile service range 'cause I can't see notifications. When I do detect someone I jump on the cameras and talk directly to them.

That said, there are systems that send out Auto-notification. When someone is detected it sends out an audio message via the camera. A lot of the camera systems will also include a monitoring service. For residential, it's a pretty shit service. But you don't pay much for it. For commercial, it's a much better service. But you pay through the nose for it.

Even with the automated systems, criminals will usually run away. A simple motion detector light deters everyone except the professional criminals, and the extremely brave kids.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The issue with a wifi based security system is that they are totally dependent on your wifi to be operating, each individual device relies on there being wifi access 24/7/365. With a PoE wired system you aren't relying on a wifi connection, the disadvantage of course is that someone has to run the cat 5/6 cables. I also have UPS back up that keeps the system operating during the ever more frequent black/brown outs or if your criminal is smart enough to recognise that your camera/s are wifi and simply turns off your power. Battery powered cameras are also limited in their video quality due to their need to operate with lower power demands to preserve the battery life. As a result a powered camera will in general have superior video, particularly in low light situations, black & white versus colour etc. Plus more features, many that enable the recorder to communicate with the cameras and vice versa.

As a deterrent visible camera/s are effective, that's why I have a big arsed camera visible from the street. Past that how much protection is then determined by the budget available.

Always a Bulldog

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
How is turning off the power any different, wired to wireless?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Battery powered cameras are also limited in their video quality due to their need to operate with lower power demands to preserve the battery life.
Cameras I am thinking of getting are 4k quality.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A added level of security if they are going to target your power is a certified padlock (they need to be accessable by your energy company and emergency services) which you can by from this place for example.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
A added level of security if they are going to target your power is a certified padlock (they need to be accessable by your energy company and emergency services) which you can by from this place for example.

This is what we recommended to my mother after she had a couple of incidents where her power was switched off (whilst she was home). The energy company can access if required.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I have a normal padlock, as I have solar panels. No meter reader for me.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is what we recommended to my mother after she had a couple of incidents where her power was switched off (whilst she was home). The energy company can access if required.
I got one a while back, people lock up their boxes with a standard padlock and there are fines for doing so that outweight the cost of the legit padlock if they need to read it.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cameras I am thinking of getting are 4k quality.
That's 4k under certain conditions, perfect light, the right focal distance, perfect contrast, etc much like megapixels a 6MP camera can be worse than a 4MP camera. Are they 4k full colour at night? Or are they black and white below a certain light level?

It's like saying all 4k TV's are the same, when plainly they aren't.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How is turning off the power any different, wired to wireless?
One UPS connected to the PoE recorder or switch to continue the power supply to the cameras.
If you want the wifi cameras to continue functioning during power loss then you would need to have a UPS on the wifi system (however many wifi routers you have) as well as the recorder.

Always a Bulldog

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One of the guys at work have those.
they’re brilliant. You’ll be happy.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A big male American Bulldog and Female Pitbull has kept our home safe, also had Rottweilers in the past as well.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks.

Looks like it will be Eufy, don't like the look of the wyze cameras. lol

Edit: Wyze don't have the best reviews.
Just check the lifetime for thier batteries i've had a solar light on my house for ten years and its perfect still