Routine Vs Spontaneity - Which are you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
I like routine. It keeps the panic at bay....i like knowng what time i have to get up, i try to schedule my mornings getting ready "ok half an hour to fiddle ass around, 15 mins to rush getting ready".....i like to set myself time frames for everything. I like to know what i am doing in advance. I always check train times if i know where i am going. Things like that. It keeps me from feeling anxious.

Although there are some days where i love doing nothing,spur of the moment decisions to go out with friends, making impulse decisions about what to do, what to eat, who to see etc.

But other than that, on work/uni days routine is the only way to get my through sane.
Are you my twin? LOL.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer routine the majority of the time.

And then I'll occasionally throw caution to the wind and just do something very random and impulsive (unfortunately I usually regret it later :whacky: ).

½

friend of stevie j
Reaction score
Although there are some days where i love doing nothing,spur of the moment decisions to go out with friends, making impulse decisions about what to do, what to eat, who to see etc.
same

just sittin by the phone waiting for someone anyone to call

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
im so bad at planning ahead....i like spontaneity sometimes

but since ive started uni ive lost routine in my life and feels like lifes just passing and im getting nothing done

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
every aspect of my working life is spontaneous, so i don't mind having a little routine in my personal life. nothing too serious, but i like structure.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
80% is military type routine so nothing is neglected if possible and emphasising on good time management

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
80% is military type routine so nothing is neglected if possible and emphasising on good time management
I like this synopsis - Do you have a military background ? Reserves ? Family ?
What about teachers ? Any of them in the family ?

Trying to get a picture of how your philospohy came about !

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this synopsis - Do you have a military background ? Reserves ? Family ?
What about teachers ? Any of them in the family ?

Trying to get a picture of how your philospohy came about !
GDay CK,
Im a reservist w/ the army and member of afp(fulltime job).Very simple yet effective philosophy i have adopted over time as a result of training.In military terms "boring" routine is what helps prepare for the bad unexpected events.Good time management will result in being able to cram more things in a 24hour period.I would love to be spontaneous if or when i win the lotto which means i'll have all the time in the world.Oh and i work 12 hour shifts so i def have to have a routine type day...Cheers

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
i like routine on a day to day basis but in the larger scheme of things i love spontaneity!

P

Paint.

lol

very spntaneous
yesterday i was planning to have a normal boring weekend
now this morning i was debating whether to go to the movies or pools
now ive decided its best to go swimming today and movies next week
and in two minutes ill have changed my mind

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well at the moment I am on holiday from uni and working so I have a bit of a routine going. Wake up, do nothing for 10 minutes, rush and eat breakfast, go to work at about 6.45am. Come home 6pm, shower, put on clean clothes, go on internet, have dinner, then go on internet or jam xbox for a few hours then go to sleep and do it all over again.

On weekends I just go to sleep and then wake up at like 3pm, and on Sundays I wake up early and watch All Blacks and Arsenal games then sleep most of the day afterwards.

I really don't have time to do much with mates because of my work hours unfortunatley. So hoping New Years break will be good.

mikey_mtp

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Spontaneous to the point where i get off the train at a random station, explore the area and walk home from there. I do the whole exploring thing way to often, even if it's not on my way home. Like the other day in the city, i stumbled upon a whole collection of random street art in different streets (art and about, methinks). Nothing too exciting. But still cool.

I'm going to take this spontaneous exploring thing interstate. Not sure when or how, but eventually i'll buy tickets to where ever and just walk around for a day or two. I'll do the same for overseas, as soon as i find out my favourite artist or band is doing a tour in the US/Japan, KABLAMO! I'll be there.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spontaneous to the point where i get off the train at a random station, explore the area and walk home from there. I do the whole exploring thing way to often, even if it's not on my way home. Like the other day in the city, i stumbled upon a whole collection of random street art in different streets (art and about, methinks). Nothing too exciting. But still cool.

I'm going to take this spontaneous exploring thing interstate. Not sure when or how, but eventually i'll buy tickets to where ever and just walk around for a day or two. I'll do the same for overseas, as soon as i find out my favourite artist or band is doing a tour in the US/Japan, KABLAMO! I'll be there.
If you didn't want to wait for a band to go you could uy a good backpack and get a ticket to Thailand (If all the protesting has finished).

From there you can explore Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapoore and i think you can even fly to China for about $100. I spent about 3 months backpacking through the first 5 for under $5000. Best holiday ever!

Plenty of cheap alcohol, lots of interesting things to discover, random people to meet/explore with and cheap accommodation. Activities ranging from floating down a river in a tire tube (drifting from one floating beer/drug vendor to the next) to rock climbing, elephant ridning, snorkelling trips, power boat rides, prostitutes, thai boxing classes, or just partying with cheap drugs if thats your thing. I had a mate with me who scoured every chemist shop in 5 countries for Valiums he found an opium den and bought from a couple of different people elsewhere too, pot was super cheap and ecstasy and MDMA were to be found. Theres also more serene things like temples, cooking classes, traditional dance shows & cultural displays. I didn't make the trip about drugs, for me it was mostly alcohol at night and exploring through the days.

