Samsung Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anybody know where I might be able to purchase the Samsung Notebooks, more specifically, the Series 9/ATIV Book 9?

Cannot find it stocked anywhere online (JB, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman etc) and none in stores as well.. I know JB use to stock Samsung laptops/notebooks but they've since disappeared

There's the one big Samsung store in Sydney, don't even know if they sell products there since it's just called a Samsung Experience Store but can't see any stock listed on their website, tried calling them to see if they do sell anything but nobody answered the phone (wankers)

Seen some online but they either don't ship to Australia or if they do, the taxes and shipping is ridiculous..

If anybody knows, preferably a store so I can check it out in person, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In all honesty, don't bother.

If it's anything like the other piece of shit laptops Samsung serve up (and I have quite an extensive experience with them), you'll get about 14 months out of the battery before it's stuffed, and then several months later the entire thing (normally screen or hard drive controller) will shit itself. Oh and don't even get me started on the bloatware.

That resolution will be a bit of a bitch if you are gaming too, as it's likely to be an unsupported resolution, ditto for watching HD movies (as it's not 4K, and not 1920x1080). Scaling will be out to the shithouse.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Ah right, thanks for that Mr I

Got in contact with Samsung and the representative I spoke to said they actually aren't available anywhere in Australia at the moment and upper management haven't given them any word on when they may be restocked.. if they are going to be restocked at all, heard Samsung might be focussing more on the tablet market right now

Now looking at ASUS notebooks, any insights or anything I should know Mr I?

Specifically looking at the ASUS Zenbook UX305, looks like it's a solid notebook and more or less within the same price range I was looking to pay for a Samsung

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Got in contact with Samsung and the representative I spoke to said they actually aren't available anywhere in Australia at the moment and upper management haven't given them any word on when they may be restocked.. if they are going to be restocked at all, heard Samsung might be focussing more on the tablet market right now

Specifically looking at the ASUS Zenbook UX305, looks like it's a solid notebook and more or less within the same price range I was looking to pay for a Samsung
HP all the way buddy,
I had a few Toshiba, all were rubbish,
Been very happy with HP,
Especially the professional models,

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

The two I use:
HP - Elitebooks / Pro Books (for our business).
ASUS

Not sure on the price you are looking to pay, but check out the HP Spectre XT 360 they are advertising on TV.

Notebookcheck.net is probably the best resource to get an idea of what you will get. Reviews are incredibly in depth, and precise (if not overly picky).

Had an old ASUS about 8-10 years ago. Still works a treat except its too slow for modern computing. That was before they went rather cheap with their consumer range.

What sort of budget/features are you after? I can probably give you a pretty good idea from that (as well as who is a good place to buy from).

Stinky Wizzleteats

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a laptop/notebook (is there a difference) too and I have no idea what to get. All I'll be doing on it would be internet, spreadsheets, word docs and music downloads. And a bit of work related stuff to do with Citrix.
Don't want to spend too much, but don't want to buy sh1t either.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I used a macbook air. They're overpriced but it's good not having to charge the thing constantly and it does everything I need it for. That said, as soon as I got it I installed Windows on it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
dogkat recently got herself one of the HP Probook 250 G1's from memory (they are a fairly entry level business laptop), on my recommendation.

Be interesting to see what she thinks of it a few months on.

I'm a big fan of the HP Probook's (or if you can afford it Elitebooks).

I personally use an HP Elitebook 9000 series (personal purchase but used for work), and we bought another 3 for work... REALLY nice laptops, and build quality is amazing on them. Not cheap though. I got mine at auction as an ex demo (never opened or turned on) for under $1k, but they retail for $2-2.5k).

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking this whole conversation sounded familiar.

Basically, as my home computer, I got the very simple:

HP 250 G3 i3-4005U 4GB 500GB 15.6"

The advice I was given by my brother in IT was: minimum processor Core i - something (eg i3 i5 etc), with 4GB memory.

This laptop is fine for my needs, but I've never had a laptop before to compare it to.

The only catch is the battery, which is a 3 cell which runs out verrrry quickly.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, went ahead and bought an ASUS Zenbook UX305 this afternoon

Pretty much suits my needs, not intending to game on it or anything

Saw a thread about Windows 10 somewhere in the lounge but I can't find it right now and I don't want to make another thread so, what's the verdict on a Windows 10, yay or nay? Think it's out on the 29th or something so should I reserve my free upgrade now?

p.s. don't know how to use Windows 8.1, give me back my f*cking start menu!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL .. since it's a new machine Windows 10 free upgrade might be worth looking into.

I've registered all my machines, but my gaming/main rig will not be upgrading for a while (until games are confirmed to work on W10).

All my Home Theatre PCs (there's 2) will be getting upgraded to Windows 10 though.

Win10 brings back a partial Start Menu.
Win8.1 takes a lot of getting used to (I still run Win7), but it makes a bit of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.