Salary cap scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Seriously do you really have so little knowledge about how the world works to ask a question like this? It's the police who gather information and it is for prosecutorial purposes not so some little company can satisfy itself that all of its employees are doing the right thing. The NRL is not even a flea on a dogs backside compared to the rest of the world - its just a sport. Police are concerned with criminal acts not breaches of the corporation regulations.
Ummm... did you miss the part where @Mr Invisible said "if this is legit"???

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to have a salary cap or you will only end up with the Broncos & Roosters winning each year. Do you want that? There is another way, & that it to have a points system as well. Value each player on rep games & how many first grade games played, Dally M award winners etc. I submitted an example of one to David Gallop several years ago & he didn't even reply. He didn't reply to the other email I sent to him about a referee putting a bet on the game he was going to officiate in the next day either. So what do you expect?
I've also suggested a points system. I know it's potentially subjective but better than our current system. You should have gone to the media if Gallop didn't reply.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Before the cap is removed, the NRL would need to be restructured to make the playing filed more "level" to begin with. Thus would mean, at least, fewer teams in Sydney and a couple extra in Brisbane.

Whilst I don't believe in a salary cap, without it, as it stands the Broncos would have a ridiculous unfair advantage. You only have to see the exposure players have here now with an alleged cap in place to see that. 3 more clubs in SEQ would level that out.

Back to Manly, I saw this statement on a friend's FB page today. Not sure if its the same as the earlier mentioned. Sorry if it is:

Here is a Statement from the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles

The Club doesn't answer or respond to unsubstantiated rumours but is fiercely protective of its reputation in the sporting and business world.

There are in fact no allegations that the Club has been the subject of in relation to any components of the NRL Salary Cap or lower tier cap compliance.

Quite the contrary we recently had our 2017 mid-year Salary Cap audit completed by the NRL in record time and without adjustment.

The Club remains the benchmark in relation to both Salary Cap & Playing Roster Management at all levels across the NRL, something we remain immensely proud of. This leading compliance position has been confirmed by the NRL over the past 3 years being the tenure of the current salary cap management team of the Club.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The NRL will never restructure itself to include fewer Sydney teams and more QLD teams. It doesn't work that way. It will ruin the game altogether. It's like starting fresh. I can tell you now if they just have 4 or 5 Sydney teams (North, South, Easy, West, Central) I will cease following the game altogether.

You need to keep in mind, this game was established with 8 teams - 7 in Sydney as well as Newcastle 1908 (not the modern day Knights). This was the NSWRL competition. QLD had their own comp. The NSWRL comp was more rich and lucrative - that is why it grew whereas the QLD comp didn't - and that's where State of Origin was born. Restructuring the comp will kill it, not improve it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That is one of the issues with the NRL today - its not a national competition, its more a Sydney one with other teams gradually bolted on.

Not necessarily saying its good or bad, but if it wants to be a truly national competition, 9 teams in Sydney is not going to be the way to go. Like i said, in Brisbane, the current advantage the Broncos have over the 9 Sydney teams is just not viable longer term.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a revolution though, like the original Super League proposals (where a bunch of clubs merged to form new ones), but clubs like the Tigers and Dragons, in my view, are holding the game back. This would only benefit the Dogs.

Dogs1938

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think des is a little upset about this one

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least from a Foran point of view that article seems to indicate there won't be anything coming out of the match fixing allegations.

Only have his mental and physical health to sort out now!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The Club remains the benchmark in relation to both Salary Cap & Playing Roster Management at all levels across the NRL, something we remain immensely proud of. This leading compliance position has been confirmed by the NRL over the past 3 years being the tenure of the current salary cap management team of the Club.
Easier to comply with the cap when you can get a club legend/ SOO selector to offer players guaranteed origin jerseys if they sign on for your club.

What a smug, self satisfied club.

The salary cap is a bit silly because the rich clubs just find creative ways to cheat it anyway. Most teams show more creativity in their accounting departments than they do on field these days. As long as some clubs and officials from certain clubs have too much power and influence over the game, they will continue to enjoy an unfair advantage on the player market.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
maybe Foran is involved and he will never make it to Belmore after all

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alleged Spot betting would explain a lot this year...or even the last few years

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
maybe Foran is involved and he will never make it to Belmore after all
Go directly to jail, do not pass Belmore.

He could apply for day or some night release.

:tonguewink:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ummm... did you miss the part where @Mr Invisible said "if this is legit"???
That is irrelevant. His position is that the NRL subpoenas the police to get information - in a democratic society that can't happen, particularly if he had bothered to read the bit where the information the police obtained was by coercive means which invalidates it as being useful for evidentiary purposes. Even ignoring all of that, which is a lot, can you imagine a country where a private company can go to the authorities to get incriminating evidence or worse still intelligence so they can sack them? So legit or not, the very idea that it could be considered as an option is just to the right of fascism.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guarantee if the Doggies were over the salary cap it would have been front page news and at the start of every news program but it's not the Dog's so you barely knew about it.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
As expected, Ch 9 are reporting that Kieran Foran has been dragged into the Manly cap drama.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id guess that foran will be somehow implicated in the spot fixing and or disclosing inside info for betting given that the original investigation was about him, his brother and his mate hayson. This is what some of us were worried about when we signed him.. wont be going away anytime soon id suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.