OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 7 | Pre game / Game Day | Bulldogs vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good call on leaving Tracey at FB which is what I personally expected given last weeks performance.

I think Sammy Hughes will play big minutes and Hayward will play Kurt Manns role off the bench. Taffe will probably be cover or come on in the halves for Hutch with 15-20 to go IMO.
At least we have players that understand there roles.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think both Taafe and Hayward will start off the bench either Taafe starts at 1 or 7 relegated to 18th. I can’t see Hayward being named in 14 and later being told you’re not playing especially so new into his career.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does anyone know where we're training ATM?

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope the boys keep the intensity up for this one. It’s very winnable but we haven’t earned the right to get complacent against any team and I’m a bit worried we’ll be a bit flat after the Storm game. Hope I’m wrong but this should be seen as a must win going into the bye. This game I think will tell us a lot about how serious we are about making the 8.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see us winning by a large margin if we are relentless with our attack. A crafty halfback would be a massive point of difference and Hutchison just doesn’t have the skill or talent. He’s done a job for us in steadying our attack but now it’s time to be aggressive and make a positive change. I’m sure Ciro is seriously contemplating this
not confident with hutch at halfback...sick of seeing him in the team

LucasFitzo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is no way CC is going to chuck in Taafe at halfback with no training there coming off a concussion lol

Much more of a chance off the bye when he would have a couple of weeks training at the spot to get some legs into the position.
Best hope would be they leave him on the bench and if Hutcho is being Hutcho again, give him a go at the end of the game to see how it handles it.
But he is a million one to start at half lol

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been good reading through all the views on the team list and the differing opinions.

It seems a vast majority don't want Hutch in the team, and are happy for him to be replaced by Sexton, Taffe amongst others.

I must admit that I find this puzzling ...

We all know Hutch isn't the long-term answer to our halves problem, and he's just a short-term fix till our youngsters come through. No one is claiming any different.

But ...

We've actually performed really well of late. Against Melbourne we were arguably the better team, and choked it. Same could be said about Souths.

That last pass has been missing. That little bit extra understanding amongst players. Maturity to slow the game down. Knowledge of how to see put the game ... which is understandable as none of them are used to winning as a team with the dogs. It takes time.

It sucks but we've been so so close.

Why would we change it up now?

Why would we start a player who's been playing fullback at halfback? How does that make sense?

Why would we start a player who hasn't been setting the world on fire in ressies at halfback? And wasn't the solution last year when playing there?

Just because we all know we can do better at halfback, doesn't mean we should just settle for anyone.

While Hutch hasn't been setting the world on fire, he's been a part of our much much better play this year and we shouldn't overlook that.

For mine, Burtons kicking game especially in the closing 10 last week was more damaging than Hutch's performance. But Hutch is the problem?

The entire team was immature but I hope we learn from it. I'm sure we will with CC and Taylor

Onwards and upwards I say. With hutch at 7 .. for now lol
I get where you’re coming from Tas,

But I feel what prompts this topic is some of those losses (especially Souths & Storm) should have been wins …. they played good tough hard footy to get themselves where they needed to be to ice those games (despite Sutton/Ref bias) unfortunately our 7 was either to slow to take advantage of some of those better opportunities, or he flat out made the wrong choice … double pumped then died with the ball, didn’t see the overlap and get the ball to the right player at the right time, didn’t get it to Burton for the right kick..and it’s not a once off, it’s multiple times over the first 6 rounds ..

Whilst it’s great for all us long suffering supporters to see them come together and play some good footy, it’s still a bit disappointing to see them work so hard and just lose it at the end because of wrong decisions.

So it’s natural for supporters to ask the question and debate it, “if Taaffe or Sexy had been playing 7 would we have iced those games, would we have been 4/6 and in the 8 …… the other side of the topic is, if we persist with Hutch and the same mistakes are made, could that be the difference between us just missing the 8 this year ..

Personally I’d like to see Hutch start against the Knights this week and have Taaffe on the bench, if we get some points on them, bench Hutch and bring Taaffe on for a while, let’s see what he can do, I think Souths cancelled the Taaffe at 7 experiment way to early and he suffered for other players short comings and laziness ..

Taaffe’s chip over the top for Wilson to score against the Roosters showed me he’s smart, he’s aware of what’s happening in the game and is a quick thinker .. plus he has the speed to take advantage of those opportunities ..

Start with Hutch, get some points on them, and then bring on Taaffe, let’s take a look at him … another option is when we play the Tigers, start with Hutch, have Sexton on the bench, if we get some points on them, bring on Sexton, let’s see what he’s got .. if they’re not working out, get Hutch back out there ….. 2 perfect games coming up for this and both low risk options to see if there’s better options at 7 that can help us go on a winning run.

jmo …

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopeful of a win in this one, not overly confident though as the Knights are a tough side. We are still learning how to win i believe, we have effort and have improved defensively no doubt. Titans were terrible, chooks nearly got us and we couldn't close out winnable games against rabbit and storm.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Taaffe actually is on the bench then I fully expect Ciraldo to give him a run at 1/2 sometime during the game.

Always a Bulldog
i think that Ciraldo was broken when kitone katgua (however you spell his name sorry ) missed that tackle in thin air. Could be hurting heaps that Kurt Mann is missing and I’m thinking hutch would suit the role of Mann big body, knows how to play that role. Having taffee and burton could work however might be scary with KPP running over taffee. Who knows wouldn’t hurt to try taffee in 7 to see if we have a position there for him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
i think that Ciraldo was broken when kitone katgua (however you spell his name sorry ) missed that tackle in thin air. Could be hurting heaps that Kurt Mann is missing and I’m thinking hutch would suit the role of Mann big body, knows how to play that role. Having taffee and burton could work however might be scary with KPP running over taffee. Who knows wouldn’t hurt to try taffee in 7 to see if we have a position there for him.
I'm sure Ciraldo will appoint a body guard for Taaffe if he plays 1/2.

Always a Bulldog

dawso047

Kennel Established
Reaction score
There is no way both Taffe and Hayward will be on the bench. Some might think that Taffe is hard done by if he doesn't make the 17, but how hard done by is he? He is not Ponga, Walsh, Edwards etc he has no recent experience playing in the halves. Tracey himself is probably only keeping the spot until Papali'i is given a chance later this year or the beginning of next year, unless the Dogs have gone cold on Papali'i they might have as there is no news or rumours of him being given a top 30 deal.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no way both Taffe and Hayward will be on the bench. Some might think that Taffe is hard done by if he doesn't make the 17, but how hard done by is he? He is not Ponga, Walsh, Edwards etc he has no recent experience playing in the halves. Tracey himself is probably only keeping the spot until Papali'i is given a chance later this year or the beginning of next year, unless the Dogs have gone cold on Papali'i they might have as there is no news or rumours of him being given a top 30 deal.
I agree he just got outplayed for his spot unlucky for him but competition for jerseys is exactly where we need to be.

Moey91

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the first set, Burto sends up bomb, someone folds Ponga like a pamphlet, we win and live happily ever after . . .
Thats if anyone actually chases the kick. We just hope someone drops it

Status
Not open for further replies.