Opinion Sam Hughes

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive watched all the podcasts in the off season, ones with curran, burto, kiraz, preston and Edwards, all raving about Sam Hughes, is this guy gonna be our next big thing? Didnt impress me that much last year, but apparently had an injury.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive watched all the podcasts in the off season, ones with curran, burto, kiraz, preston and Edwards, all raving about Sam Hughes, is this guy gonna be our next big thing? Didnt impress me that much last year, but apparently had an injury.
I certainly hope so. But I don't want to drop a crap load of expectations on him and I hope that the rest of the fans don't either. There's been about 50 next big things that fizzled out or only reached the lofty heights of adequacy. So while I hope that we have a Hughes killing it again in our colours (even if he's not related to the former Hughes family that excelled at our club). I'll keep an open mind and judge his performance rather than get on the latest hype train.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He doesn't need to be the next best thing. He only needs to do a job so we at least have a starting prop pairing that isn't going to let the team down (anything else is a bonus). The next best thing (prop) in the NRL is Terrell May and that's who we need to sign for 2025.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He had had back surgery last off season, so didn't have a pre season. He went well in his limited opportunities

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Have not seen enough of him, lot of players including Gus have been impressed with his pre season efforts.Look forward in hope of a big season from Hughesy

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What exactly didn’t impress you with him last year? Every opportunity he was given last year he was impressive and showed a lot of promise. In what was otherwise a powderpuff pack.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I rated him everytime he played last season. Was annoyed when he didn't get a run or was dropped. Hope Gus is right and he has a big season.
Ciraldo reminds me of a good horse trainer with a new batch of yearlngs. Some perform as 2 year olds and some need more time to learn and develop but eventually they get a solid stable, or kennel in this case. Bottom line is patience something many of us are running low on and probably for good reason.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I listened to all the other podcasts, but I didn't catch the Edwards one. Can you please tell me where to find that one?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ciraldo reminds me of a good horse trainer with a new batch of yearlngs. Some perform as 2 year olds and some need more time to learn and develop but eventually they get a solid stable, or kennel in this case. Bottom line is patience something many of us are running low on and probably for good reason.
We need Gai at the moment, need the 2 year olds firing

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sam has some promise and by the reports of his team mates he is putting in the work and they have confidence in him getting the job done. I’d imagine he feels pretty good about that and should be ready to rip in and benefit from all the hard work.

4Runner

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need Gai at the moment, need the 2 year olds firing
hahaha yeah but sometimes, probably more often not good 2yo's dont do much after that which I think is part of the current process. I cant believe that post about our player turn over...full on muck and sanitise the stable and then some. I noticed 'they' (cue close encounters music) wrote an article about it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curran referred to him as the "Terminator". Hope he's put on a bit of muscle. He has some size at 193cms and 111-113kgs but skinny arms. Really hoping he can step up this year. He needs to be able to match it with big opposing Polynesian middles. Wish we kept Pele who offered impact off the bench.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
hahaha yeah but sometimes, probably more often not good 2yo's dont do much after that which I think is part of the current process. I cant believe that post about our player turn over...full on muck and sanitise the stable and then some. I noticed 'they' (cue close encounters music) wrote an article about it.
We had to have turn over, it is a business based on results and if you do the same thing you get the same results
They weren’t reaching their KPI’s so they had to go.
We now have a mixture of hard heads and young guys, exciting times ahead

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I certainly hope so. But I don't want to drop a crap load of expectations on him and I hope that the rest of the fans don't either. There's been about 50 next big things that fizzled out or only reached the lofty heights of adequacy. So while I hope that we have a Hughes killing it again in our colours (even if he's not related to the former Hughes family that excelled at our club). I'll keep an open mind and judge his performance rather than get on the latest hype train.
Now with the extra attention Hughes is getting, he needs to learn how to cope specially on field.