Rule Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

I have a question regarding a weird rugby league rule.

I am dead certain/positive that in the NRL I have seen various dummy halves at the play the ball legally allowed to place one foot over the sideline whilst receiving the ball out of dummy half, in instances where the tackle happens right next to the sideline.

I recall seeing Buderus and Josh Hodgson doing this and maybe the Cowboys hooker as well. I cant remember his name, the good one with the similar name to the Broncos player.

My friends deny this exists and say I am getting confused with the same rule when it relates to catching a kick from the kick off (which I also know exists) but we nearly punched on over it.

Can anyone clarify what I am thinking of?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Rugby Leagues employs what's known as "electric lines" in the game, you cannot put your foot on the sideline. If you do, you're out. You'll notice many players who get tackled close to the sideline are cautious when they play the ball.

Other sports like soccer and tennis are lazy and do not employ this, and as long as the ball touches some part of the lines, it's considered to be in.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Brett shertwood used to do that all the time but don't quote me

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
This rule relates to the dummy half receiving the ball after a tackle.
Ive seen them with their stance with either one foot on the line or one foot over it.

I even recall commentators like Gus discuss the rule.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
40/20 they can do it.. likewise after a penalty kick.

Aside from that normally 1mm on the line is out (remember the infamous "Jarryd Hayne stepped on the line" during State of Origin).

That said, the NRL referees are so lazy policing the play the ball, anything is possible. Not to mention linesman are pointless in the modern game as they often do nothing.

Surely with the technology we have today we can create a virtual boundary and use that overlayed with tv cameras to replace linesmen.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its only the defensive player catching/taking the ball out as far as I know. As others said on the line is out, over the line is definitely out. I've never heard of this one, but happy to be proved wrong, but it doesnt make sense??

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think what you are referring to is, not the dummy half, but the player playing the ball.

Once a tackle is complete, that player can in fact touch the touchline, without being penalised for it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Brett shertwood used to do that all the time but don't quote me
Isn't it Ben Sherwin? Come on....if you're a fan, you could at least get the players' name right haha :p

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
40/20 they can do it.. likewise after a penalty kick.

Aside from that normally 1mm on the line is out (remember the infamous "Jarryd Hayne stepped on the line" during State of Origin).

That said, the NRL referees are so lazy policing the play the ball, anything is possible. Not to mention linesman are pointless in the modern game as they often do nothing.

Surely with the technology we have today we can create a virtual boundary and use that overlayed with tv cameras to replace linesmen.
I basically agree with all of this...but the NRL gas already made a pretty strong case to suggest it is highly proficient in misusing technology as well....

Those clowns would find a way to fuck any good technological advancement up I think.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think what you are referring to is, not the dummy half, but the player playing the ball.

Once a tackle is complete, that player can in fact touch the touchline, without being penalised for it.

Correct

http://www.webcitation.org/5maMKeFVP

This is from the Rules of the Game 2009 edition
Section 9

1. The ball is in touch when it or a player in contact
with it touches the touch line or the ground beyond

the touch line or any object on or outside the touch

line except when a player, tackled in the field of play,

on rising steps into touch as he regains his feet in which case

he shall play the ball in the field of play.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Correct

http://www.webcitation.org/5maMKeFVP

This is from the Rules of the Game 2009 edition
Section 9

1. The ball is in touch when it or a player in contact
with it touches the touch line or the ground beyond

the touch line or any object on or outside the touch

line except when a player, tackled in the field of play,

on rising steps into touch as he regains his feet in which case

he shall play the ball in the field of play.
Well there you go. I did not know that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.