Official Round 4 Vs Warrior

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the late charge the Tigpies made will put us in a better position to remain switched on for this one. If we'd had a big win as it seemed we would, the team might go into this one with a more complacent attitude.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The latest release from the club yesterday on injured players has him back next week in round 5.
Gus said round 8 in his podcast this week

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Its a must win for us. Warriors are a team we can beat and should beat. I don't think we can beat teams like Panthers, Roosters just yet but we must beat the warriors.
Warriors will be our toughest game so far this year, hardly a team we should beat when you consider our outs.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
King 53 min
Sutton 46 min
Limiting King to 53 and coming away with the win is actually a good effort. With the new bloke from west tigers, Davey back and will probs come into first grade after a run in reserves this week, Hughes and TPJ very close with Hughes possibly available next week, but will probs get a run in Cup first. Our forwards problem looks like it will start getting better from about round 6. Dragging one or 2 more wins before then would be huge. Had a crazy thought, what if we played Kiraz at lock for a game or two, would allow us to bring in Skelton at right wing/centre. Kiraz is basically playing as a forward anyway and his defence is pretty solid. Was looking at Toos game last night and Kiraz has him covered.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Sutton and Tanner are being monstered in the middle, then Topine will too.
Not quite the stupidest observation offered on TK, but a worthy contender.
For the sake of argument, let's concede "Sutton and Tanner are being monstered in the middle" (I don't agree, but...)

Topine, a different player to both, would get monstered too? Why? Must be because of size, right?

Tell it to Reuben Cotter. Same height & weight, but 3 years older (more developed).
Cotter had his breakout season last year (2022).
If he were available to play in the middle for the Dogs, you can only imagine the thread count.
Not saying Topine is Cotter yet (& he might not reach those heights) but the potential is most definitely there, & size will not be the limiting factor.

where does Topine fit?
#13: You get 80mins of high work rate, high mobility, fast play-the-ball, excellent defence, & enthusiasm.
A complimentary style that sures up the middle, especially when fatigues begins to become a factor.

Kikau & Preston: left & right edge
RFM Interchange Prop.

A nicely balanced pack.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latest release from the club yesterday on injured players has him back next week in round 5.
I reckon it’s up in the air as it sounds like it’s difficult to know for sure. Hopefully he’s back next week, but don’t hold ya breath if he’s not back before rd.8.

The good thing is, we’ve been winning without 2 of our most important starters, which last season would’ve been extremely unlikely. At least we’ll get T back soon and iirc Ciro said Thompson is aiming at returning round 14 which is much better than what we initially expected.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the sake of argument, let's concede "Sutton and Tanner are being monstered in the middle" (I don't agree, but...)

Topine, a different player to both, would get monstered too? Why? Must be because of size, right?

Tell it to Reuben Cotter. Same height & weight, but 3 years older (more developed).
If he were available to play in the middle for the Dogs, you can only imagine the thread count.
Not saying Topine is Cotter yet (& he might not reach those heights) but the potential is most definitely there, & size will not be the limiting factor.

#13: You get 80mins of high work rate, high mobility, fast play-the-ball, excellent defence, & enthusiasm.
A complimentary style that sures up the middle, especially when fatigues begins to become a factor.

RFM Interchange Prop.

A nicely balanced pack.
Valid points but Topine is clearly not favoured for some reason. He struggled to get a game under Baz and still under Potter and now Ciro. I can only surmise it’s his lack of impact. He has a high work rate and high energy, but doesn’t have the impact of a guy like Cotter.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a must win for us. Warriors are a team we can beat and should beat. I don't think we can beat teams like Panthers, Roosters just yet but we must beat the warriors.
Not saying we won't beat them, but playing the warriors at Mt Smart is never an easy game, and with how the Warriors have been playing lately I would say that the current Panthers at Homebush would be an easier task than the current Warriors at Mt Smart.

We will be a stronger team when we get some middle back, after Rd 14 when we should have both Thommo and TPJ back and combinations have had more time to work... I expect to see us competing against any team in the competition. I think consistency may still be an issue, but look out for when we consistently put 80 minutes together.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Not saying we won't beat them, but playing the warriors at Mt Smart is never an easy game, and with how the Warriors have been playing lately I would say that the current Panthers at Homebush would be an easier task than the current Warriors at Mt Smart.

We will be a stronger team when we get some middle back, after Rd 14 when we should have both Thommo and TPJ back and combinations have had more time to work... I expect to see us competing against any team in the competition. I think consistency may still be an issue, but look out for when we consistently put 80 minutes together.
Hi I can't disagree with this post however Warriors are so hot and cold and I fancy our chances more than the most consistent teams ie Panthers, Roosters. I think its a wonderful opportunity this week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we are any chance of making the 8 then its a team we should beat. Its a tough trip but Warriors also have some big outs
Warrior have played well this season and have much stronger forward pack than ours. Someone like Curran still can't make their 17 even with the few injuries they have.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Valid points but Topine is clearly not favoured for some reason. He struggled to get a game under Baz and still under Potter and now Ciro. I can only surmise it’s his lack of impact. He has a high work rate and high energy, but doesn’t have the impact of a guy like Cotter.
All packs need balance; a high-energy worker that goes all day and makes the 1%-ers when everyone gets tired. He's exactly what we need.

I actually think his form is a little down on previous years (he should have been playing more 1sts in '21 & '22).
2023 Probably has something to do with his off-season injury & shortened pre-season. Not enough time to impress the new coach yet.

You are right, he's not currently favoured, although after being demoted to Flegg early on (that didn't last long), Gus then went on to re-sign him for 2 years - so, I think he sees the potential, & acknowledges that the lack of lower-grade games throughout the lockdowns has hampered development for a number of players. He's happy to allow more time.

We'll see how (if) he comes on this year, & whether he can break into the top 17 or not.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon it’s up in the air as it sounds like it’s difficult to know for sure. Hopefully, he’s back next week, but don’t hold ya breath if he’s not back before rd.8.

The good thing is, we’ve been winning without 2 of our most important starters, which last season would’ve been extremely unlikely. At least we’ll get T back soon and iirc Ciro said Thompson is aiming at returning round 14 which is much better than what we initially expected.
The way Gus was describing it on his podcast, it has been a recurring injury.
In terms of straight recovery, he could play. But they're concerned about the underlying issue.
So, they're working on that problem and are happy to take a bit longer if it means not re-injuring.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

RFM Interchange Prop.

A nicely balanced pack.
Shut the fuck up dickhead. Was Topine punching out the metres when he played in the NRL? No he wasn’t. Other than energy and enthusiasm he showed nothing. No offload, no passing game, no big runs. Just made a few decent tackles here and there.

The current pack is lacking size as was shown up against manly and you want to add an even smaller forward to start?

You said it, Topine is no Cotter

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Shut the fuck up dickhead. Was Topine punching out the metres when he played in the NRL? No he wasn’t. Other than energy and enthusiasm he showed nothing. No offload, no passing game, no big runs. Just made a few decent tackles here and there.

The current pack is lacking size as was shown up against manly and you want to add an even smaller forward to start?

You said it, Topine is no Cotter
First time I seen you say "dickhead" :|

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time I seen you say "dickhead" :|
Haha I’m normally a patient person, but he wanted to start his post by saying “worthy of the stupidest post on the kennel” rather than debate/respond/discuss like a mature adult. I’m all for people having different views and counter arguments but no need for the insults