News Salary Cap BS

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have lodged an appeal after the NRLincluded a chunk of Josh Jackson's wage in the club's salary cap, Canterbury boss Phil Gould has revealed.

Nine's Danny Weidler reported on 100% Footy on Monday night that the NRL had inserted a portion of Jackson's pay into the Dogs' salary cap despite the fact he has retired from his playing career.

Jackson remains at the Dogs as a strength-and-conditioning coach, a role he set himself up for by studying a bachelor's degree in exercise science during his playing career.

"I believe that the NRL has put a few hundred thousand, maybe $200,000, of Josh Jackson's wage into the Bulldogs' salary cap," Weidler said on 100% Footy.

"I'm sure that the top dog (Gould) will not want to talk about salary caps and what's going on behind the scenes, but I believe that's to be the case."

When 100% Footy co-panellist Gould was invited to reply, Canterbury's general manager of football was blunt.

"It's a stupid rule, we've appealed it and they haven't responded, as well," Gould said.

"We'll leave it there."

When pressed again, Gould said the NRL had made a host of "ridiculous" competition-wide decisions.

Jackson stunned the rugby league world when he announced his retirement at the age of 31 in October last year.

The former Blues State of Origin forward had a year to run on his Dogs contract, having signed a three-year extension after the 2019 season.

He played every one of his 241 NRL games with the Dogs in a career that spanned 2012 to 2022.

He was a member of Canterbury's 2012 and 2014 grand final teams and replaced James Graham as captain ahead of the 2018 season.

Jackson played nine State of Origin games and made two Test appearances for Australia.

What an absolute fucking joke that is.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have lodged an appeal after the NRLincluded a chunk of Josh Jackson's wage in the club's salary cap, Canterbury boss Phil Gould has revealed.

Nine's Danny Weidler reported on 100% Footy on Monday night that the NRL had inserted a portion of Jackson's pay into the Dogs' salary cap despite the fact he has retired from his playing career.

Jackson remains at the Dogs as a strength-and-conditioning coach, a role he set himself up for by studying a bachelor's degree in exercise science during his playing career.

"I believe that the NRL has put a few hundred thousand, maybe $200,000, of Josh Jackson's wage into the Bulldogs' salary cap," Weidler said on 100% Footy.

"I'm sure that the top dog (Gould) will not want to talk about salary caps and what's going on behind the scenes, but I believe that's to be the case."

When 100% Footy co-panellist Gould was invited to reply, Canterbury's general manager of football was blunt.

"It's a stupid rule, we've appealed it and they haven't responded, as well," Gould said.

"We'll leave it there."

When pressed again, Gould said the NRL had made a host of "ridiculous" competition-wide decisions.

Jackson stunned the rugby league world when he announced his retirement at the age of 31 in October last year.

The former Blues State of Origin forward had a year to run on his Dogs contract, having signed a three-year extension after the 2019 season.

He played every one of his 241 NRL games with the Dogs in a career that spanned 2012 to 2022.

He was a member of Canterbury's 2012 and 2014 grand final teams and replaced James Graham as captain ahead of the 2018 season.

Jackson played nine State of Origin games and made two Test appearances for Australia.

What an absolute fucking joke that is.
Yes I just watched this. What a load of f..king shit. If he's not f..king playing how can he still be included in our cap for even $1. Would this happen to the Roosters. No f..king way in the world

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry at @cookieman909 we posted at the same time …

What shits me about this is they’re reporting that Sualii has knocked back a huge 3 year deal at South’s an average of close to $1 mill per year to stay at Roosters for a reported $700k for 2024 …. And it’s crickets, no one bats an eyelid …

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly though rare W for danny weidler. I feel he done Gus a favour here by bring it up and putting the spotlight on the nrl particularly how he mentioned that if Jackson was a sharks or other clubs trainer,he wouldn’t be on the playing teams cap. Seems like Gus is feeding him info and putting the pressure on the nrl especially since we haven’t had a reply to the appeal.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Honestly though rare W for danny weidler. I feel he done Gus a favour here by bring it up and putting the spotlight on the nrl particularly how he mentioned that if Jackson was a sharks or other clubs trainer,he wouldn’t be on the playing teams cap. Seems like Gus is feeding him info and putting the pressure on the nrl especially since we haven’t had a reply to the appeal.
Hopefully Gus has a forward lined up for some of that Jackson coin with immediate effect. Though he did say in a reply on twitter that we have no spaces available in the Top 30 so fuck knows if there is any wiggle room there or of it is even true.

So confused as to how such an astute operator and indeed the whole board had us going into the season so thin on front row stocks. Even with Thompson and TPJ they both historically spend large amounts of time on the sideline and are not reliable metre eaters.

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Based upon the weekend's game, I think it was actually value for money ....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely fucking disgraceful that the NRL allowed and signed off on the back ended deals that put us in a cap mess in the first place.

