• Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Science Stuff

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched, best future of the universe clip I have seen, thanks for the post

The big crunch collapsing universe resulting in another big bang where life could exist offers some people hope.

Multiple universes, also provides some people with hope.

At this stage I'm sticking with the ever expanding universe resulting in dark nothingness theory as I have for the last 35 years.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just watched, best future of the universe clip I have seen, thanks for the post

The big crunch collapsing universe resulting in another big bang where life could exist offers some people hope.

Multiple universes, also provides some people with hope.

At this stage I'm sticking with the ever expanding universe resulting in dark nothingness theory as I have for the last 35 years.

Agreed. There are very few physicists who support the big crunch theory now days. Based on the accelerated expansion and thermodynamics, there's just no logical reason to think that the Universe will begin retracting unless there is some rubber band matter that we haven't found yet.

More likely the Universe will keep spreading through dark energy expansion and fade through entropy until there's no energy or heat left in the Universe and nothing can exist any more.

There's an interesting thought experiment to explain part of the heat death of the Universe. It basically states that near the end of the Universe the entropy will be so great and we'll be so close to absolute zero that if any humans existing as brains floating in space, a single thought would produce so much heat that it would feel hotter than the sun in comparison to the Universe. Of course due to thermodynamics that single thought would destroy the brain as the last energy dissipates.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have always found Entropy to be a stange topic that's so simple yet so many physicists make it as confusing as possible while explaining it. I think this is the best and most simple explanation I have seen.