Official Round 3 v Manly Match Discussion

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Seems to be an unpopular take, but for all the people saying Wakeham or Flanno should be promoted this week, I personally think they both need more time in NSW cup to gain more confidence in their playmaking, and develop some consistency in their game.

If anything I would like to see BBO be given the chance at 7 ahead of both of them, with Cook brought onto the bench. BBO has that Barba-esque support play, and showed on the weekend that has dangerous footwork at the line to get on the outside of defenders and help attract more players before he passes.

But I think it's too early for any changes in our halves. If we drop Averillo this early, and Wakeham/Flanno underperform, it'll kickstart that same halves merry-go-round dilemma we've seemingly been in since the 'Hodkinson-Reynolds-Mbye' triangle of 2015.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Happy for him to be dropped when he comes up with shit reads but I don't think what happened on weekend was as much his fault. If anything two tries were more on burns
He is incapable of defending the way we need him to and his attack is also rubbish. He dead set set cats it with the line wide open and his early tackle carries aren't at the level we need them to be. He's literally a meme at this stage, NRL match threads are just opposition fans laughing at him lol. The solution is very simple, Naden wing. He scores those tries Okunbor doesn't, he is actually mobile and although he isn't a good defender he is still better than than Okunbor. Yes there's issue inside him just like there's issues on the other side but he's basically incapable of actually covering for errors.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the bigger concern will be in the centres and middle of the field when Turbo decides to prove he is Dally M again.

You can sweat on JOK all you like, but the damage will be done elsewhere if we don't shut Turbo down.

JOK will need to be alert but I reckon it will be JAC who will be targeted by DCE and Saab. The height variance is huge and it concerns me. Naden will have to cover JAC's wing on bombs

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I want to mention is about JAC. Okunbor rightly gets criticised for coming in of his wing when he doesn’t need to.

JAC at times does the same thing.

Remember the GF qualifier last year, when Crichton easily scored Penrith‘s first try, from a kick, with JAC well infield and out of position. i have picked up that a few times in the first two gsmes, he is coming in when not needed. Old habits might die hard.
How many tries have been conceded down our left hand side? Let’s not look for a problem that isn’t there

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
DCE will kick to Okunbur all night, if they kick behind he'll be out of position otherwise they will pressure with kick chase when he's trying to take the ball, any smart side would do that.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Okenturd is going for Manly's game ball so he can sit it beside Brisbane's game ball? Seriously what the fuck is wrong with Barrett. I have seen a turtle charge onto the ball and turn faster than that retard. I am gobsmacked that he has been selected. He will fucking lose us the game.....again!!!!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think the bigger concern will be in the centres and middle of the field when Turbo decides to prove he is Dally M again.

You can sweat on JOK all you like, but the damage will be done elsewhere if we don't shut Turbo down.

JOK will need to be alert but I reckon it will be JAC who will be targeted by DCE and Saab. The height variance is huge and it concerns me. Naden will have to cover JAC's wing on bombs
Baz hasn't got the brains to drop the dud pretending to be a FG winger, you think he has the brains to shut down Turbo?

We will play Manly back into form.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz hasn't got the brains to drop the dud pretending to be a FG winger, you think he has the brains to shut down Turbo?

We will play Manly back into form.
Shutting down Turbo isn't so much a coaching thing but rather a players thing.

In the 2 games against Penrith and East's, there was alot of on field talking about who is marking Turbo - even double teaming.

We will need to do the same if we are to shut him down but I reckon this week he will be given extra reign to float to wherever he wants to poke his head at. And so ALL our players need to be on high alert.

I agree though. I think we will play him into form. I feel we need about 6 tries to win

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If our forwards match their effort from last weekend I give us a chance of causing the upset. Manly’s pack is very underwhelming but we will still need a few things to go our way.

The major danger is that they click out of their form slump but Hasler coached sides tend to take a few weeks to hit form early in the season.
We tend to make opposition's find form against us

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watch Okunbor singlehandedly play Turbo and Co into form again.

Manly are going to be desperate to win this and Barrett is too stubborn to ever admit that Okunbor will never be FG standard
Okunbor has got what we need in the team, he’s a big strong damaging runner.
He just needs to tweak his defence