SBW & Toronto Wolfpack

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters-bound?

Futures of Sonny Bill Williams and host of Toronto Wolfpack stars in doubt as club quit Super League
SUPER LEAGUE

• July 21, 2020 1:04pm
  • GEORGE CLARKE
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Sonny Bill WilliamsSource: Getty Images
The future of Sonny Bill Williams and a host of former NRL players are in jeopardy after their club, the Toronto Wolfpack, withdrew from the Super League.

The Super League season is set to resume on August 2 but it has now been plunged into uncertainty by the Wolfpack’s decision to pull out of the competition.

It is understood that captain Josh McCrone is likely to return to Australia in the coming days, while fellow Antipodeans Chase Stanley, Ricky Leutele, Darcy Lussick, Bodene Thompson and Williams, who signed a multimillion-dollar deal with the club last year, are yet to make calls on their future.

They will now all likely come back to Australia and would be able to sign for clubs with available spots if they agree to terms before the NRL’s August 3 deadline. Toronto management have told foxsports.com.au that players are free to speak to rivals.

As it stands only a handful of NRL sides have open spots, although that could change if they release a player to make way for one of the returning Wolfpack players. Undoubtedly there will be interest in Williams, Leutele and there’s a strong chance Lussick will provide reliable back-up to sides with depleted forward packs.

Having stayed in the UK during the COVID-19 shutdown of the game, it is understood that the Australian and New Zealand players were in danger of overstaying their visas which allow them to visit the UK for up to six months per year.

The RFL has faced similar problems in 1997 with Paris Saint Germain and in 2009 with the Celtic Crusaders when players including Josh Hannay were deported due to incorrect visas.

Including their Australasian contingent, Toronto’s squad is down to just 22 players and they have no reserves or juniors. They won’t play at home this season and therefore lose out on revenues gained from home games.

Ricky Leutele of Toronto Wolfpack looks onSource: Getty Images
Argyle says they will walk, but the move puts the game’s TV deal with British broadcaster Sky Sports in doubt. Either it is a stunning act of brinkmanship to get the three things they want – a resolution to visa situation, a slice of the broadcasting revenues from Sky Sports and membership of the RFL – or the likely beginning of the end.

He also admitted concerns about playing twice in a week to make up obligations to broadcasters.

“The resumption to the season is fraught on a level of player welfare,” Argyle told foxsports.com.au.

“One strand of that is the COVID-19 and the fact that Super League players will have to play a game close to every four days to make up the schedule.

“There are also fundamental issues with our agreement with Super League as we are not members and do not receive central distributions from TV disbursement.

Toronto Wolfpack's Sonny Bill Williams and Blake Wallace look onSource: AFP
“We have visa issues which have not been addressed since we entered into the league, and that is nobody’s fault. However, that process has been further complicated by COVID-19.

“There is also a huge hole in our funding due to not being able to play home games in Canada.

Argyle says he wants to go away and plan to restart in Super League for 2021. He conceded that some players, many of whom have yet to be paid June’s wages would be paid in full.

“In regards to outstanding player wages, I have signed a personal guarantee that wages will be paid. I am required to pay under personal guarantees. Will I fulfil those obligations? Absolutely. Our intention is to play in 2021.

“We knew there would be headwinds, and we have made great inroads to develop the game in North America and develop a loyal fanbase in Canada, many of whom were not aware of the sport four years ago. However, the current predicament makes it incredibly difficult to commit to playing in Super League in 2021.”

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chase Stanley anyone?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could picture the Rooster picking up SBW to bolster the club so they can jag a three peat.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Warriors want to sign SBW lol.!!!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Nick Politis just got a hard on.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We all joke about it, but from AAP this morning:

Sydney Roosters in pole position as Sonny Bill Williams talks of 'real appeal' of NRL return
  • Premiership winner says Roosters have first option
  • Williams would need to be registered by 2 August

Australian Associated Press

Sonny Bill Williams won a premiership with the Sydney Roosters in 2103 and played his last NRL game in 2014. Photograph: Matt King/Getty Images
The chances of Sonny Bill Williams returning to the Sydney Roosters have firmed with the dual code star confirming the idea of playing in the NRL “appeals” to him.

Williams’ future remains up in the air after Toronto Wolfpack pulled out of this year’s Super League, freeing up several former NRL players, and the Roosters remain the frontrunners for Williams if he opts to return to the southern hemisphere.

Chairman Nick Politis met with Williams’ manager Khoder Nasser on Wednesday, and while the meeting was pre-arranged there is no doubt Williams would have been discussed.

Williams won a premiership with the club in 2013, and has told Nine News he would not come back to the competition without first consulting Politis.

“The idea of playing in the NRL has real appeal to me,” Williams told Nine. “I wouldn’t go down that road without speaking to Nick Politis first.”

If Williams was to return, he would need to be registered before the 2 August deadline and spend two weeks in quarantine on arrival in Australia from England. He would also need clearance from the Australian government, given the closed borders and the fact he is not an Australian citizen.

The Roosters however would be a perfect fit. The club are short on backrowers, with lock Victor Radley and bench utility Sam Verrills both out for the season with knee injuries.

Williams is now 34 and was by no means as destructive for Toronto in the opening rounds of this year as he was when he last played in the NRL in 2014.

But at the very least he would a sound option off the bench for the Tricolours in the run into the finals as they attempt to defend their back-to-back titles.

For the deal to happen, it’s believed at least one of the club’s reserves could be moved on early if a rival club was interested in purchasing them.

There is believed to be some room in their cap, given they lost both Cooper Cronk and Latrell Mitchell at the end of last year.

Mitchell Aubusson, one of Williams’ remaining teammates from 2013 grand final, backed the move on Wednesday.

“The way he prepares is like something I have never seen. He could probably play until he’s 40,” Mitchell Aubusson said. “We still use today some of the stuff that he brought in. His preparation, his diet – all the things that we take for granted [now] are what he picked up and took to a new level.”

Meanwhile, the Warriors remain the other likely option, after the Dragons joined a number of other clubs in confirming they were not in the market for the All Black.

“I would take Sonny if he was going to add value to our group, no doubt,” Warriors coach Todd Payten said. “But he is still overseas, he has got to come back, quarantine, train for a couple of weeks.

“You would essentially only get four or five games out of him. I am open to it but I don’t know if he or his management are open to it.”

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can we pick a youngster up from the roosters to accomodate SBW to the roosters?

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s such a muppet . This **** only cares about money and nothing else . If he was a Real man he would help out the warriors or the dogs . Not that I really care anyway .