Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So my router just shit itself, overheated i think. Stupid question can you pretty much buy a new router, plug it in and be good to go?

@Mr Invisible @Hacky McAxe

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Being a wood working guy
I thought a different router question

I'll leave this one to the nerd experts

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So my router just shit itself, overheated i think. Stupid question can you pretty much buy a new router, plug it in and be good to go?

@Mr Invisible @Hacky McAxe
Depends what you're plugging it into. If you currently have a router and you plug it into a modem, then yep. Buy a new router and run a cable from the internet port of the router to the modem then go through the router setup. The router setup is straight forward.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Will need to be configured regardless if you run it in bridge or routing mode, as it'll need your ISPs username and password (if you run ADSL).

I run a Netgear D6300.. good bit of kit (wireless) and super stable. That runs as a router, and my cable modem (Netgear CG3100-D2is configured as a bridge.

I get awesome speeds out of it.

Normally though Modem > WAN of Router > Network. Make sure you change default passwords and upgrade the firmware on it before going live with it though.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Do you use a Moden-Router (AKA wifi-modem)? If so that cuts out your need to have a separate router. But yes as Mr. I said it needs to be configured first with your ISP-provided username and WIP code.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do you use a Moden-Router (AKA wifi-modem)? If so that cuts out your need to have a separate router. But yes as Mr. I said it needs to be configured first with your ISP-provided username and WIP code.
wifi router ?
You really should concentrate when using power tools, internet connectivity would be a distraction.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
wifi router ?
You really should concentrate when using power tools, internet connectivity would be a distraction.
I'm talking wifi-modem. You can get them from anywhere -JB, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman, it's a modem with a router built-in - saves you the trouble of needing an extra device lying around the house.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm talking wifi-modem. You can get them from anywhere -JB, Bing Lee, Harvey Norman, it's a modem with a router built-in - saves you the trouble of needing an extra device lying around the house.
I know. I'm just giving you shit.
Best not to ever take me seriously.
On a wifi modem, I got a bob lite from iinet a few years ago. Still have it. Works great. I have a pretty large house (3 levels if you include the garage and workshop) and I get wifi everywhere.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Will need to be configured regardless if you run it in bridge or routing mode, as it'll need your ISPs username and password (if you run ADSL).

I run a Netgear D6300.. good bit of kit (wireless) and super stable. That runs as a router, and my cable modem (Netgear CG3100-D2is configured as a bridge.

I get awesome speeds out of it.

Normally though Modem > WAN of Router > Network. Make sure you change default passwords and upgrade the firmware on it before going live with it though.
I have this baby....... for now lol

http://www.netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R8500.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Plus a couple of Netgear Prosafe switches (the metal ones) all running in CAT7 cabling throughout the house. Everything is hard wired, except phones and tablets.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of arsehole devices, I have an R7000 that I've had for 23 months. Died the other week so I sent it back to Netgear via Australia Post. A week after I sent it the RMA was still listed as "Not received", so I called Netgear. They said the didn't receive it. I gave them the tracking number, they made some calls, then they said they did receive it but I had to wait a few days. A few days later still nothing so I called Netgear. They said they hadn't received it. I gave them the tracking number again, they said they had received it but it takes up to 2 weeks. Today I received the router back. Netgear said they'd send me a new router, they sent back the same router and didn't repair anything. I called Australia Post and they said that it was delivered directly to Netgear and signed with a full name. I gave the full name to Netgear and they said that they never received it and Australia Post must have stuffed up. So now I have to hassle Australia Post to deliver it again for free and if I don't have a new router by this time next week... well, let's just say that I'll have a new router some way or other.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of arsehole devices, I have an R7000 that I've had for 23 months. Died the other week so I sent it back to Netgear via Australia Post. A week after I sent it the RMA was still listed as "Not received", so I called Netgear. They said the didn't receive it. I gave them the tracking number, they made some calls, then they said they did receive it but I had to wait a few days. A few days later still nothing so I called Netgear. They said they hadn't received it. I gave them the tracking number again, they said they had received it but it takes up to 2 weeks. Today I received the router back. Netgear said they'd send me a new router, they sent back the same router and didn't repair anything. I called Australia Post and they said that it was delivered directly to Netgear and signed with a full name. I gave the full name to Netgear and they said that they never received it and Australia Post must have stuffed up. So now I have to hassle Australia Post to deliver it again for free and if I don't have a new router by this time next week... well, let's just say that I'll have a new router some way or other.
If I was still in the disty business I'd have been able to give you a Netgear AU direct contact..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So you are dealing with a bunch of ***** on both sides?

Tell them I'm coming for them in 2-4 weeks on your behalf

Status
Not open for further replies.