Official Round 9 - Bulldogs vs Broncos - Discussion Thread

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lol...relax bro. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, he just can’t coach.

What the hell was Dib thinking when he signed him
All honesty I don't care if he is a nice guy, he can go be a nice guy away from our club.

And obviously Dib wasn't thinking when he signed him lol

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Softly softly bs cautious approach
Exact words were “rested”
He was cleared last week to play
Kid wants to play as I’ve mentioned earlier

I don’t think these muppets actually want to win
Appreciate the mail Finchie. Unfortunately while I love your mail, lately it always seems to be doom and gloom. Last week it was the gun hooker and now this shit

Do you know who is making this decision to rest him. Is it solely on Pay or is the medical staff involved? I get the fact that he was playing Flegg last year and he pretty much skipped CC so they might want to rest him so as not to mentally fatigue him but if he wants to play, let him play

The "rested" excuse I can tolerate although I don't agree with it but if he was dropped because Pay thinks everyone else in the backline is better than him then we're screwed

When you see him tomorrow, please tell him that most of us are filthy he's not playing and that were waiting and praying for Pay to get sacked.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The kid wanted to play last week and passed all protocols
He’s shattered not to be playing
And I’ll give u a tip
If pay stays on averillo won’t be re-signing from 2021
I think if Pay stays on, Averillo will not be the only one that won’t be resigning... the way he tosses the players around and plays with their minds and the fact that we have had no new recent signings (apart from Thompson) or any major sponsors... I really wouldn’t blame any of them if they moved on! Pay is way over his head.. I wish he stuck to harness racing! He would have done us all a favour!

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
What the hell was the current board thinking when they extended him
Well the same thing you will be thinking once you realise that no coach, even with the cash we have to buy players is thinking. We just don't have the cattle. I'm on Pay side. I'd like to see what he could do with a more talented team. Cause you can't just make us win with the players we have. If he bloods youngsters too early and we get big losses each week, then it will kill there confidence. You just bring players into grade slowly so it's more about the team performance. Not to mention you just can't chop and change the team each week. That will kill everything confidence wise in the club. Players will be thinking they have to make a big play each week just to stay in the top side. That leads to mistakes, not consistency which is more vital. Big plays will happen if players know there role in the team.

Most clubs like the Knights when they went on a rebuild get blown off the park each week. Pay has held them together, despite missing Foran his biggest ace card for the majority of his time.

I personally would prefer to give Pay another 1yr contract with an option for us to extend for another 2 years. Next year I could see us making the eight if we can get the right extra players. But no one is signing with us till we make that decision. So for the sake of better days ahead, lets get that deal done ASAP.

I'd also like Tolman to go to the bench, or even if we had the depth in the forwards, to be pushed to another club. I'm sure there are plenty out there who would jump at the chance to take him. While we would develop our forward rotation and understand if our props/locks can take that leap to full time starter.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ll see him and his sister tomorrow
I’m going to beg him to stay
If pay gets an extension and you care about the kids future I would tell him to find another club asap

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well the same thing you will be thinking once you realise that no coach, even with the cash we have to buy players is thinking. We just don't have the cattle. I'm on Pay side. I'd like to see what he could do with a more talented team. Cause you can't just make us win with the players we have. If he bloods youngsters too early and we get big losses each week, then it will kill there confidence. You just bring players into grade slowly so it's more about the team performance. Not to mention you just can't chop and change the team each week. That will kill everything confidence wise in the club. Players will be thinking they have to make a big play each week just to stay in the top side. That leads to mistakes, not consistency which is more vital. Big plays will happen if players know there role in the team.

Most clubs like the Knights when they went on a rebuild get blown off the park each week. Pay has held them together, despite missing Foran his biggest ace card for the majority of his time.

I personally would prefer to give Pay another 1yr contract with an option for us to extend for another 2 years. Next year I could see us making the eight if we can get the right extra players. But no one is signing with us till we make that decision. So for the sake of better days ahead, lets get that deal done ASAP.

