OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 9 | Pre game | Bulldogs vs Tigers

Status
Not open for further replies.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've had a similar observation. Seems like all of the "teams I'd like to see" that are named on TK have at least 3 (many have 4) large forwards on the bench. CC has sometimes had 1! Another common critique of CC has been his use of the bench, which seems to be minimal. I'm starting to think that part of the CC style is that by default 11 out of the 14 players are expected to play 80 minutes. Of the 3 players that don't, one of them is going to start and get subbed and that is them done. That player plus two middle forwards coming off in the first and back in the second makes 5 of the subs for the game. The other 3 are being reserved for injuries or tactics.

So far as why we don't have many big boppers, we have a range of small forwards that are excellent at defense, they hit well above their body weight, and have less issues with lateral movement and keeping up with the play. But most important of all is our line speed, as has been shown by the data, in the first 7 rounds we have the best line speed in the comp. We make our metres with our defense, first and foremost. When it comes to making metres with ball in hand we are relying a bit more on our backs, and forwards with a bit of footwork like Presto and Curran. Hughes and King are getting some decent hitups and fast PTBs each game, and the team is getting better at responding to that, though Mahoney needs to cut back on his attempts to win penalties in the ruck and do more work to get the ball into the right players hands quickly when the opportunity comes up. Burton's boot is also winning us some handy metres.

This does show up in the stats, as a team we are:

1st for average running metres conceded with 1307. Next best is Panthers with 1367, 3rd is Storm with 1375, then Cows with 1387. By far the worst is Titans with 1596.

But:

17th for PCM averaging 500 (16th is 543, Phins, and 1st are the Raiders with 664).
14th for Run metres averaging 1591 (1st is Warriors with 1906).
6th for Kick metres averaging 620 (1st is Raiders with 671, but that could fall off a cliff with Fogarty out now).

Thing is that despite our low running metres stat, we are right up there for line breaks. Cows are 1st averaging 6.3, then us at 5.7, then Phins and Manly at 5.2. So we haven't needed big PCM in order to make line breaks. JAC is easily our leader for line breaks, with 8 from 4 games, but the rest of them are quite spread out among the team, meaning we have 8 players with 3 or more line breaks for the season. For comparison, Bronks have 5, Sharks have 4, Storm have 6, Eels have 4, Panthers have 4. Threats across the park baby!

One other stat that really stands out is chargedowns. We have 8 for the season, more than 1 a game. Tigers have 6, Raiders 5, Knights 3, there are 3 teams with 2, and the other 10 teams in the comp have 1.
I'm not a fan of 3 small blokes off the bench tbh,but the fact we are winning in a lot of the effort areas seems to be covering that ATM. That and the fact we are using the width of the field more helps us a lot too

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lot of supporters here worried about the ref screwing us over …. I really believe CC has instilled into the team to not even think about the ref, they can’t control refereeing decisions so why bother worrying about it, if there’s a stack of penalties, 6 agains, trust in your defence and team mates, play good footy, pile on the points and get the better of the ref by winning the game anyway .. keep doing that and the refereeing tables will eventually turn and start going our way ..

That’s the only way to take them on, win in despite of them ..

Even against Suttons best efforts to screw us over on Good Friday, we had plenty of chances to still win that game, if our attack had been better we still would have won .. they’ve improved in attack since that game … stuff the ref let their decisions lift them to play even better ..
We look much cleaner around the ruck now when were defending. It's getting harder for the refs to ping us with 6 agains

Bronze

Waterboy
Reaction score
I've had a similar observation. Seems like all of the "teams I'd like to see" that are named on TK have at least 3 (many have 4) large forwards on the bench. CC has sometimes had 1! Another common critique of CC has been his use of the bench, which seems to be minimal. I'm starting to think that part of the CC style is that by default 11 out of the 14 players are expected to play 80 minutes. Of the 3 players that don't, one of them is going to start and get subbed and that is them done. That player plus two middle forwards coming off in the first and back in the second makes 5 of the subs for the game. The other 3 are being reserved for injuries or tactics.

So far as why we don't have many big boppers, we have a range of small forwards that are excellent at defense, they hit well above their body weight, and have less issues with lateral movement and keeping up with the play. But most important of all is our line speed, as has been shown by the data, in the first 7 rounds we have the best line speed in the comp. We make our metres with our defense, first and foremost. When it comes to making metres with ball in hand we are relying a bit more on our backs, and forwards with a bit of footwork like Presto and Curran. Hughes and King are getting some decent hitups and fast PTBs each game, and the team is getting better at responding to that, though Mahoney needs to cut back on his attempts to win penalties in the ruck and do more work to get the ball into the right players hands quickly when the opportunity comes up. Burton's boot is also winning us some handy metres.

