SBS to finally air its $1.5 million documentary series on crime in Sydney, Once Upon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

SMichael Lahoud is the face of the SBS documentary series ‘Once Upon a Time in Punchbowl’. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

SBS is set to finally show what could be their most expensive documentary series ever.

Once Upon A Time In Punchbowl will go to air on June 19 at a *rumoured cost of about $1.5 million to the taxpayer-funded broadcaster, which was forced to shelve it in *December after The Daily Telegraph revealed one of its subjects had fudged his life story.

It then emerged that the tattoo-heavy “ex-con” Michael Lahoud, who had emerged as the face of the series, had never actually spent more than a few days in a NSW Correctional Facility despite claiming he served several years in Silverwater, Long Bay and Goulburn jails.

The embarrassing oversight, which somehow slipped through the SBS research department, sent production into a tail spin and saw SBS scrap hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of print, online and outdoor marketing.
It also added to what one production insider claims was an existing budget blowout of $300,000, even before the series was heavily re-edited while background checks were conducted on the show’s subjects.

It’s understood the overall project, produced by Northern Pictures and overseen by SBS’s Executive Producer (Factual) John Godfrey, finally reached its current broadcast state at a cost of $1.5 million, divided up between SBS, Screen Australia and Northern *Pictures.

One interviewee, Australian Arabic Council founder Joseph Wakim, said something was “amiss” as far back as 2012.

But an SBS spokesman claimed the cost of the debacle to the broadcaster was a paltry $60,000.

'I LOVE SBS BUT...'
Joseph Wakim is author of ‘Sorry we have no space’, and appears in the forthcoming series. He says....

With ‘Seven billion stories and counting,’ why would SBS commission a story that has been done to death?

After the success of the acclaimed ‘Once upon a time in Cabramatta’ series in 2012, the Punchbowl sequel assumes that the same success formula will work again. But those pleading to tell the truly untold stories warned against this flawed foundation.

A fortnight before the Punchbowl series was scheduled to be aired on 7 January, this newspaper exposed what the researchers failed to verify: their tattooed poster-boy Michael Lahoud had exaggerated his exploits, leading to a frenzied re-edit for the 18 June airing.

The template worked when the majority of Vietnamese Australians migrated to one place at one time. It had a definable beginning and end, with the Cabramatta series filmed long after the dust had settled, ten years after the turbulent 1990’s. Their story could have ended with ‘and they lived happily ever after.’

But this template could not be pasted onto Punchbowl, where the local Lebanese elders continue to grapple with raw realities. Lebanese have made Australia home for two centuries and the silent majority are fed up with those who define and criminalise them through the curved criminal lens of a ‘punchbowl.’

Like many advocates who were extensively filmed in 2012, I was promised that this was our chance to tell our story.

Almost everyone I spoke to in the crew had a British accent. Was this the BBC or my sacred SBS who ostensibly ‘celebrates diversity’? Was there not one local Lebanese talent in Australia deemed worthy? And why use a non-Lebanese academic to narrate our story when we have renowned sociologists and anthropologists?

Imagine a French TV crew visiting Bali to interview Australians about what it is in our culture that predisposes us to drug trafficking. Imagine broadcasting this like a lens to dissect a species.

It is both offensive and misleading for the series to be promoted as ‘the untold story of … the Lebanese community’. The series focuses on a small pocket of people from Southwest Sydney regarding high profile crimes in recent years.

In the heart of Punchbowl sits St Charbels Lebanese church which Tony Abbott traditionally attends every Good Friday. This booming metropolis is beaming with untold stories which I suspect will be overshadowed by the Lakemba mosque.

If SBS is sincere about unearthing untold stories rather than ascending the awards ladder, then it may need to look on the cutting room floor.

Michael Lahoud. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

Michael Lahoud with his family. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm over the glorification of criminals, bullshît. The media seem obsessed with it now-days.
I'm certain it's for the preservation of their own gutter occupation. "Hey, if we make criminals look cool, more kids will want to be criminals and we'll be forever employed"
Fûck that ! Criminals get shot, their family's get shot.
Look at your kids........now think about that. How much of a fûckwit do you have to be, to expose your family to that shît !?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
My mates dad works at long bay and he said all these stories are completely over the top and almost all bullshit.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That **** is so ugly to be honest...

A

Alexander the Great

SMichael Lahoud is the face of the SBS documentary series ‘Once Upon a Time in Punchbowl’. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

SBS is set to finally show what could be their most expensive documentary series ever.

Once Upon A Time In Punchbowl will go to air on June 19 at a *rumoured cost of about $1.5 million to the taxpayer-funded broadcaster, which was forced to shelve it in *December after The Daily Telegraph revealed one of its subjects had fudged his life story.

It then emerged that the tattoo-heavy “ex-con” Michael Lahoud, who had emerged as the face of the series, had never actually spent more than a few days in a NSW Correctional Facility despite claiming he served several years in Silverwater, Long Bay and Goulburn jails.

The embarrassing oversight, which somehow slipped through the SBS research department, sent production into a tail spin and saw SBS scrap hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of print, online and outdoor marketing.
It also added to what one production insider claims was an existing budget blowout of $300,000, even before the series was heavily re-edited while background checks were conducted on the show’s subjects.