I'd also like Tolman to go to the bench, or even if we had the depth in the forwards, to be pushed to another club. I'm sure there are plenty out there who would jump at the chance to take him. While we would develop our forward rotation and understand if our props/locks can take that leap to full time starter.
Ok mate,that's your pov fair enough,but I can't be bothered responding to that crap.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
If pay gets an extension and you care about the kids future I would tell him to find another club asap
The hate for Pay is unreal. Pay has proven elsewhere that he can teach defence. And he doesn't have the cattle to make a decent attack.

I'm not sure what gamble you think you would be getting if you just grabbed another coach. Its more like Russian roulette, you have no idea if it would work out, you just want change for change sake. Other than Craig Fitzgibbon who has a good word on the street, no assistant coach is jumping out as a contender for coaching us. Most available ex-first grade coaches haven't coached for a while for good reason. The others like Bennett would just be as a fill in until someone like Ennis could be trained up, but that's now a 3 year rebuild and Bennett likes a different style of footy that doesn't really suit the Bulldogs nor the NRL rules as they currently stand.

A decision needs to be made soon, for the sake of the club. I just don't think you can do your due diligence properly at the moment. Bennett if we got him, would prefer to keep it quiet so it would be hard to attract players to our club on the basis of his name, cause no one will know. He doesn't want to kill Souths season either.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Ok mate,that's your pov fair enough,but I can't be bothered responding to that crap.
You say it's crap. Though really you just have a mantra that says he is, without looking at the whole picture. Geez, even every talking head on TV acknowledges that he just doesn't have the cattle to succeed. I can see what the Bulldogs are trying, but those speed men even trying to get Remisis closer to the ball, just aren't able to get those breaks.

I know people want success, I doubt we can buy it, just by changing coaches.

Look at Madge at the Tigers. He is doing the exact same thing as Pay is. Keeping players in a role, changing some to see what he has, cause Madge knows he hasn't got the cattle either, it's just his cattle are better than ours. Madge is looking for players for next season, and he needs to ensure that he tries all his out properly. I'm sure there are plenty at the Tigers that aren't getting the opportunity to show there wares as well.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The hate for Pay is unreal. Pay has proven elsewhere that he can teach defence. And he doesn't have the cattle to make a decent attack.

I'm not sure what gamble you think you would be getting if you just grabbed another coach. Its more like Russian roulette, you have no idea if it would work out, you just want change for change sake. Other than Craig Fitzgibbon who has a good word on the street, no assistant coach is jumping out as a contender for coaching us. Most available ex-first grade coaches haven't coached for a while for good reason. The others like Bennett would just be as a fill in until someone like Ennis could be trained up, but that's now a 3 year rebuild and Bennett likes a different style of footy that doesn't really suit the Bulldogs nor the NRL rules as they currently stand.

A decision needs to be made soon, for the sake of the club. I just don't think you can do your due diligence properly at the moment. Bennett if we got him, would prefer to keep it quiet so it would be hard to attract players to our club on the basis of his name, cause no one will know. He doesn't want to kill Souths season either.
I have stated on numerous occasions that I liked pay as a player, and he seems like a great bloke I have no hate for him at all, but he is NOT AN NRL STANDARD COACH FFS. and if you cant see that its a fucking waste of time hashing over all the reasons why he isn't .

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I have stated on numerous occasions that I liked pay as a player, and he seems like a great bloke I have no hate for him at all, but he is NOT AN NRL STANDARD COACH FFS. and if you cant see that its a fucking waste of time hashing over all why he isn't .
Yeah so you got nothing. As I pointed out, he is doing the exact same things as Madge, who ran from this club when he saw our situation. Pay has been dealt shit hand. But your commentary on pay as compared to people who actually analyse the game for a living, who think he is doing a good job with what he has, is very far off the mark.

I think I will stick to the experts opinions.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah so you got nothing. As I pointed out, he is doing the exact same things as Madge, who ran from this club when he saw our situation. Pay has been dealt shit hand. But your commentary on pay as compared to people who actually analyse the game for a living, who think he is doing a good job with what he has, is very far off the mark.

I think I will stick to the experts opinions.
congratulations you make fine sheep, you don't like my opinion on pay and the cub? then don't fucking read it.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, his returns are not strong. Think apart from being able to catch, he will be more likely to be pushing up in support on any breaks we make and his broken field running is good. We have been so poor in this area.
Meaney has the ability to jump, catch, land and accelerate fast in quick succession. DWZ cannot do that. He has harder hit ups but needs time to catch and time to wind up. Last weeks game showed the evidence of that.

