Ryan Grey

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is often a big gap between being good against other schoolboys and junior reps and being able to cut it against the monsters that generally filter into the NRL. As Malla mentioned, the current system has a tendency to let some talent fall through the cracks because if by 21 they're not physically developed, they often find themselves in a position where the paid contracts dry up and they're forced into other jobs to pay the rent.

In part I see that as a really big issue for the ongoing ability for the NRL to keep producing the best players. I look at a player like Curtis Rona who didn't quite break into the NRL by 21 that was forced to club hop for a few years before having a breakout season at 23yo. Going back a bit I recall seeing Paul Rauhihi having fulfilled a role as a modestly paid reserve grade player until he signed with us at 26 or 27 years of age by which stage he'd become a very good player. I'd assume that players like them might be more common if the NRL saw fit to implement a system where the risk of playing semi professional football was balanced financially with the fact that even in the reserve grades you can still cop very serious injuries. I'm sure that some potentially great talent has walked away from the game because if you haven't made it by a certain age, the financial incentives are gone and it's probably easier to just play as a hobby when you have to work full time to pay the bills.
It's one of the deficiencies of the aged based lower levels and the differences in physical maturity which often masks football talent. Added to the non aged based competitions being held on different days and at different locations, out of sight out of mind.

Go Dogs
I miss when it was Under 23's Reserve Grade and the then 1st Grade at 3pm..

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I miss when it was Under 23's Reserve Grade and the then 1st Grade at 3pm..
I used to luv going to Belmore on a Sunday and watching all three games,
We would just sit on that hill no matter what the weather conditions
Not really sure but think the first game was about 12-15 kick off
Hardly ever went home disappointed.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
nasheed here,
never head of the kid, but if its true, it lends credence to the mcullough theory of getting a short term experienced vet here.

And its even more fuel for those who want Jacob Friend with us for two seasons.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There is often a big gap between being good against other schoolboys and junior reps and being able to cut it against the monsters that generally filter into the NRL. As Malla mentioned, the current system has a tendency to let some talent fall through the cracks because if by 21 they're not physically developed, they often find themselves in a position where the paid contracts dry up and they're forced into other jobs to pay the rent.

In part I see that as a really big issue for the ongoing ability for the NRL to keep producing the best players. I look at a player like Curtis Rona who didn't quite break into the NRL by 21 that was forced to club hop for a few years before having a breakout season at 23yo. Going back a bit I recall seeing Paul Rauhihi having fulfilled a role as a modestly paid reserve grade player until he signed with us at 26 or 27 years of age by which stage he'd become a very good player. I'd assume that players like them might be more common if the NRL saw fit to implement a system where the risk of playing semi professional football was balanced financially with the fact that even in the reserve grades you can still cop very serious injuries. I'm sure that some potentially great talent has walked away from the game because if you haven't made it by a certain age, the financial incentives are gone and it's probably easier to just play as a hobby when you have to work full time to pay the bills.
its a good point my white friend.

Rauhihi is a good example, he was considered the best prop at one stage somewhere around 30.

Forwards mature way later than backs. Not all, but some, the consistent pack leader hard nut types.

I can run off and endless list of examples. Mick Hodgson a recent example for us who hit his straps at 30.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah we did have Reed Mahoney too,before that Damien cook