Secret substance behind South's season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The second they bring up traditional Chinese medicine you know that it is bs. 99.9% of that shit doesn't work. And the 0.1% that does can be done better by modern techniques.

In saying that I know nothing of this particular tech so I can't speak on it particularly.
I so wished these East Asian medicines don't work so I didn't have to drink all the black bitter soups when I had flu as a kid lol

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Kent makes a tonne of sense all the time. People just love a hate bandwagon.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no substance about Souths season other than bullshit
Old man Bennett was on to them months back
They made the GF... They are obviously doing something right. A lot better than any team Bennett has had in a while... They needed the storm to be banned to win a premiership.

ninja_h

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Souff players could consider this to cool off:

Been quite a week for me, a lot of happening in my hometown and my beloved doggies' GF!

Reaction score
The problem is that an Alabama court ruled that they are placebo treatments and when the proprietor attempted to overrule it he was asked to produce the so called scientific evidence but could not.

It's the same as all the homeopathy and yoyo diets you see going around. You can claim whatever you want but you need to be able to backup those claims with actual science, especially if you claim there is science involved.
this is the exact reason why madge wouldn't waste his time with placebo's. he's not a coach that would use placebo's, he has enough knowledge to find real tech

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the exact reason why madge wouldn't waste his time with placebo's. he's not a coach that would use placebo's, he has enough knowledge to find real tech
But Placebos work, in a non literal sense, when I was younger and more athletic one of my coaches did his masters paper and testing for the paper on the effects of Placebos on athletes (he was in some strand of sports psych), I was in the group taking tablets that were essentially nothing tablets and our performance improved to almost the same amount as people who were taking tablets that were not banned but were known to influence performance. I'm not sure on the details, not having my masters in any form of sports science, but placebos can massively influence your mental state which in turn improves your performance.

There is evidence suggesting the whole idea of easy sessions the day before a game to recover is nothing more than a placebo effect. But I bet that if you take it away a teams performance, in at least the short term until they bought in to what you were doing, would suffer.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is that the information about the technology is readily available and it's based on energy flow through meridians which science has already proven to be false.

I'm not questioning Madge or his reasons behind using it, just saying that the chips are already proven to be a placebo.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is that the information about the technology is readily available and it's based on energy flow through meridians which science has already proven to be false.

I'm not questioning Madge or his reasons behind using it, just saying that the chips are already proven to be a placebo.
On top of this... I didn't realise Madge had a phd in a form of sports science... I mean I know he is a former PE teacher and is trained to be a strength and conditioning coach... Not calling him stupid or anything, but he is far from an authority on the topic of performance enhancers.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
What happens if half the comp uses these next season? Will they be banned all of a sudden ??

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Really opens the door for more of this stuff to be introduced next year. Some clubs will do anything for success and if it's good for one its good for all even though I don't agree with any form of artificial enhancers whatsoever. They will ban it when it becomes an outrage that all clubs are starting to use them but it cant take away Souths trophy. Dig a little deeper Doggies, there is the familiar scent of cheating coming from the burrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it was an energy booster that soaked into the blood through the skin then it is a drug.
So now the Premiers are drug cheats, oh well, we were had.

Malla

Reaction score
NRL should legalise GH for injury recovery.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once we try to use it the nrl will ban it but say souths win still stands pfffft

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Very interesting reading. I made the comment at the time in relation to this part of the article;

The NRL said today it does not propose taking any action in relation to the use of iced fluid products used by the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
A spokesman said the South Sydney Rabbitohs club had provided assurances that the Club doctor had carefully assessed the products and was satisfied that they contain no prohibited substances and were not harmful to players.
As a result, no further action was planned on the matter

Now I know that this is just an article and we all have our suspicions or a little bit of disbelief when it comes to certain things printed in papers, but the allegations that the Rabbits doctor provided assurances that the NRL (apparently blindly and without confirmation) accepted and cleared does not sit well with me.It does smell of a cover up and maybe a distraction from something more sinister and controversial to do with practices at Souths this year.
The link to the chooks forum made for interesting reading as well. It seems that those who spoke about 'sour grapes' on our behalf against some things that went on during the year and the GF itself are sadly mistaken if they think a lot of other people were not intimating exactly the same things. Read it and judge for yourself.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Either way, if it isn't banned then it is legal to use regardless if it does something, or not.

If it is anything more than a placebo, then I guess good work from Souths getting on to it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Either way, if it isn't banned then it is legal to use regardless if it does something, or not.

If it is anything more than a placebo, then I guess good work from Souths getting on to it.
Well that's just it.

The thought is that the chips may well be BS/placebo, but the ice/performance/deer antler spray, actually contains IGF-1, which is banned by ASADA, and had NFL stars sidelined as a result, despite assurances the sprays were safe.

In other words, if they perform and make them train and play better, the excuse is it's the chips doing it, rather than the spray.

The doctors "clearing" the spray, were their own, and the NRL approved them based on that advice.

Sus part is that Souths want no other club using them (perhaps as they will be caught out).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The "Ultimate Sports Spray" was a different compound. It was the deer antler spray which was banned because it contained peptides. The ice spray they are using is basically the same as the one you can buy in the shops with some tweaks. The main reason the NRL weren't bothered by any of the devices used is that they do not enter the bloodstream, therefore they cannot have any effect on performance above the normally used enhancements.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The "Ultimate Sports Spray" was a different compound. It was the deer antler spray which was banned because it contained peptides. The ice spray they are using is basically the same as the one you can buy in the shops with some tweaks. The main reason the NRL weren't bothered by any of the devices used is that they do not enter the bloodstream, therefore they cannot have any effect on performance above the normally used enhancements.
Funny thing is that anything you spray on your skin or have in contact with your skin can be easily absorbed by the body. Just googled this web page as an example;

http://naturalhealthcarestore.com/researchskinabsorbs.htm

I know that the product described is not the one in question but absorption principal the same. That is why people who have heart problems, asthma and a few other medical conditions need to be careful if they use voltaren for example because of the contraindications of the drug: done via absorption through the skin into the bloodstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.