And yes, we need support runners that can accelerate through a small gap, rather than lumber up into a defender.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There's literally no difference.
All a lock is, is just a spare forward. I'm even a little surprised the modern game still has them.

Can be a third prop (Taumololo), or a ballplaying runner (Anasta) or a third second rower (Elliott).
You just gave 3 differences there. Or a Bradley Clyde or a defense gun like Stagg or Johnson back in the day.
Josh Jackson should be at lock. Thompson prop off the bench in his first game. 20 minutes in

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So kind of offloaded quickly?
Perhaps it was the dropping it cold at DH, having it miraculously deflect off his knee, then take a step forward, accidentally kick it 2m forward, and have the Souths player so dazzled by the sheer dumbfuckery of the move he knocked on.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You say it's crap. Though really you just have a mantra that says he is, without looking at the whole picture. Geez, even every talking head on TV acknowledges that he just doesn't have the cattle to succeed. I can see what the Bulldogs are trying, but those speed men even trying to get Remisis closer to the ball, just aren't able to get those breaks.

I know people want success, I doubt we can buy it, just by changing coaches.

Look at Madge at the Tigers. He is doing the exact same thing as Pay is. Keeping players in a role, changing some to see what he has, cause Madge knows he hasn't got the cattle either, it's just his cattle are better than ours. Madge is looking for players for next season, and he needs to ensure that he tries all his out properly. I'm sure there are plenty at the Tigers that aren't getting the opportunity to show there wares as well.
But Madge is playing his players in their best positions. There's not too many that are out of position and playing worse than if they were in the correct position. And when he sacked Benji, he stated why and it was a good reason. Why has Averillo been sacked? I accepted last week for concussion. But this week?

He shits all over Monti every time. Did anyone else expect Monti to stuff up his try last week? I know I did, and was genuinely surprised he caught it and scored.

When Foz gets injured again, who do you honestly think Pay will replace him with...Averillo or Lewis? One guess and it ain't Jake.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
But Madge is playing his players in their best positions. There's not too many that are out of position and playing worse than if they were in the correct position. And when he sacked Benji, he stated why and it was a good reason. Why has Averillo been sacked? I accepted last week for concussion. But this week?

He shits all over Monti every time. Did anyone else expect Monti to stuff up his try last week? I know I did, and was genuinely surprised he caught it and scored.

When Foz gets injured again, who do you honestly think Pay will replace him with...Averillo or Lewis? One guess and it ain't Jake.
All of my tiger mates complain about their players being out of position too. The club are doing the right thing by Averillo and he’ll be back mate. If he wants to sook and leave his choice

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score

Is Averillo ready for that role? You might think he is, but your not the coach. Has he been working on his kicking game? How will he go with lots of traffic being run at him all the time? Is he a leader? Can we afford to have 2 rookies in the halves with stuff all games between them?

As for his concussion. I'm happy to sideline him for an extra week. THis season is a write off, so player welfare is more important than anything else so we have him for the long term. Don't need someone who is talented being forced into playing when really we want him to develop for the long term.

And Madge has changed that team around a lot. And I guarantee the team will look again a lot different is the weeks to come. As I said, he just has better talent to choose from. Even if his hands are somewhat tied due to the contracts that were signed previously.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is Averillo ready for that role? You might think he is, but your not the coach. Has he been working on his kicking game? How will he go with lots of traffic being run at him all the time? Is he a leader? Can we afford to have 2 rookies in the halves with stuff all games between them?

As for his concussion. I'm happy to sideline him for an extra week. THis season is a write off, so player welfare is more important than anything else so we have him for the long term. Don't need someone who is talented being forced into playing when really we want him to develop for the long term.

And Madge has changed that team around a lot. And I guarantee the team will look again a lot different is the weeks to come. As I said, he just has better talent to choose from. Even if his hands are somewhat tied due to the contracts that were signed previously.
But isn't the concussion protocol state that players need to be rested for a week? Why the extra rest? Is it as serious as first thought?