Rovers sign nrl star maitua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Featherstone Rovers are delighted to announce the signing of 32 year old Australian utility forward Reni Maitua on a two year deal subject to Visa. Maitua is vastly experienced and has made 174 NRL appearances during his career with Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs , Cronulla Sharks and Parramatta Eels. Maitua has three caps for Samoa where he played a part in their 2013 World Cup and 2014 Four Nations teams .

Maitua started his career at Canterbury where he appeared from the bench in the 2004 NRL Grand Final victory against Sydney Roosters and played against Leeds Rhinos in 2005 in the World Club Challenge. He made 100 appearances for the Bulldogs scoring 23 tries before signing for Cronulla in 2009 where he made eight appearances. He then made 53 appearances for Parramatta Eels before returning to Canterbury last season making 13 appearances, scoring one try.

Featherstone Rovers Head Coach Andy Hay said "This is a massive signing for Featherstone Rovers and a statement of intent by the club. His playing record speaks for itself and he brings a wealth of experience to our dressing room. He is a uncompromising leader both on and off the field and will be big asset. We've done our homework and talked to people who have been working with him recently and he was highly rated.

"I've spoken to Reni and he is really eager to join Featherstone Rovers and help us achieve our ambitions of bringing top flight rugby league to the town. He has made it clear that he does not see this as a holiday but he wants to prove himself in the UK with Featherstone Rovers. He is excited about the new structures in place in our competition and wants to play Super League with Rovers. He will not only be an asset on the field but he will be helping to promote the club and lift the profile of Featherstone Rovers."

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/rovers-sign-nrl-star-maitua-16083/#ixzz3MO24jWk1

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exit number 2, enter I wonder who?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Klemmer is in no need of an upgrade, he got a fairly decent upgrade before last year, considering he had NIL first grade time

2nd phase play

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He wouldn't of got a game anyway!
Id much rather Minute or Elliott to come onto the bench.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Klemmer is in no need of an upgrade, he got a fairly decent upgrade before last year, considering he had NIL first grade time
He's now an Australian rep off contract in 2016. You may not think he is worth an upgrade but plenty of other clubs will think differently if we let him hit the open market

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who thought it haha maybe you could stretch it too former NRL star haha

Although I suppose for a division two team lachlan maranta would be an nrl star

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Would be surprised if he get's a visa TBH, no room or value for him in our FG team anyway. I wanted him to come back to the dogs and finish properly but it's all on him. Goodluck anyway Reni, hope you find whatever it is your searching for.............

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol NRL star, maybe former... Also not really feeling emotions of him leaving, he was kinda a waste of money plus he still has issues and I'd rather him not near our club.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would have preffered him in NSW Cup.. Handy for depth

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol NRL star, maybe former... Also not really feeling emotions of him leaving, he was kinda a waste of money plus he still has issues and I'd rather him not near our club.
Ouch.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him - as long as he has the right support in the UK though.

I don't understand the people that want to give him a kick on the way out, he still played in the NRL and for our club, yes he's made mistakes in his life but so have the rest of us.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him - as long as he has the right support in the UK though.

I don't understand the people that want to give him a kick on the way out, he still played in the NRL and for our club, yes he's made mistakes in his life but so have the rest of us.
Your probably right that I'm a lil harsh on him but I have the feeling he's still a loose cannon and I'm way too protective of my doggies to want him near the club. Besides he's not even in my top 20 odd players for our FG team so if he's got a shot somewhere else than go for it. Must admit I have never heard of a Featherstone Rover and as you pointed out, support. I doubt very much he will have it over there so could be a bad decision if he is still on tender ground?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your probably right that I'm a lil harsh on him but I have the feeling he's still a loose cannon and I'm way too protective of my doggies to want him near the club. Besides he's not even in my top 20 odd players for our FG team so if he's got a shot somewhere else than go for it. Must admit I have never heard of a Featherstone Rover and as you pointed out, support. I doubt very much he will have it over there so could be a bad decision if he is still on tender ground?
I didn't think what you said was harsh GrogDog but further up the thread people talking about "NRL star" etc isn't really necesaary especially considering most of us would never get close to playing a game in the NRL in our lives.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
WTF is a Featherstone rover ?
I had to wiki it. They are a semi professional English rugby league side in a town of 16,000 people. Bit like playing Group 20 for the Yanco Wamoon Hawks.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't think what you said was harsh GrogDog but further up the thread people talking about "NRL star" etc isn't really necesaary especially considering most of us would never get close to playing a game in the NRL in our lives.
Wait... Wait...

Are you saying he is an NRL star?

And what does us not being as good have to do with anything. My sister and her band play gigs around my home town and get paid to do so. They are all much much better than me at music and I will never be as good at them at it. Doesn't make them star musicians nor make me have to address them as such.

The only way Reni Maitua is a star NRL player is if you consider every single player in the NRL and some in the NSW Cup an NRL star. He was a fringe first grader.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wait... Wait...

Are you saying he is an NRL star?

And what does us not being as good have to do with anything. My sister and her band play gigs around my home town and get paid to do so. They are all much much better than me at music and I will never be as good at them at it. Doesn't make them star musicians nor make me have to address them as such.

The only way Reni Maitua is a star NRL player is if you consider every single player in the NRL and some in the NSW Cup an NRL star. He was a fringe first grader.
Sorry but your band analogy is like trying to compare an NRL footballer with a park footballer, they’re in two different categories. Using that as an example does a band that had hits in a different era (say the Beatles) deserve to be forgotten because that was a long time ago.

Reni at one stage was a handy player. As far as I am aware he is in our top 25 players atm. Yes he wasn’t going to see first grade in 2015 and yes he has made mistakes in the past.

My point is to say there is no need to disrespect players that have played NRL and for our club. If a club trying to make it back from relegation is excited by the prospect of signing him good luck to them.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but your band analogy is like trying to compare an NRL footballer with a park footballer, they’re in two different categories. Using that as an example does a band that had hits in a different era (say the Beatles) deserve to be forgotten because that was a long time ago.

Reni at one stage was a handy player. As far as I am aware he is in our top 25 players atm. Yes he wasn’t going to see first grade in 2015 and yes he has made mistakes in the past.

My point is to say there is no need to disrespect players that have played NRL and for our club. If a club trying to make it back from relegation is excited by the prospect of signing him good luck to them.
Yeah bust you would say the the Beatles were formerly the biggest musical act in the world, not that they are the biggest music act in the world.

Like we said Reni is a former NRL Star. And ok then. Ball Park Music are some bs indie band my sister used to play non stop. They are signed to some record label or another I believe. Are they star musicians then?

Status
Not open for further replies.