• Replace Tbaz with another coach at the end of the season

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • Replace Tbaz with Flanagan at the end of the season

Votes: 14 7.3%

• Total voters

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a quality squad with a rookie coach. This is the problem.
You and I have different interpretations of quality. Apart from Burton, JAC and maybe TPJ on the bench who makes the Penrith side from our side…

Reactions: ATT

Bacon_Muffin

Waterboy
Reaction score
Burton and Addo Carr are/were probably two of the most sought after players in the league…

Add Pangai Jr, Dufty and Vaughan - three high-quality first graders.

Players like Naden and Burns are also good prospects and solid additions to the squad.

I agree this squad is vastly different.

They need time together to improve.

But the question remains - Is Barrett the right person for this job?

I think Barrett is probably a great assistant coach but the step up to head coach is beyond his ability.

This we need time for the for the players to gel I don't get. The quality of these players can get together for a week at origin level and click and preform to win games. Barrett does the opposite and gets these players going backwards at a great rate of knots.

I don't know what the answer is or who we bring in to be head coach as there isn't many around. We need to act quick though because the Tigers & Dragons will also be looking at replacing their coach, if we wait to long there will be no-one worth signing.

astro_boy77

Waterboy
Reaction score
stop making excuses for barrett, his coaching record proves he cant coach, this season with this roster and nothing has changed
Do you expect us to be beating top 4 sides this year?

There was nothing in the Brisbane or Manly game.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We'll be lucky to win 3 of those games.
Really? Broncs may not be easy granted, Raiders aren't great their definitely beatable..and I added the Knights in another post..we can beat them all just need to eradicate huge numbers of mistakes halve these yesty and we finish closer with more ball/less D etc ..you have become very defeatist Bradley lol

PS..i also think we can and probably will do the Rabbits this Friday..

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First it was don't judge him til 2022. Now it's not til 2023... We have a much improved squad compared to last year yet the results, performances and tactics aren't any different. People need to stop making excuses. Baz needs to be held accountable just like anyone else. He has almost a 20% win percentage a a coach across four plus seasons with us and Manly so it's hardly a small sample size.
Well said!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? Broncs may not be easy granted, Raiders aren't great their definitely beatable..and I added the Knights in another post..we can beat them all just need to eradicate huge numbers of mistakes halve these yesty and we finish closer with more ball/less D etc ..you have become very defeatist Bradley lol

PS..i also think we can and probably will do the Rabbits this Friday..
Actually feel the Raiders are the most likely anyway they are quite rubbish too but watch Whighton turn up for his one game this year. Can’t see us getting near Newcastle or Souths however I rate our roster more going forward than both.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think Barrett is probably a great assistant coach but the step up to head coach is beyond his ability.

This we need time for the for the players to gel I don't get. The quality of these players can get together for a week at origin level and click and preform to win games. Barrett does the opposite and gets these players going backwards at a great rate of knots.

I don't know what the answer is or who we bring in to be head coach as there isn't many around. We need to act quick though because the Tigers & Dragons will also be looking at replacing their coach, if we wait to long there will be no-one worth signing.
With all the attention befalling Hook now and news Dragons ONLY have to pay him out $495k, their recruitment guy will come into calculations to replace him :grinning:

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hard to call anything in the middle of a 4 week period where we play all of last year's top 4 back to back. Baz was never a chance of being sacked this year though imo. Too soon. People who want him sacked based on a year with a shit team and 5 rounds playing mostly top sides, and we haven't completed the rebuild yet, are ridiculous imo.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys watched NRL 360 last night. But to listen to Robbo talk, it really showed how a coach needs to think about the game. Would love to hear Barrett talk like that.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys watched NRL 360 last night. But to listen to Robbo talk, it really showed how a coach needs to think about the game. Would love to hear Barrett talk like that.
Manly made top 4 last year with a coach that can barely speak at all.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you must remember ls
You and I have different interpretations of quality. Apart from Burton, JAC and maybe TPJ on the bench who makes the Penrith side from our side…
Last season you would have asked a similar question, who from the Dogs would make the Storm side? You would have quedtioned my sanity if I had said Reimus Smith and Nick Meaney.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They need time together to improve.
This consideration is really important. Penriff remains the youngest squad in the NRL, despite being in the top 2 (with Strom), and being premiers. The key reason is simple, most of the players have been playing next to each other for years, all through juniors. The work that has been done to stack our juniors with good young talent from across the state and Queensland and get them playing and training next to each other week in week out is directly in response to this.