We could have cheated and cop the weak punishments those ***** were handing out at the time to clubs like Eels and Sharks. But no we didn't bring the game into disrepute, we released and paid for all our good players to go elsewhere. While one of our better players in Jackson stayed loyal and wasted the twilight of his career with us.

Now he's retired the NRL throw this shit on us the putrid *****. Danny Weidler said it best, he's studied to fulfil this role, would he be included in the cap if he had a job at another club like the Sharks...

Roosters can play silly buggers with Matt Lodge on train and trial... Fuck these ***** right over and bring Jacko back to play for 200k and pay him off more on the side is his club role later.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely fucking disgraceful that the NRL allowed and signed off on the back ended deals that put us in a cap mess in the first place.

We could have cheated and cop the weak punishments those ***** were handing out at the time to clubs like Eels and Sharks. But no we didn't bring the game into disrepute, we released and paid for all our good players to go elsewhere. While one of our better players in Jackson stayed loyal and wasted the twilight of his career with us.

Now he's retired the NRL throw this shit on us the putrid *****. Danny Weidler said it best, he's studied to fulfil this role, would he be included in the cap if he had a job at another club like the Sharks...

Roosters can play silly buggers with Matt Lodge on train and trial... Fuck these ***** right over and bring Jacko back to play for 200k and pay him off more on the side is his club role later.
Yh those fucks should've flagged the back ended deals straight away... they wanted us in the ground instead of helping us

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
National Rorting League says it all!!! The ultimate BOYS CLUB...where Chinese whispers and back door dealings are held in dark corners and corruption is enbraced for bigger profits and love for the almighty dollar. If it wasn't for the Bulldogs and my love for the club, I would be an AFL supporter. Pricks like Andrew Abdo, Peter V'landys and co should stop having outercourse with each and realize that without the Dogs there is no NRL for die hard fans such as myself that follow this great club.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As expected from this shitty backyard league run by a corrupt fat slob of a **** and his band of dumb fucks.

I really can't wait till the nrLOL folds and superleague 2.0 happens.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Inaction Jackson
Josh Jackson has not uttered a word since his surprise retirement last year, but today we can give some insight into why he suddenly quit the game in October.

Jackson is working with the Bulldogs’ high-performance unit, and we revealed that the NRL is adding about $200,000 a year to the club’s salary cap for Jackson. It seems an odd move by the game’s bosses.

Jackson studied for a degree during his playing days in order to have a career post-football, but the NRL clearly does not believe he quit the game of his own volition. Why else would his salary as a non-player be included under the salary cap?

Jackson’s manager, Adam Purcell, addressed the issue to try and put an end to suggestions his client was forced into retirement to help take some pressure off the club’s salary cap.

“I want to put that to bed once and for all,” Purcell said. “I don’t think Josh did anything throughout his whole career where anyone could question his authenticity and credibility, so to say that he was forced into retirement is completely wrong, and unfair on him and the Bulldogs.

Josh Jackson is working with the Bulldogs’ high-performance unit after retiring as a player last October.
Josh Jackson is working with the Bulldogs’ high-performance unit after retiring as a player last October.CREDIT:GETTY

“The truth is he never wanted to be that guy who couldn’t keep up and be a burden on his team in any way. He knew that he couldn’t reach the standards and the levels that he set for himself ... the levels of excellence physically.

“The Bulldogs, when they heard he wanted to end his career, well they asked him to stick around and keep training in case he changed his mind. Josh could’ve pocketed another $120,000 or so by training through the off-season. Instead, he just walked away and wanted to pursue his new career.

“He’s a no-fuss sort of guy and it was obvious that the Dogs wanted him to hang around because they really lack experience at the club. He is also a great player for them and they need that kind of player at the club, but he knew he couldn’t go on and he’s a selfless guy and he never wanted to do anything which would have a negative impact on the club.”

From SMH.com.au weidler today

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That is pretty unfair on our club and Jackson...

Firstly as stated many times, he actually studied and is qualified for this type of job.. The NRL make it like he was given a jobs for the boys type role which to me discredits all his studies and qualifications.

Secondly, why is our club being punished for hiring an ex player who actually holds qualifications for a job he could purse at any other club/sport after retiring from playing?

The NRL are punishing us for having a player who retired from his own choice and got a job based on his knowledge and qualifications, clubs will now just push away these type of future qualified employees who have experience and feel for the industry which is whats needed lol

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is pretty unfair on our club and Jackson...

Firstly as stated many times, he actually studied and is qualified for this type of job.. The NRL make it like he was given a jobs for the boys type role which to me discredits all his studies and qualifications.

Secondly, why is our club being punished for hiring an ex player who actually holds qualifications for a job he could purse at any other club/sport after retiring from playing?

The NRL are punishing us for having a player who retired from his own choice and got a job based on his knowledge and qualifications, clubs will now just push away these type of future qualified employees who have experience and feel for the industry which is whats needed lol
It’s a fkn typical NRL response to the Bulldogs. Different club would of got a different result