Exploration was fun. You can hire anything from 100cc scooter (about $3/day) through to some bigger bikes, i met a couple who hired a jeep for 4 months for under $200 so theres not just bikes to choose from. Me and my mate set out with no particular destination and scooters full of petrol one morning in Malaysia and just explored. By lunchtime i'd found a temple full of snakes, a local DJ (who showed me & my mate how to get to a waterfall you could jump off to a pool 40m below and invited us to the club where he played that weekend), found three elephants that were being trained to work in the lumber industry and met a monkey that wanted to steal my camera case. We also had a massive seafood lunch for about the price of a happy meal saw some temples and got swamped by traffic for about an hour as it was getting dark when we got lost in the city during peak hour. That was a pretty typical day out on a scooter.

Anyway the thread was about spontaneity or structure. I'm pretty much completely spontaneous if i'm doing things on my own. I'm quite happy to organise something for a specific day but if i'm planning it it won't be rigid till maybe a day before. I can live a structured lifestyle but tend to enjoy spontaneity more.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

dk likes this.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Sounds mean. I plan to take this up in the future, except probably not in Auckland as some places aren't really safe to be exploring too much.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ideally, I like a balance of both!

I crave routine, especially in times of crazy unexpected drama in life. Every day I wake up, and within 30 seconds I have
Set up a mental schedule of my day with approximate time frames. I time allocate everything, especially in the mornings! 5 mins for breakfast, 20 for shower, 15 to get dressed etc
On a day to day basis, I normally like being prepared for the day ahead - otherwise I get an unsettled feeling- I like to know whats happening! I hate when we hop on a first train and my mates dont know times of our joining train! I hate being late!
These days it is rather routine - work, get home, do house stuff, weekend clean, and
Then certain allocated times to try and squeeze in social. Not like the days of uni, when I had plenty of free time so we would randomly do anything we wanted.
Basically, when life has handed you alot of things to deal with, if you dont have routine and schedule things can become even more stressful. Sometimes you have to HTFU and just be responsible.

That being said, I still hold my free spirit and sense of adventure, so I enjoy spontaneity on free days and when I can(mainly holidays)
. It shakes things up, makes things exciting and I love adventuring.
Ive been known to hop in my car and just drive without knowing where im going yet, swing by a mates house and say " we are going to the mountains. Get dressed"
Im spontaneous when it comes to piercings, shopping, interaction with others. If I plan those type of things, I find cons and wont do it.

But yeah, its about finding decent time to be spontaneous.

G

Gladiator.

my only routine is my saturday morning wank as i am home alone

mikey_mtp

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If you didn't want to wait for a band to go you could uy a good backpack and get a ticket to Thailand (If all the protesting has finished).

From there you can explore Loas, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapoore and i think you can even fly to China for about $100. I spent about 3 months backpacking through the first 5 for under $5000. Best holiday ever!

Plenty of cheap alcohol, lots of interesting things to discover, random people to meet/explore with and cheap accommodation. Activities ranging from floating down a river in a tire tube (drifting from one floating beer/drug vendor to the next) to rock climbing, elephant ridning, snorkelling trips, power boat rides, prostitutes, thai boxing classes, or just partying with cheap drugs if thats your thing. I had a mate with me who scoured every chemist shop in 5 countries for Valiums he found an opium den and bought from a couple of different people elsewhere too, pot was super cheap and ecstasy and MDMA were to be found. Theres also more serene things like temples, cooking classes, traditional dance shows & cultural displays. I didn't make the trip about drugs, for me it was mostly alcohol at night and exploring through the days.

Exploration was fun. You can hire anything from 100cc scooter (about $3/day) through to some bigger bikes, i met a couple who hired a jeep for 4 months for under $200 so theres not just bikes to choose from. Me and my mate set out with no particular destination and scooters full of petrol one morning in Malaysia and just explored. By lunchtime i'd found a temple full of snakes, a local DJ (who showed me & my mate how to get to a waterfall you could jump off to a pool 40m below and invited us to the club where he played that weekend), found three elephants that were being trained to work in the lumber industry and met a monkey that wanted to steal my camera case. We also had a massive seafood lunch for about the price of a happy meal saw some temples and got swamped by traffic for about an hour as it was getting dark when we got lost in the city during peak hour. That was a pretty typical day out on a scooter.
Sounds pretty awesome. I might give this a shot when i finish studying. It would be an awesome way to celebrate and i'm sure a couple of my mates would be up for an alcohol filled trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.