1st for average running metres conceded with 1307. Next best is Panthers with 1367, 3rd is Storm with 1375, then Cows with 1387. By far the worst is Titans with 1596.

But:

17th for PCM averaging 500 (16th is 543, Phins, and 1st are the Raiders with 664).
6th for Kick metres averaging 620 (1st is Raiders with 671, but that could fall off a cliff with Fogarty out now).

Thing is that despite our low running metres stat, we are right up there for line breaks. Cows are 1st averaging 6.3, then us at 5.7, then Phins and Manly at 5.2. So we haven't needed big PCM in order to make line breaks. JAC is easily our leader for line breaks, with 8 from 4 games, but the rest of them are quite spread out among the team, meaning we have 8 players with 3 or more line breaks for the season. For comparison, Bronks have 5, Sharks have 4, Storm have 6, Eels have 4, Panthers have 4. Threats across the park baby!

One other stat that really stands out is chargedowns. We have 8 for the season, more than 1 a game. Tigers have 6, Raiders 5, Knights 3, there are 3 teams with 2, and the other 10 teams in the comp have 1.

Where can I find this information? Cheers

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We look much cleaner around the ruck now when were defending. It's getting harder for the refs to ping us with 6 agains
Since when do the refs need a reason for the 6 again call? It is the biggest rort of a rule to ever grace the game. All the referee needs to do is wave their arm without any judgment or reason. Absolutely zero accountability for the decision.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Since when do the refs need a reason for the 6 again call? It is the biggest rort of a rule to ever grace the game. All the referee needs to do is wave their arm without any judgment or reason. Absolutely zero accountability for the decision.
I agree 100%. And we can't change that. But we give them far fewer actual reasons now. We much better in that dept this year

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the bludging defensive line
Yeh we double down on Cirro PCM and we win. We let these fuckers run and anything could happen attack Appi run the big boys at Galvin and keep the fullback turning in goal. Sutton our biggest worry.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

But:

Just wanted to say great post mate

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We haven’t had any big problems handling other teams stars this year. The Tigers can be dangerous on their day, but our game plans have been very good and I expect the same this week.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

But:

Three things spring to my mind:
Our support around the line breaks needs to improve…this week Burton needs stand deeper. And 3rd Hutch cant get tackled on 4th needs provide a kick option thought I heard Connor Tracy mention 4 th tackle in his interview

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Three things spring to my mind:
Our support around the line breaks needs to improve…this week Burton needs stand deeper. And 3rd Hutch cant get tackled on 4th needs provide a kick option thought I heard Connor Tracy mention 4 th tackle in his interview
Yeah there are improvements that can happen, have also seen Burton himself get caught with the ball on the 4th a number of times too. But overall our season so far has been built around what we are doing without the ball in hand, and we can expect things to stay that way, and hopefully our combinations and tactics with ball in hand continue to click better as the season goes on.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we're any hope of making the finals this is a must win. Certainly believe we should beat the tigs. Hoping we can smother them in defence and their bigger pack doesn't get on top in the wet.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Shame about the forecast rain. I really think our expansive play on the left would’ve led to a couple long range tries but might be difficult if it’s wet

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of 3 small blokes off the bench tbh,but the fact we are winning in a lot of the effort areas seems to be covering that ATM. That and the fact we are using the width of the field more helps us a lot too
we definitely need at least one more big body on the bench.. I thought that Poasa was pretty strong in his last game.. cannot play Taafe AND Haywood on bench... Morrin is a gun and plays above his weight so he's fine, but we need another big body as the Tigers have a big pack.. This is a danger game for us.. I'm worried.. I'd start Hughes, Push Curran back to 13, Mann on bench.. Taafe or Haywood dropped off bench.. IF Preston is fit, then i'd drop Salmon completely.. he's nothing special..

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From, "Game Day Guide: Round 9 v Tigers"
"With both the Bulldogs and Tigers vastly improving in 2024, the match is sure to be a thrilling local derby."
8th V 15th..?
I don't know about the tigers but we are defiantly on the improve!

Status
Not open for further replies.