Opinion Sam Hughes

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Was impressive again today. Not sure if anything in this but when he came off late he was rubbing high up on his hamstring and giving it a bit of a stretch.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Weren’t people writing this guy off?

CC has done well with his mins to ease him in. Bends the line, looks really fit and we don’t lose much in defence when he’s on. Added bonus of being hard to stop near the line as well.

has all the makings of being a top prop

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

CC has done well with his mins to ease him in. Bends the line, looks really fit and we don’t lose much in defence when he’s on. Added bonus of being hard to stop near the line as well.

I wanted to see more from him, I think he delivered today

Reactions: 88

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

He had a tough 1st game against Eel and was getting mud minutes. I think since round 5 he's been contributing well.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's a plough...love him.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC has the forwards firing despite not having a rep grade front rower in the team kudos to him everyone me included thought it would be our Achilles heal our biggest issue is the 7 but you can see why he resists changing look at the knights as an example

He will cop some time for the trip it was blatant that way he gets demoted without any drop in confidence

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
CC has the forwards firing despite not having a rep grade front rower in the team kudos to him everyone me included thought it would be our Achilles heal our biggest issue is the 7 but you can see why he resists changing look at the knights as an example

He will cop some time for the trip it was blatant that way he gets demoted without any drop in confidence

Trips are just a fine these days.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Disclaimer- I haven't seen yesterday's game yet. So I'm basing this one previous games.

I think he'll be available for round 9. If Ciraldo sticks with him vs the Tigpies I'm sure it's because he's doing more to organise the team than many are seeing. But it's a shame he hasn't fired on the urgent plays. His biggest issues are the tendency to turn the ball back in on promising backline plays. And the other one is that we've had times in the opposition 10 when the game could be won and he does one out runs (he's not alone in that).

But the team hasn't finished improving yet IMO. Perhaps the last step will be picking a 7 that's cooler under pressure or more of a running threat. Perhaps Hutch will get it right with added confidence. It's up to Ciraldo and his selection process to choose whether to keep him or move Sexton or Taaffe to 7.

We've got a week off now. So I'm going to enjoy the win instead of worrying about two weeks time.

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hughes is in my top 3 players who’ve impressed the most this year. He has been aggressive asf, run outstanding short ball lines (and also picked up 2 tries) and overall he has come on in tough situations and we don’t have the biggest pack but he has borderline been carrying the tesm

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Can't understand why Hughes doesn't get more game time though. He's really fit they reckon so could definitely handle it and he's one of our few forwards who bend the line. As he's shown also a rare prop who can score tries

He was coming off of back surgery if I remember correctly? Basically the coaching staff have had him wrapped in cotton wool to start and ease him in. Just because he’s an incredible endurance athlete or strong in the gym won’t mean anything on the field if his head isn’t in the game getting used to the contact again.

He seems to be finding himself now which we desperately need.

My only concern with Hughes is that he needs to run like he does inside 20 going for try’s, in the backfield going for work. His carry’s are solid, but could offer some more or look for an offload. We know he has one.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is being eased in thus far but I think he is ready for bigger minutes. Given our real lack of size available. I would love to see Hughes used off the bench. Coming on around the 25min mark and then play out the last 55-60 minutes of the game. He is big, fit and to me looks like a real prospect.

With a few of the big boys looking good in NSW Cup. We might not be as far behind the eight ball as is generally thought. Todd & Hopoi in particular look like they are ready and can be in the mix come the Raiders in round 11. Add them to Hughes & King we are looking solid. With the 7 the only other sticking point to work out.

up_theDogs

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is being eased in thus far but I think he is ready for bigger minutes. Given our real lack of size available. I would love to see Hughes used off the bench. Coming on around the 25min mark and then play out the last 55-60 minutes of the game. He is big, fit and to me looks like a real prospect.

With a few of the big boys looking good in NSW Cup. We might not be as far behind the eight ball as is generally thought. Todd & Hopoi in particular look like they are ready and can be in the mix come the Raiders in round 11. Add them to Hughes & King we are looking solid. With the 7 the only other sticking point to work out.
Plus DSF and the forward rotation is looking really good