Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Preview: Sea Eagles v Bulldogs

Lottoland plays host to a crunch game between traditional rivals keen to build on last-start wins.

The Sea Eagles travelled north and showed they can still be a force this season with a crushing 30-8 win over the previously unbeaten Cowboys, while the Bulldogs weathered an early onslaught to down the Warriors 24-12 in Dunedin.

It'll be a special afternoon for Sea Eagles skipper Daly Cherry-Evans who will play game 150 this weekend, while Bulldogs winger Brett Morris joins the 200 club 11 years after making his NRL debut.

The Sea Eagles welcome back Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake from their respective shoulder charge suspensions, with Billy Bainbridge and Shaun Lane relegated to an extended bench.

Rookies Brad Abbey and Marcelo Montoya have retained their spots in the Bulldogs backline with Des Hasler naming an unchanged side from the one that downed the Warriors.

Why the Sea Eagles can win: Two words: Tom Trbojevic. The Sea Eagles fullback is fast becoming one of the must-see players in the NRL, with the youngster shooting to the top of the leaderboard with a whopping 625 running metres from the first three rounds. His speed and ability to create try-scoring opportunities out of nothing make him a threat every time he carries the ball, and the lanky fullback will be keen to atone for his error from the last time these sides met that allowed Josh Reynolds to score a try in golden point.

Why the Bulldogs can win: Manly have received a huge boost with big boppers Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake set to return from suspension, but even with them in the side the Sea Eagles face the daunting prospect of trying to contain Canterbury's monster pack. The Bulldogs rank 10th in the NRL for metres gained – mainly because they've been starved of possession for long stretches in the early rounds – while the Sea Eagles are last with 3,994 running metres so far in 2017. It's an area Canterbury will be keen to assert their dominance, and if they can lay a platform, expect the men on the flanks to have a field day.

The history: Played 125; Sea Eagles 62; Bulldogs 57; Drawn 6. It's been one-way traffic in recent times with the Bulldogs winning the past six meetings between the sides. That said, only one of those matches was a blowout, with two of the games going to golden point.

What are the odds: Manly 13+ is the way punters are going here which has come as a surprise to Sportsbet, who opened Canterbury as favourites. So far 65 per cent of the money invested in the head-to-head market has gone on the Sea Eagles to make it back-to-back wins. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match officials: Referee: Gavin Badger. Assistant referee: Jon Stone. Sideline officials: Tim Roby and Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski.

Televised: Fox Sports 2 – Live coverage from 4pm.

NRL.com predicts: Sydney's diabolical weather shows no signs of abating, and that means Lottoland is likely to resemble a bog come Saturday afternoon. The Bulldogs love a scrap and the heavy conditions will suit their big men. It should be a low-scoring affair with Canterbury getting home by 10 points.

http://www.nrl.com/sea-eagles-v-bulldogs-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/104908/default.aspx

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think it's a myth that wet games suit us.
I can't remember the last wet game we won. Usually all poor weather does is make our shitty handling, Shittier.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wet weather is a disadvantage to our big boys.
We are in for a tough afternoon - good test for our emerging season.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the size and power of our pack is a myth , never been the same since Ogre left
100% agree, well said: he was absolute intimidation and the pigs around him rose to it.
He was a clean player - never started a fight, but he sure finished a few.
'Mess with me, you get carried off' prop forward. Awesome.

Our team seems to be hard but a little sanitized. Taupau has more mongrel in him than a few of our guys.

Round Of A-Paws

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can't remember the last wet game we won. Usually all poor weather does is make our shitty handling, Shittier.
The Bulldogs have the best winning percentage in wet weather conditions. It definitely suits us. At least some of the lollipop kicks by Reynolds and Mbye will present some sort of danger albeit to an extreme bare degree.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Grub to niggle Marty, he will give away penalties, should be a mad game, hope all goes well for us on the other side.
Cowboys were down on grunt, we won't be.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
I think since it was such a long time since the boys celebrated a win , and Manly had a good win last week that they will be up for a big one , am just praying we can start playing for some repeat sets of six . Am I the only one not missing Hopoate ?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last time we lost to manly in 2014 it was at brookvale and the ground was like a mud pit and it worked against us big time.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If I was Des I would be directly challenging our forward pack. Maybe come up with some fake quote that Manly forwards called us soft or something. If we can smash them in the forwards I think we can win well. Imagine the confidence we could gain out of this game.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have the best winning percentage in wet weather conditions. It definitely suits us. At least some of the lollipop kicks by Reynolds and Mbye will present some sort of danger albeit to an extreme bare degree.
Is that a statistic ? Or your opinion ?
I don't think that's a statistic. Definitely not from the last 5 years.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Manly will be winning. They were outstanding last week and have key ins.
The Bulldogs struggled to beat a shit Warriors side. The eagles have never started a season with 3 successive home defeats.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Clash of the also rans. Neither side good enough to make the 8. Dogs tenacity lst week the difference between winning and losing. Manly defended much better than they have the first 2 rounds against a very tired lethargic Cowboys side. Id hope weve been freshened up a bit this week.
Abbey should be better and hopefully can take some bombs on the full. DCE a master at putting the ball in awkward places so Abbey will have to ensure hes not standing too deep.
Might have to go and have a look at this one.
Watch TT in broken play running the ball back. FFFS dogs kick early if necessary, dont pass to centres or 2nd rowers to kick on the last tackle and grubber to in goal on 4th or 5th rather than a Tolman hit up.
Playing for bragging rights. They still havent forgiven Hasler and ironic how now most Dogs supporters want him to go back to Manly.
Hasler wll ensure we are up for this.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My match preview: Barrett to get a coaching clinic by Hasler

• Gavin Badger is a huge worry for us, he will be the biggest threat on the Manly team.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Badger - will blow the pea out of it. He reffed our last game and hammered us until levelling it up at 7 a piece. WHY IS HE OUR REF 2 GAMES RUNNING??

Good test for our team. We SHOULD win if we are serious about competing in finals footy.

Myles is a penalty machine. Taupau and Lawrence not far behind.

Tommy Turbo is my only concern out there.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Badger - will blow the pea out of it. He reffed our last game and hammered us until levelling it up at 7 a piece. WHY IS HE OUR REF 2 GAMES RUNNING??

Good test for our team. We SHOULD win if we are serious about competing in finals footy.

Myles is a penalty machine. Taupau and Lawrence not far behind.

Tommy Turbo is my only concern out there.
Yeah wtf was with last week? There was a penalty every other set for the first 20 minutes it was fucked

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Myles and his ugly head had his 1 good game for the year last week. Big Marty will be up for a big one though.
I think the rain brings Tommy Turbo back to the field a bit (He also has doggy ankles).
RFM for MOTM if he gets enough game time.

Status
Not open for further replies.