Even IF Baz is the worst coach in the last 20 years, this factor (that they need time together) means he has to be given a certain amount of time before being fired (or not re-signed, more likely). Firing him too soon would make it very difficult to hire a decent replacement for this simple reason, prospective replacement coaches would have little confidence that they would be given enough time with a team that is mostly new to each other. They would not accept that they would be allowed to fail and try to get up again and improve.

So people can carry on all they like, give themselves a tumor with stress because they want Baz gone already, it isn't going to happen, yet. It was evident within 2 months that Pay was never going to get anywhere, why was he hung onto for almost 3 seasons? Because of this reality, clubs who don't give a coach a decent amount of time ruin their chances of getting a good replacement. If Baz doesn't walk, or isn't sacked for reasons unrelated to the teams performance (maybe he gets caught making illegal bets or something), the club are unlikely to sack him. They will sign a new coach to take up the role after Baz's current contract expires. If that happens it will most likely be the moment Baz walks.

So our fans really need to accept it and support the team, why does anyone think Gus keeps using that word "patience"? Once Madge said no to us, Baz was the most experienced candidate available who said yes and he has at least put loads of energy into the role, and along the way has paid attention to our history and values as a club. I respect him for that. Plus, we have some decent players now.

Last edited:

astro_boy77

Waterboy
Reaction score
This consideration is really important. Penriff remains the youngest squad in the NRL, despite being in the top 2 (with Strom), and being premiers. The key reason is simple, most of the players have been playing next to each other for years, all through juniors. The work that has been done to stack our juniors with good young talent from across the state and Queensland and get them playing and training next to each other week in week out is directly in response to this.

Even IF Baz is the worst coach in the last 20 years, this factor (that they need time together) means he has to be given a certain amount of time before being fired (or not re-signed, more likely). Firing him too soon would make it very difficult to hire a decent replacement for this simple reason, prospective replacement coaches would have little confidence that they would be given enough time with a team that is mostly new to each other. They would not accept that they would be allowed to fail and try to get up again and improve.

So people can carry on all they like, give themselves a tumor with stress because they want Baz gone already, it isn't going to happen, yet. It was evident within 2 months that Pay was never going to get anywhere, why was he hung onto for almost 3 seasons? Because of this reality, clubs who don't give a coach a decent amount of time ruin their chances of getting a good replacement. If Baz doesn't walk, or isn't sacked for reasons unrelated to the teams performance (maybe he gets caught making illegal bets or something), the club are unlikely to sack him. They will sign a new coach to take up the role after Baz's current contract expires. If that happens it will most likely be the moment Baz walks.

So accept it and support the team, why do you think Gus keeps using that word "patience"? Once Madge said no to us, Baz was the most experienced candidate available who said yes and he has at least put loads of energy into the role, and along the way has paid attention to our history and values as a club. I respect him for that. Plus, we have some decent players now.
Well said,
Also remember what Steve Hansen said about stability. But hey according to people here what would he know?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But you must remember ls
Last season you would have asked a similar question, who from the Dogs would make the Storm side? You would have quedtioned my sanity if I had said Reimus Smith and Nick Meaney.
We just don't have that top end quality in key roles yet notably halfback. Hooker we will next year. You'd assume it's Maloney and they maybe BBO as the utility next year.

Melbourne are different they have the best coach in the land they can play C graders and make them Origin players, he's that good Bellamy. Who was that useless centre for us that played for QLD the next year under Bellamy?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Tigers x2, Warriors, Raiders, Dragons, Cowboys, Broncos and Titans
If you're backing us to win all of those games, you're very optimistic, COVENS.....lol. Although I'm there now, which does boost our chances a little. bang bang

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
This is the problem with signing a dud coach. Once the contract is inked, you have to give them time so you don't end up looking like a basket case reactionary club like the tigers. So, what's the solution? Don't sign a dud coach to begin with.