Salary Cap Situation 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been posted/discussed.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...million-per-year/story-fn2mcuj6-1226527227728

What are your thoughts?

Should the NRL increase the salary cap immediately by $X amount or increase it gradually every year?

I think the latter as it doesn't give clubs such as Manly and Eels an advantage over other clubs. Why is it every other clubs concern that Manly need it increased to keep Brett Stewart/Brent Kite? or the Eels for that matter with Israel?

As quoted below:

"ARLC acting chief executive Shane Mattiske said Thursday that a $5 million cap was set back in March so clubs could plan their rosters for 2013."

This means, every club should have accepted the fact that 2013 was going to see an increase to 5 Million and to plan accordingly - not "it's going to get increased even more with the next broadcasting deal".

Since then, Manly have signed Kieran Foran/Cherry and are demanding an increase to keep Stewart/Kite.... I'm sorry but this just annoys me because isn't that the point of the salary cap?

What would you like to see happen to clubs that are breaching the Salary cap going into the 2013 Season?

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
yes i think that is a good idea

richie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
you would think the nrl would have this sorted out well before that date as how do clubs know what to spend and plan ahead?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
we should only be discussing the 2014 cap by this time

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
you would think the nrl would have this sorted out well before that date as how do clubs know what to spend and plan ahead?
They are too busy penalising the Dogs, and banning the shoulder charge to get the basics done for next season.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't change the salary cap this late (for the upcoming season). It's totally unfair to the clubs which have planned for the $5M cap they were advised they would have to budget for.

These stupid clubs which have resigned people on the assumption the cap will be raised should not be rewarded. I would feel the same even if we were effected.

bmw_s2000

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
blaming anyone but the NRL is ridicules. Honestly, how stupid is the governing bodys ? They cant even resolve such a simple issue such as the Salary cap ? Banning the shoulder charge reinforces where we are heading.

We need to start a revolution !

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
How is this the NRL's fault? The NRL told the clubs an amount (a very long time ago) and some clubs chose to assume that it might go up higher if the $1B deal went through.

It is this assumption that is causing the problems, the NRL never said it would rise higher than the $5M amount quoted before the deal went through. They did this specifically so that clubs knew the cap amount well in advance and could plan for it.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
The thing is they should make changes to the salary cap and make it more flexible.

Some of the things shouldnt be added on top of the salary cap like tickets for family, gifts from sponsors, club's merchandise and 3rd party sponsorships.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is they should make changes to the salary cap and make it more flexible.

Some of the things shouldnt be added on top of the salary cap like tickets for family, gifts from sponsors, club's merchandise and 3rd party sponsorships.
So you like the fact that a player can be signed with the club for 50K yet earn a million through 3rd party and this not be included in the cap? (cough lockyer)

I mean it sounds awesome as we'd clean up in that department.. but lower teams like the eels/manly etc would crumble.. oh wait a sec...... that's awesome!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
So you like the fact that a player can be signed with the club for 50K yet earn a million through 3rd party and this not be included in the cap? (cough lockyer)

I mean it sounds awesome as we'd clean up in that department.. but lower teams like the eels/manly etc would crumble.. oh wait a sec...... that's awesome!
either that or have a marquee system (alas A-League) where the clubs can pay whatever they like to their star players.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Personally

I always thought the cap should be reduced, and only count for players you purchase from rival clubs.

IE - it would promote junior development. That being said - we would of won it 10 years in a row with the likes of Thurstan, Asotasi, SBW, Price, Mason, Sherwin etc etc.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally

I always thought the cap should be reduced, and only count for players you purchase from rival clubs.

IE - it would promote junior development. That being said - we would of won it 10 years in a row with the likes of Thurstan, Asotasi, SBW, Price, Mason, Sherwin etc etc.

See ya later Melbourne Storm :P

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
See ya later Melbourne Storm :P
The term "junior development" can be looked at many different ways.

Many believe it relates to players who come up from that region (In which case, we really only have Corey Payne). I personally believe that if they came up through HM, SG - NYC etc, then they can fall under your development scheme. I classify Barba as one of our juniors. He played half a year of Flegg, and 2 years of NYC, as well as a full year of NSW cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.