Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The full apology:

"I give notice that, at the next sitting, I will move:

That

Today we honour the Indigenous peoples of this land, the oldest continuing cultures in human history.

We reflect on their past mistreatment.

We reflect in particular on the mistreatment of those who were Stolen Generations - this blemished chapter in our nation's history.

The time has now come for the nation to turn a new page in Australia's history by righting the wrongs of the past and so moving forward with confidence to the future.

We apologise for the laws and policies of successive Parliaments and governments that have inflicted profound grief, suffering and loss on these our fellow Australians.

We apologise especially for the removal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their families, their communities and their country.

For the pain, suffering and hurt of these Stolen Generations, their descendants and for their families left behind, we say sorry.

To the mothers and the fathers, the brothers and the sisters, for the breaking up of families and communities, we say sorry.

And for the indignity and degradation thus inflicted on a proud people and a proud culture, we say sorry.

We the Parliament of Australia respectfully request that this apology be received in the spirit in which it is offered as part of the healing of the nation.

For the future we take heart; resolving that this new page in the history of our great continent can now be written.

We today take this first step by acknowledging the past and laying claim to a future that embraces all Australians.

A future where this Parliament resolves that the injustices of the past must never, never happen again.

A future where we harness the determination of all Australians, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, to close the gap that lies between us in life expectancy, educational achievement and economic opportunity.

A future where we embrace the possibility of new solutions to enduring problems where old approaches have failed.

A future based on mutual respect, mutual resolve and mutual responsibility.

A future where all Australians, whatever their origins, are truly equal partners, with equal opportunities and with an equal stake in shaping the next chapter in the history of this great country, Australia."

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think thats the right step... PLZ NO RACISM POSTS

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what decision did they make re: compensation?

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't read anything about conpensation, will they get any??

::JuSt-BLaZe::

`ashley.
Reaction score
this is nothing compared to the original apology thread.. awwww..

but at least its racist free so far :grinning: bring on the apology.

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
Rudd is all about the big public gesture. Kyoto, indigenous apology, he loves it.

I agree with this one though in a way.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
who cares, sorry doesnt mean anything nowadays.
but at least its the step into bridging 2 conflicting communities (Aborigines and white Australians) together.

M

MikeyP..

sorry, has lost its meaning and i see no point in apologising, in something that we didnt do. But it is the thought that counts and if they are getting copensated, then thats' good. I guess.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I haven't read anything about conpensation, will they get any??
You can bet your ass there will be a massive legal ****fight at some stage to chase the compo. It could be next week, it could be in 50 years, but it will hapen.

M

MikeyP..

but at least its the step into bridging 2 conflicting communities (Aborigines and white Australians) together.
I dont see how the government saying sorry, affects the indigenous communities and their relationship with other folk. People are still going to have the same bias view about the indeginous community. So really, i dont see how this could bridge the two conflicting communties.

80fic...

You can bet your ass there will be a massive legal ****fight at some stage to chase the compo. It could be next week, it could be in 50 years, but it will hapen.
I agree, if anyone thinks saying sorry will change anything they are wrong.

do you think after the government says sorry they will just go back to normal like nothing happened, no they'll kepp whinging, nothing will make them happy imo

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a step in the right direction, its better than sitting on your hands

::JuSt-BLaZe::

`ashley.
Reaction score
There's no way we can really compensate for all that stuff.. it's not like we are going to go create replicas of the kids we stole and hand them back and go section off areas of land for them to return to their traditional lifestyles in..

What's more money going to do except fuel the current problems.. I don't think anything we or the government try to do is going to help the Aboriginal people move on peacefully anymore, it's up to them to move past this stage...

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my gripe. They have been receiving "Compensation" for years in the form of reduced payments for a lot of things.

Say sorry and let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.