It’s understood the overall project, produced by Northern Pictures and overseen by SBS’s Executive Producer (Factual) John Godfrey, finally reached its current broadcast state at a cost of $1.5 million, divided up between SBS, Screen Australia and Northern *Pictures.

One interviewee, Australian Arabic Council founder Joseph Wakim, said something was “amiss” as far back as 2012.

But an SBS spokesman claimed the cost of the debacle to the broadcaster was a paltry $60,000.

'I LOVE SBS BUT...'
Joseph Wakim is author of ‘Sorry we have no space’, and appears in the forthcoming series. He says....

With ‘Seven billion stories and counting,’ why would SBS commission a story that has been done to death?

After the success of the acclaimed ‘Once upon a time in Cabramatta’ series in 2012, the Punchbowl sequel assumes that the same success formula will work again. But those pleading to tell the truly untold stories warned against this flawed foundation.

A fortnight before the Punchbowl series was scheduled to be aired on 7 January, this newspaper exposed what the researchers failed to verify: their tattooed poster-boy Michael Lahoud had exaggerated his exploits, leading to a frenzied re-edit for the 18 June airing.

The template worked when the majority of Vietnamese Australians migrated to one place at one time. It had a definable beginning and end, with the Cabramatta series filmed long after the dust had settled, ten years after the turbulent 1990’s. Their story could have ended with ‘and they lived happily ever after.’

But this template could not be pasted onto Punchbowl, where the local Lebanese elders continue to grapple with raw realities. Lebanese have made Australia home for two centuries and the silent majority are fed up with those who define and criminalise them through the curved criminal lens of a ‘punchbowl.’

Like many advocates who were extensively filmed in 2012, I was promised that this was our chance to tell our story.

Almost everyone I spoke to in the crew had a British accent. Was this the BBC or my sacred SBS who ostensibly ‘celebrates diversity’? Was there not one local Lebanese talent in Australia deemed worthy? And why use a non-Lebanese academic to narrate our story when we have renowned sociologists and anthropologists?

Imagine a French TV crew visiting Bali to interview Australians about what it is in our culture that predisposes us to drug trafficking. Imagine broadcasting this like a lens to dissect a species.

It is both offensive and misleading for the series to be promoted as ‘the untold story of … the Lebanese community’. The series focuses on a small pocket of people from Southwest Sydney regarding high profile crimes in recent years.

In the heart of Punchbowl sits St Charbels Lebanese church which Tony Abbott traditionally attends every Good Friday. This booming metropolis is beaming with untold stories which I suspect will be overshadowed by the Lakemba mosque.

If SBS is sincere about unearthing untold stories rather than ascending the awards ladder, then it may need to look on the cutting room floor.

Michael Lahoud. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

Michael Lahoud with his family. Picture: Andrew Quilty Source: Supplied

Good to see his is all for his kids to pose like him...a halfwit dope.
People like this don't deserve to be in the custody of kids.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Does anyone know this bloke?

Looks like a dweeb with angry stickers tbh.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If this guy ever goes to Silverwater for real he will get f'ed up. What a douche.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So it is true, the more tough stickers you have, the more of a weak **** you are.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
i just got*Mara Salvatrucha 13 inked on my neck to be cool like this guy

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm over the glorification of criminals, bullshît. The media seem obsessed with it now-days.
I'm certain it's for the preservation of their own gutter occupation. "Hey, if we make criminals look cool, more kids will want to be criminals and we'll be forever employed"
Fûck that ! Criminals get shot, their family's get shot.
Look at your kids........now think about that. How much of a fûckwit do you have to be, to expose your family to that shît !?
Well said, lets watch our kids grow up to be big gangsta boys with no qualifications, that guy with shit all over his face was busted telling SBS a load of bullshit, he did stuff all jail, they should put him back in to live up to his delusions.

N

Natboy

My mates dad works at long bay and he said all these stories are completely over the top and almost all bullshit.
I also know a lot of screws and have heard how all of these "tough" wannabe gangsters including some of telopea st boys all suck each other off inside. Grubby pricks
Does anyone know this bloke?

Looks like a dweeb with angry stickers tbh.
He's a no one mate. Another one of those wankers that get charged with a common assault & possession of 5 grams of pot and think they are scarface lol

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Swear to god if I see this wanker on the streets I'll abuse the shit out of him, what a gronk this bloke is, a discrace to crims lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Surprised it took 14 mins to see the first Dogs jersey lol

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It wasn't that, it let me connect with my inner and past Lebos lol. The days of living in Bankstown, good times lol

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
can anyone in detail explain what they showed last night?
Just the cultural problems Lebanese people had in Punchbowl during the 80's and 90's, things like kids being born here being racially abused by anglo kids, kids not not knowing if they are Australian or Lebanese, language barriers, what kids got up to during the racial problems, the violence and gang shit.

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
he got edited out...because 99% of his story was bullshit...lol
wonder if the tats are even real...as if sum1 is stupid enough to have that many tats on their face

Status
Not open for further replies.