Official Round 3 v Manly Match Discussion

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO, the Cowboys & the Broncos are not in the bottom 2 squads for this season.

Because many story writers have them there (especially the Cowboys) they aren't giving us too much credit for our performances.

But many of those who do understand footy know and have expressed that we were the better side last week & were very impressed by our performance.

In fact all those in the media who were calling for Baz to be sacked pre round 1 and even after round 1 have piped right down because they know they will look like complete tosser's if they continue their attacks whilst this team in turn makes them look stoopid.

Fix our right edge defence & we will beat Manly convincingly through our middles and give back to Des where he is owed it.

Bulldogs by 10
Cowboys and Broncos have looked better than a few teams. Tigers, Warriors specifically, but Dragons and Raiders are also not great. I don't even think Souths and Roosters are very good anymore. Both 1 from 3 and have only played well in patches.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Manly's first game this year Turbo was everywhere but was very closely marked and well held. In their second game Des tried to counter the close marking of Turbo by using him a lot less, trying to draw defenders away from him. That didn't help because the rest of their team offered nothing, and Tom was still heavily marked when he did get the ball. It will be interesting to see what Des does next but we can win this if we dominate in the middle. We need early momentum.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make no mistake this game will be won and lost in the coaches box. Des will be working overtime in his lab to come up with a formula to blow the dogs out of the water. Baz won’t have a clue what’s coming and he won’t have planned for any of it. DCE will tear Knockonbor apart with his kicking and passing game. Tom will play off the back of that.

Baz only hope is to make changes to the lineup at the last possible moment.
People give Dez too much credit as a coach…he has never done anything without comp leading natural talents who were able to thrive & succeed despite Dez’s best efforts to sabotage the team’s performances!!
I had huge respect for him as a player but little to none as a coach. This view is even more skewed by the way he Dez-Troyed everything her at the Dogs!!

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Manly's first game this year Turbo was everywhere but was very closely marked and well held. In their second game Des tried to counter the close marking of Turbo by using him a lot less, trying to draw defenders away from him. That didn't help because the rest of their team offered nothing, and Tom was still heavily marked when he did get the ball. It will be interesting to see what Des does next but we can win this if we dominate in the middle. We need early momentum.
And to ensure DCE doesn’t get any 40-20’s….this could be enough to get their clunking team clicking & deflate our boys to the point they fold at brookie if it happens at a vita point in the contest…our middles have been strong in both our games while theirs have been below average…hopefully that propels us to a W

repolski

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People give Dez too much credit as a coach…he has never done anything without comp leading natural talents who were able to thrive & succeed despite Dez’s best efforts to sabotage the team’s performances!!
I had huge respect for him as a player but little to none as a coach. This view is even more skewed by the way he Dez-Troyed everything her at the Dogs!!
I will never forgive him for picking mbye at hooker for the 2014 grand final

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I would counter with the no try for Dufty. That pass would not be called forward most games, and in fact has been allowed in a few games since.
Dufty's try allowed, and we are up 12-4. That gives us a buffer, and makes it a whole different ball game.
For sure, it was a game in wet conditions that was most likely going to be close. I'll be unbiased and say I believe it was forward, the angle of the body didn't help though. Don't know why the nrl hasn't adapted the line that nfl use. Anyway there was still plenty of time from that point onwards as opposed to nearly losing it on the bell, We would have still had a chance to win. Which we did. All I was pointing out is that I believe if we don't change the right wing, all our great work can be spoiled from being a liability defensively. To be honest I think it was a tactical error from the opposition in both our games that they didn't target that side enough. It was even mentioned in the commentary

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sunday March 27 (6:15pm kick off)
Fortress Sookvale

1. Matt Dufty
2 .Jayden Okunbor
3. Braidon Burns
4. Brent Naden
5. Josh Addo-Carr
6. Matt Burton
7. Jake Averillo
8. Luke Thompson
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Jack Hetherington
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
13. Josh Jackson (C)

Interchange
14. Bailey Biondi-Odo
15 .Corey Waddell
16. Max King
17. Ava Seumanufagai

Reserves
19. Chris Patolo
20. Brandon Wakeham
21. Joe Stimson
22. Kyle Flanagan
23. Reece Hoffman
24. Joshua Cook
25. Aaron Schoupp

Referees: Ben Cummins;
Sideline Officials: Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski, Darian Furner;
Video Referees: Steve Chiddy;
What if the team was
1....Dufty
2....Averillo
3....Naden
4....Burns
5....JAC
6....Burton
7....Wakeham
8....Pangai jnr
9....JMK
10..Vaughan
11..Hetherington
12..Jackson
13..Thompson

14..BBO/Cook
15..King
16..Suemanufagai
17..Waddell

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What if the team was
1....Dufty
2....Averillo
3....Naden
4....Burns
5....JAC
6....Burton
7....Wakeham
8....Pangai jnr
9....JMK
10..Vaughan
11..Hetherington
12..Jackson
13..Thompson

14..BBO/Cook
15..King
16..Suemanufagai
17..Waddell
It's not. Either play Jake in the halves or centre or don't play him at all, playing him on the wing is ridiculous. The forward pack isn't changing, maybe TPJ bench because his fitness looks shocking at this stage but i doubt we'd see anything else.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not. Either play Jake in the halves or centre or don't play him at all, playing him on the wing is ridiculous. The forward pack isn't changing, maybe TPJ bench because his fitness looks shocking at this stage but i doubt we'd see anything else.
I like him in the centre but I thought start him on the wing and gradually get him used to tackling out wide.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I like him in the centre but I thought start him on the wing and gradually get him used to tackling out wide.
He has been tackling out wide already, plenty of time he defends inside the centre and has missed only 2 tackles all year. He has that sloppy play at marker that lead to the try against the Cowboys but other than that his defence has been fine. Wing is just not his position, he's going to get caught out way too much and we need a more powerful ball carrier. The answer is and always has been Naden so hopefully Baz hurries up and makes the call because we can't afford to have Naden out in the centre bombing tries because he refuses to pass the ball to JAC.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d be very surprised if Baz drops Averillo before he drops Knockonmore